Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 ? need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnny02
hi everyone first of all i am from croatia and sorry for my bad english.... i want to know more information about this car on pictuers. is that 914/6 od 914 what year is it... as more informatisns as possible from these pictures...car has been in garage for 40+years and it has only few k miles biggrin.gif
Gustl
welcome.png ... from the neighborhood biggrin.gif

OMG it's really long time ago that I've seen a car with the YU sticker on the back
is MA on the license plate for Maribor?
this car was really long time off the road ...

it's impossimble to answer your question from these photos
it seems to have 5 lug fuchs, so it might be a 914-6 - but impossible to say

take a photo from the VIN and we could tell you more
it's on the passenger's side wheel well in the front trunk, as shown in this example:

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
johnny02
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 18 2014, 10:48 PM) *

welcome.png ... from the neighborhood biggrin.gif

OMG it's really long time ago that I've seen a car with the YU sticker on the back
is MA on the license plate for Maribor?
this car was really long time off the road ...

it's impossimble to answer your question from these photos
it seems to have 5 lug fuchs, so it might be a 914-6 - but impossible to say

take a photo from the VIN and we could tell you more
it's on the passenger's side wheel well in the front trunk, as shown in this example:

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

thank you, the problem is that i can't open the gagrage dors and the owner has not been there over 40 years, he moved to USA...i don't know even is he alive anymore...i'd like to know as many informations form these pgotos as possible...i am trying to contact owner and buy this car for few months... MA is for makarska in croatia (120km from dubrovnik)
Gustl
well then, it's really almost impossible to tell you any facts from these photos ...

so here are some thoughts:

it loos like the car would have an adjustable passenger seat, so it should be model year 1972+

Click to view attachment

in MY'72 there were only about 250 914-6 built - and only for Euro market

there is no PORSCHE script on the engine lid => Euro market
rear light lenses are Euro market

in MY'72 were two colours available, that might match that car: tangerine (like the car from my VIN example) and bahia red - hard to tell if the colour on your photos would be one of them
the car has wide body and rims, that are most likely installed later, so it might have got a repaint then
also the PORSCHE rear reflector is a later modification

there are some modifications on the car, so it's impossible to say if it started as a 914-4 or 914-6 from the factory ...
Gustl
oh - and maybe you should ask an admin to move this thread to the garage, so it would get much more attention

johnny02
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 18 2014, 11:36 PM) *

oh - and maybe you should ask an admin to move this thread to the garage, so it would get much more attention

i don't know how to do that sad.gif ...
Gustl
no problem - I'll ask for you biggrin.gif
Gustl
here we go aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
The wide fenders were not stock, they were added at some point. (A very very few had them added in the middle of production, but they were still added.) The car was almost certainly repainted at that point, so the color might or might not be the original one. The rear reflector is definitely an add-on; it is most likely a cut-down 911 part.

Wheels are relatively easy to change from four-lug to five-lug, so that is not a certain indicator of a -6. Almost all -6es were 70-71 cars (there were a few 72s) so the moving seat is a hint that the car is a -4; but it's not that difficult to swap the later seat in so that is also not a certain indicator.

Painted bumpers were standard on the 70-73 914-4 cars, while the Sixes had chrome bumpers. No sail panel vinyl covering was also stock on the -4, while the Sixes had the black vinyl covering. (The chrome bumpers and vinyl-covered sail panel were options on the -4 cars.) Both are easy to change, but it is less common to "downgrade" to the less-expensive appearance, so that hints more strongly that this started life as a -4.

Swapping in a six-cylinder 911 engine is somewhat complex, but is a very well-known change. So it might have a six-cylinder in there; possibly one that is larger and more powerful than the original Six motor, which was the least-powerful 911 engine ever made.

About the only way to be absolutely certain if this is an original Six or not is to look at the VIN.

Good luck in your search!

--DD
SirAndy
The black trim, body colored bumper and lack of sail panel vinyl suggest that this is a /4 chassis.

Buy it anyways! Everybody loves a barn find ...
smile.gif

PS: welcome.png
mepstein
offer $500 sight unseen.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
Easy way to get an idea if it's a six or a 4 is where is the key, on the dashboard or on the steering column?
tumamilhem
Where in Croatia are you? My best friend lives in Zagreb and also has a house on the Adriatic Sea closer to the Balkans.
tumamilhem
PS a good car wash and it'll run like new. biggrin.gif lol
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Jeffs9146
Seriously you guys, look at the left lower windshield vin plate. If it starts with "914" it is 6.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 19 2014, 01:09 PM) *

welcome.png
Easy way to get an idea if it's a six or a 4 is where is the key, on the dashboard or on the steering column?

Didn't the '72 six have the key on the column?
carr914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 19 2014, 06:40 PM) *

welcome.png

Yes it does!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 19 2014, 06:59 PM) *

welcome.png

Yes it does!

THAT I did not know! The 72 has it in the column like the -4 does? Interesting.
carr914
The 72 914-6 has a Lot of regular 914 Parts - Ignition on the Column, Movable Passenger Seat, Switches
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 19 2014, 03:31 PM) *
Seriously you guys, look at the left lower windshield vin plate. If it starts with "914" it is 6.

Except, European cars don't have a VIN tag on the windshield ...
rolleyes.gif
Mikey914
Even if it's not a 6, may still be a fun car. All just a matter of how much you can buy it for.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
abnrdo
Welcome!! My family is originally from Croatia! Awesome teener!

welcome.png
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Oct 19 2014, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 19 2014, 06:59 PM) *

welcome.png

Yes it does!

THAT I did not know! The 72 has it in the column like the -4 does? Interesting.

chair.gif Neither did I. Guess you could also look & see if it has the extra lever next to the gearshift & defroster lever.
bandjoey
Photo of the motor and transmission will help too. Hope u can get the car.
CptTripps
Regardless of what it is....great find.

You'd at least be starting with cool flares and a 5-lug conversion. The Fuchs aren't too shabby wither.
ClayPerrine
The 1972 914/6 used a 914-4 wiring harness and steering column. There was a short adapter cable that hooked to the 14 pin relay board connector on the wiring harness to adapt it to the /6 relay board. The engine, suspension and brakes were all six parts. It really looks like a conversion car at first glance. But they were using up the leftover six parts.

Still has a "914" VIN number though.

johnny02
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Oct 19 2014, 12:43 PM) *

Where in Croatia are you? My best friend lives in Zagreb and also has a house on the Adriatic Sea closer to the Balkans.

i am 90kilometers north of dubrovnik near ploce smile.gif
OllieG
Barn find!!! aktion035.gif

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out….popcorn[1].gif
sb914
welcome.png
El Vikingo Tropical
Welcome
Spain her!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.