Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fix it myself or quit....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
ok, I am just about done.....

car runs great, except, I decided to teach my son how to drive....fast forward, we nailed a curb.

Looks like plenty of wrinkles in the front trunk,

Now I need to decide if i want to mess with it or part it out.
I am willing to put a couple of weekends into the repair if I can get it on a frame machine, beyond that...I might call it quits...
here is the damage...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

sb914
Fix it,if you sell it, you'll regret it.ive sold a lot of cars that I now regret.
Now your screen name matches you car! poke.gif keep it keep it.
crash914
my screen name is from the last car I restored and crashed....totaled about a month after a 4 year restoration.

This one was on the road since april. after 8 years off the road.
I did get 1st in class in autocross....so, meh, dont know if I want to fight it anymore....
r_towle
Fix it and always teach the boys on your wife's car.
crash914
can't autocross the wife's car...It was just too much car in the wrong spot...lost the rear, overcorrected and nailed the curb...about 50foot lockup...he was in first gear....
EdwardBlume
It's a fixer
Mikey914
T'is but a flesh wound.

No seriously, may cost a few bucks, but not a major undertaking. If the rest of the car is solid its a no brainer
Drums66
......Fix-it!.....& give the son a 914 tatoo(crash914) idea.gif
bye1.gif
crash914
anyone have a front pan jig? works for 911 from 65 to 89.

I need Scotty! any leads on a frame rack in maryland?
messix
go up to a power pole and wrap a chain around it and bolt the chain to the front torsion bar mount and back up on it a couple of good times to pull that back out....

I might have done some thing like this.... shades.gif
r_towle
It's a rectangle.
Measure the driver side a arm.
Build a jig to match both sides, make it square.

Rich
rick 918-S
I would fix that all day long and twice on Sunday if its a solid car. I would be happy to help but I'm too far away. I have a pretty good front panel and trunk floor I could ship
scotty b
Fix that. Any competent collision shop with a frame machine could fix that in a day. Check with Euro Pros. They seem to stay backed up ( a good thing ) but may squeeze that in since it is so easy

http://europroscollisioncenter.com/
crash914
Ok, fast forward...car is on the celette rack. looks like the right front was pushed up about 2 inches and the front mounts driven back about 7 mm..
final pictures show that all the pins are in and the car is square. Not shown was some bending to the rear. It could have been from the impact transferring to the rear due to the cage, but my money is a previous hit around the rear of the drivers door when this was a pca race car...

crash914
more....

crash914
and this one...

crash914
you can see the difference from the original front picture and the last one....wow! I want a frame rack for my shop...
stevegm
I see your in the midatlantic. Who did you take it to with a Cellete?
arkitect
Glad you opted for fixing it. Amazing what can be done with the right equipment, piratenanner.gif

Dave
r_towle
When I went to check my daughters cabrio the guy told me he was the fourth guy to put it on a frame machine....it had been pulled three previous times....

Good to see you fixed it.
crash914
Thanks to Euro pro's. See Scotties post above. Great guys, very busy shop. I am very impressed with how they were able to pull everything back. Plus, they now have jigs for the rear mounting points.
bandjoey
Great looking car. Glad you fixed it. More pictures when your driving again.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
VaccaRabite
Crash, where did you have this done?

I'd like to have my car racked to take out the slight twist I put into it while welding the longs. And of course the hits it took before I took ownership.

How much did you have to remove from the car?

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2015, 11:04 AM) *
How much did you have to remove from the car?

Everything ...
shades.gif
crash914
C orrect, everything. About 8 hours to get it on the rack. Its helpful that the front end is the saisme as a 911. The rear mounts were fabed. My chassis had a pretty good twist. I guess it took some doing to get the contact points down on the 4 corners. We have about 30 hours labor in it so far and I am doing the reinstall to keep costs down.
crash914
couple more....

final clean up.
piratenanner.gif
rhodyguy
Awesome.
altitude411
agree.gif What name brand of schmutz is that?
JRust
Looks great man! Great job
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 5 2015, 05:47 PM) *
What name brand of schmutz is that?

http://dict.leo.org/#/search=Schmutz&s...rdShowSingle=on
lol-2.gif
crash914
Ha, I think that the trunk stuff is "stone Guard" I am guessing its like Line X or something...undercoating.
crash914
You had to translate that? confused24.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2015, 09:44 PM) *

lol-2.gif

914dave
Is that the Euro Pro in Gaithersburg, MD? I would love to get my car checked before I do finish body and paint.
crash914
Yes, talk to Jack Ford. Very busy shop though. Rack time is precious. I think that Jack does this on his own in his spare time..
914dave
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 6 2015, 06:58 AM) *

Yes, talk to Jack Ford. Very busy shop though. Rack time is precious. I think that Jack does this on his own in his spare time..

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 6 2015, 02:00 AM) *
You had to translate that? confused24.gif
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2015, 09:44 PM) *

lol-2.gif

Me? No.

I posted the link for those who may not know the German word for dirt ...
shades.gif
sixnotfour
" Schutz "
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.