Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Mount Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
Hi everyone. somewhat new to the forum. I recently purchased a 1973 2.0 and in the process of restoring it. I need to drop the engine and have some questions about the motor mount. I accidentally stripped the bolt (socket head cap screw style, allen) that holds the mount in place and now trying to figure out how to get the bolt out. I cut the head of the bolt off but it still will not drop. Does anyone know if the mount itself is threaded too? I figured if I cut the head off it would drop but since it is not I assume the mount is also threaded. I appreciate any assistance. Thanks. Mark
Mike Bellis
I can't help but...

welcome.png
Cap'n Krusty
The bolt is supposed to be installed with the nut on the top. It's possible you didn't cut it close enough to the mount and you still have a kind of flange preventing the bolt from pulling through. It's also possible that the bolt is rusted inside the bar. If you cut it off on the bottom, you could take a punch and beat it upwards through the bar(which is not threaded). The top end is a piece of channel material with a nut and washer, and is a bit fragile.

The Cap'n
Larmo63
Post a picture of your predicament.
mmascari
Thanks for the replys. Here is a picture of the cut boltClick to view attachment
bdstone914
A 73 with a side shift trans would normally a hex head bolt. Maybe someone used an Allen head from a tail shift. Either way it is a through bolt with a nut on top. If you unbolt the other side the bar should side off of the bolt. Once the engine is out you can more easily remove the mount and bolt. The bolts often get bent from the bar getting hit. If it stripped it maybe rusted stuck in the bar. See if you can drive it upwards with a short bolt and hammer.
mmascari
Thanks for the replys. Here is a picture of the cut bolt

Click to view attachment
mmascari
Thanks BDStone, so if I just remove the nut on the other side it should come loose?
bdstone914
Looks like some of the bolt head is still there. Support the engine a use an angle grinder or file to grind it flat. It is a 10mm bolt. What shows looks larger than 10mm

Here is a picture of the end of the bar. Note the hole size compare to the size the the cut off bolt in yours. I think you need to file or grind it more. Still may be stuck in there.
Valy
Looks to me like someone fitted an oversize bolt that got stuck in the bar.
Try to open the nut on the other side and then, after you drop the bar, you'll probably need a press to push it out of the bar.
mmascari
I think I have it figured out. I took the engine shroud off and can get to the nut from the top. Thanks for all the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.