Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joints removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
So I'm trying to remove the CVs from the wheel hub. I have 4 bolts out and the diagram from the Hains manual looks like there are just four bolts, am I missing anything?
Jeffs9146
Tap, turn, tap, turn....repeat.

I have used a come along to pull while tapping.
Harpo
I believe that there are also two roll pins that are a tight fit. You will most likely need to use a cold chisel & hammer to dislodge from the roll pins.

David
era vulgaris
I just did my CV's a few weeks ago. I couldn't get the CV joint to separate from the stub axle either. I ended up having to pull the stub axle out with the axle assembly and then separate them on the bench.
Dave_Darling
Yup, it's a pain. You may be able to get a prying implement and rock the CV back and forth; if you're lucky you can break the sticktion between the roll pins and the stub axle. If you're not lucky, you will have to follow Era's lead and remove the stubs from the hub and trailing arm, and remove them on the bench.

--DD
jwc914
Just did mine last week. I could not get the right side out until I put on rubber gloves. with extra grip I was able to grab it and slam it out, like a slide hammer.going back in was a real PITA
era vulgaris
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Oct 18 2014, 01:55 PM) *

going back in was a real PITA

That's the nice thing at least about pulling the stub axle, is that you can start the bolts for that side of the axle on the bench. Beats trying to get them in "blind" inside the trailing arm. Makes install much less of a pain.
stugray
If you are removing them with the intention of replacing them (you dont care if they are damaged), then use the axle as a slide hammer.
Of course you need to remove the inner end first.

This pounds the bearings against the bearing surfaces and risks breaking the cage.
IronHillRestorations
I take a small screw driver and very, very carefully break the gasket without scratching the sealing surface, then I use a plastic wedge to pry the CV from the drive flange.
stugray
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 20 2014, 06:53 AM) *

I take a small screw driver and very, very carefully break the gasket without scratching the sealing surface, then I use a plastic wedge to pry the CV from the drive flange.

You are skilled if you can do that down in the hole by the wheel hub.... biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
I use a thin putty knife to separate them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.