Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plaid insert seat materials or kits available as a 4 pcs kit fully sewn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mikey914
I was asked some time ago to help out in getting these material made. I finally got off my butt and pulled the trigger on this. I have 7 for the 9 in stock and will have the other 2 late next week.

Materials will run per yard. Or I can have kits sewn up as shown. All 4 pcs $125, + the materials cost.

It is recommended you purchase 2 yards to get the sections to line up properly, does burn up material.

I will sell sample cards for $25 each that have 3" square samples. If you buy the $25 will be credited to your purchase.

I plan to have the GB open til Dec 10th, so if you are looking for a Christmas gift for your car this might be the thing.

I sent a kit out to Ken, he should have Friday.

Material is $127 per yard
If you have us do the 4 pcs kit it will take 2 yards for all 4.
Mikey914
40,42,44,45,47,48,80 in stock.
43, and 81 will be ready late next week.
Mikey914
sewn
rick 918-S
In for # 47 BTW: when I purchased the material for my Pasha seats I ordered 3 meters or nearly 4 yards due to pattern repeat. So if you can get by with 2 yards that's good.

Mike, I understand the $ 25.00 sample but how much a yard and when do we send money?
VoPo914
I am in for a Ski-Blue #48 Kit. Once again a great product from Mark!

Thanks,
Blaine
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 23 2014, 04:02 AM) *

The center kits at $125 for all 4 pcs+ material cost.

Hi Mark. #47 would look nice in my newly-painted Bahia Red '74...what's the total cost for sewn inserts? And do I understand correctly that this would include the black vinyl for the entire rest of the seats?

This, of course, would mean changing tactics on the brown carpet set I have on order with you...plus I'd have to replace the brown door cards and rear panel. Would you be able to sew up black door cards with the plaid inserts as well (not the whole door card, just some tasteful inserts with black vinyl).

GA, big fan of the plaid cloth interior on my '11 GTI...

IPB Image
mepstein
Mark - Looks great. Couple questions.

Is this wool
What weight
How much per yard
Will you have side bolster kits available
What comes sewn in the kit and what is left to do
Do you have a source for replacement foam
whats the turn around time from purchase

Thanks!

Sleepin
Thank you for doing this Mark! The tartans have been pretty much impossible to get for a reasonable price! The community owes you once again for making these available!

Of course, my new color won't go with the #45 originally on my car now. I may be in for a #48 kit though.
Mikey914

Mark - Looks great. Couple questions.

Is this wool
What weight
How much per yard
Will you have side bolster kits available
What comes sewn in the kit and what is left to do
Do you have a source for replacement foam
whats the turn around time from purchase

Thanks!
mark

Yes the details -

-This is wool

-22-25 oz per yard there is some variation between colors, black seems to be heaviest

-$118 per yard

-Bolster kits are in the works as the set I sent Ken he wants them too. I anticipate this weekend we can get to taking apart and patterning with a test set to ken early next week. production pending fitting 14-20 days out tentatively. Will be pretty much ready when the 4 pc kit is.

- the kits consist of the bases that you will have to remove the vinyl from your old bases, and staple back on. The centers are provided with a section at the base for the wire, and the headrest section sewn in there was a really great article a while back I' ll find an put on the thread.

- The replacement foam we could make, but unless there is a significant demand, it's probably not something we will set up to do.

- Turn around time
- materials only - in stock - a day or two depending on when the order is placed
- Kits - anticipate 15-20 day turn around from when the order is placed

Thanks,
mark
Mikey914
Excellent Classic thread on how to do this also has another classic embedded in the entire seat, but his is the How to.
The question is material only or $125 we can do this for you

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=187750&hl=
mepstein
I'm in for a set. I'm also in for the bolsters. The seats I have are good cores but smell bad so I won't reuse anything but the shell and hardware. I'll go to my local upholster for the foam. I will use the old seat bottoms for a template to make new. Thanks for taking this on.

Maybe trim out the center pad/third seat in matching material idea.gif

I'm glad I collected some old core seats
Mikey914
I had though about making hats with the little pieces that are left over. Not really big enough for much, but on the 2 yards when the pattens are aligned, we cut the sides of the base cushions, if you had then in vinyl, there would be a strip large enough to accommodate the center deposit box biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 23 2014, 12:00 AM) *

Hi Mikey,
I will want one of the red/burgundy. My wife and I can sew, so I just need the fabric.

Thanks,
Warren

Also I probably want either a blue or a black. Not sure yet.

mepstein
Mark - What do we do to order and pay. Is it on your website. thanks

*I also noticed that the sides of Johannes cushion is vinyl while yours is fabric. I guess that is why he did it in one yard while yours takes 2. Isn't oem vinyl sides.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 03:06 PM) *

*I also noticed that the sides of Johannes cushion is vinyl while yours is fabric. I guess that is why he did it in one yard while yours takes 2. Isn't oem vinyl sides.

Ditto all three Questions smile.gif :agree

And one more. How close is your vinyl to the original?
Valy
How about the brown vinyl?
Or can I send you the material I want and let you make the inserts?
bigkensteele
Mark, I will try to do one of the seats this weekend and post a picture. Folks will just need to disregard the fact that my bolsters are trashed.

Can't thank you enough for pulling this off! I have wanted to re-do these for 15 years now.

first.gif
2manytables
Looks great! I would like t be on the list for a set #42,
Let me know what to do.
Thanks,
Brad
7TPorsh
How about early passenger seat configuration....like for a 6? They look great
Mikey914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 23 2014, 09:31 PM) *

How about early passenger seat configuration....like for a 6? They look great

We will not be setting up to do the early, but can sell you material if you wish.
-mark
johannes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 12:06 PM) *

I watched some pictures from cars that are supposed to have original plaid seats and I saw vinyl on the side of the cushions. That's how I made my seats and this is how it is presented in the tutorial http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=187750
One yard for the two seats is doable but you have to be very carefull when cutting. I would suggest to sell the plaid by 1.1 yard kit.
dial9147320ltr
Mark - i'm intersted in a full set in #81 - do you have a larger picture that would show the pattern ? Also, from the post it appears your making the covers 'without' any foam sewn on the backing, is that correct ?
Let me know how to proceed with the order...

B.Marks
Cincinnati, OH
Mikey914
No we are using high density foam. Both upper and base
Mikey914
QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 24 2014, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 12:06 PM) *

I watched some pictures from cars that are supposed to have original plaid seats and I saw vinyl on the side of the cushions. That's how I made my seats and this is how it is presented in the tutorial http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=187750
One yard for the two seats is doable but you have to be very carefull when cutting. I would suggest to sell the plaid by 1.1 yard kit.

If you go the short way yes, but you can't get the patterns to align.
You have to go the long way, but it does leave enough to do the sides or dare I say a center deposit box.
We could also provide a deposit box with the top in the same material for $110 all new if you bough the kit and wanted black sides.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 24 2014, 11:06 PM) *

No we are using high density foam. Both upper and base

Mark,

How close is the vinyl your using in pattern and texture? Could I send you some vintage back pad vinyl to use for the head rest or is the vinyl you use a match?
GregAmy
I'd like to do this, but I'm not clear on exactly what is being offered. Clarify for me that you are offering the option for complete seat re-upholstery, including seat bottom seat cushions, seat back inserts, and sides, with black vinyl outside and plaid inserts (and foam backing but not seat foam inserts)? And I need to take this new upholstery and re-cover my existing brown seats (which I'm fully capable of doing) without any additional sewing (which I'm not capable of doing)?

What's the cost of the whole shebang, already sewn?

Can anyone link to what this looked like on a stock car?

Thanks!

Greg
rick 918-S
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 25 2014, 07:49 AM) *

I'd like to do this, but I'm not clear on exactly what is being offered. Clarify for me that you are offering the option for complete seat re-upholstery, including seat bottom seat cushions, seat back inserts, and sides, with black vinyl outside and plaid inserts (and foam backing but not seat foam inserts)? And I need to take this new upholstery and re-cover my existing brown seats (which I'm fully capable of doing) without any additional sewing (which I'm not capable of doing)?

What's the cost of the whole shebang, already sewn?

Can anyone link to what this looked like on a stock car?

Thanks!

Greg

Look at the first post. With the pre-sewn option you get the seat bottom cover in tartan pre-sewn. You install it over your foam seat base. You get the backrest center in tartan with the headrest cover in vinyl attached. The side bolsters are up to you. If you have a set of nice seat and want to convert to tartan this is an affordable way to go

Or purchase the tartan outright and do it yourself.

Here's a link from the quote two post above.http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=187750
Jett
Hello Mike, I'd like the #44 set.

How can I order a set with the appropriate bolsters, etc. I'd like to have a complete kit.

Please let me know how to order... I also have two other GB's to buy from you smile.gif

Cheers

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 23 2014, 01:00 AM) *

DRPHIL914
Mark, i am interested in the #81 black pre-sewn set cusions.
* also would need the bolsters
* and I believe my bottom cusion foams were really in bad condition so I am throwing my name there for foam if you get enough interest for it .

so let me know howmuch for pre-sewn kit + bolsters + foam.

phil

GregAmy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2014, 09:11 AM) *
...With the pre-sewn option you get...

Thank you, I understand now. Does anyone offer the side bolsters pre-sewn? I'd be converting mine from brown to black, so I'd need to replace that as well. - GA
stevegm
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 23 2014, 03:58 AM) *

I was asked some time ago to help out in getting these material made. I finally got off my butt and pulled the trigger on this. I have 7 for the 9 in stock and will have the other 2 late next week.

Materials will run per yard. Or I can have kits sewn up as shown. All 4 pcs $125, + the materials cost.

It is recommended you purchase 2 yards to get the sections to line up properly, does burn up material.

I will sell sample cards for $25 each that have 3" square samples. If you buy the $25 will be credited to your purchase.

I plan to have the GB open til Dec 10th, so if you are looking for a Christmas gift for your car this might be the thing.

I sent a kit out to Ken, he should have Friday.

Material is $118 per yard
If you have us do the 4 pcs kit it will take 2 yards for all 4.

So the GB is $361 for the 4pc kit

What years were plaid seats available? And colors by year? Is there a chart somewhere?

Thanks,
Steve
Mikey914
PM's sent to all.
Looking at trying to have seat base foam made up for these, but it's an unknown so far.
-Mark
Mikey914
Working on the foam for the seat bases today, going to see if I can get a replacement made.
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 25 2014, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 25 2014, 09:11 AM) *
...With the pre-sewn option you get...

Thank you, I understand now. Does anyone offer the side bolsters pre-sewn? I'd be converting mine from brown to black, so I'd need to replace that as well. - GA

We are offering as an option to add. They will more than likely be a stock item at some point.
-Mark
GregAmy
Thank you, Mark, appreciate the efforts (and patience).

On a bit of a non-sequitur, anyone offer some internal links on vinyl dyeing? If I got this route, I'll need to dye the current brown interior to a somewhat-matching black. Seat bolsters, door card, center cushion, and rear bakc pad are all in surprisingly good condition, just the incorrect color.
Chris H.
This is huge. Wow. Nice job Mark. Probably one of the most unobtainium interior items.
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 28 2014, 08:42 AM) *

On a bit of a non-sequitur, anyone offer some internal links on vinyl dyeing? If I got this route, I'll need to dye the current brown interior to a somewhat-matching black. Seat bolsters, door card, center cushion, and rear bakc pad are all in surprisingly good condition, just the incorrect color.

Why not just package them up and replace with all new material? It costs more, but you effectively have a 2nd interior that could be sold if you want. Brown is a harder color to come by so for a correct brown interior it may be worth just holding onto.

But there are commercial vinyl dyes SEM makes some that I'm aware of.
DRPHIL914
I signed up and paid for mine already- pre-sewn and side bolster vinyl option and cushion foam too.
Should be interesting. My original seats need this so bad!. I will pull out my 993 seats when I get this done!

Thanks Mark for getting this done!.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 28 2014, 12:04 PM) *
Why not just package them up and replace with all new material? It costs more, but you effectively have a 2nd interior that could be sold if you want. Brown is a harder color to come by so for a correct brown interior it may be worth just holding onto.

I've given it thought, but it does come out quite a bit more pricey. This one is in very good shape (no tears, no wear areas, etc). I think I'd be hard-pressed to find other parts that are in as good shape.

If someone local had a very-good condition black interior and was interested in a swap, I'd consider it. But I think the odds of that are damn near zero. But if you know of anyone interested, I'd consider it. - GA
Mikey914
Dude,
I can sell you a brand new one, door panels (fiberglass), and back pad (fiberglass) we are also templating the back pad vinyl so if you have the foam for it you are good happy11.gif .

The budget way to go is to carefully remove the old vinyl and replace with new. Roll the old stuff up on a tube and store it. biggrin.gif

I will be able to sell the new back pad vinyl kit for $125 all 3 pcs.
tweet
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 04:06 PM) *

Original black/grey tartan seats. The sides of the seat cushion are vinyl.
tweet
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 28 2014, 11:42 AM) *

VHT makes black vinyl dye in a spray can. The most important thing when dying, is your prep work. You cannot have ANY residue on the vinyl. You should also use an adhesion promoter. They also make this product
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 01:06 PM) *

The pattern actually runs the short side of the roll, you have to shift it at least 3" to have the pattern centered on the seats. You can pick it up on the next section above, but it leaves a strip on the side wide enough that we could do the sides.

It would be large enough to to a center cushion, and we could do up a pre sewn piece or heck even make a matching driving hat I'm checking with my guy, but it looks like $25 he could sew them up.

DRPHIL914
i'll take a hat shades.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 01:43 PM) *

I love it!

Another question, Mark: If someone were to get the bolsters as part of the plaid inserts, would you be able to use different colored thread for the stitching? What I have in mind is the burgundy insert, black vinyl, with burgundy stitching on the "cowboy stitching" (whatever that double-stitching is in between the upper and lower bolsters...might be nice to do this stitch all the way around...see my GTI interior pics earlier in the thread..."thread", I kill myself...)

Obviously this is not a concourse restoration project.

GA
rick 918-S
Just placed my order. Sandy is going to kill me. slap.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 25 2014, 06:52 PM) *

Mark, i am interested in the #81 black pre-sewn set cusions.
* also would need the bolsters
* and I believe my bottom cusion foams were really in bad condition so I am throwing my name there for foam if you get enough interest for it .

so let me know howmuch for pre-sewn kit + bolsters + foam.

phil

I was able to find a local foam supply store to cut these up. $28 each in a high density foam. Yes I can find cheaper foam, but for comparable firmness, it runs a little more. Pics in the morning.
-mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Yes, but I think it may need black vinyl on the sides????? biggrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 29 2014, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 01:43 PM) *

I love it!

Another question, Mark: If someone were to get the bolsters as part of the plaid inserts, would you be able to use different colored thread for the stitching? What I have in mind is the burgundy insert, black vinyl, with burgundy stitching on the "cowboy stitching" (whatever that double-stitching is in between the upper and lower bolsters...might be nice to do this stitch all the way around...see my GTI interior pics earlier in the thread..."thread", I kill myself...)

Obviously this is not a concourse restoration project.

GA

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm also sure it's more work. I'll check with the guy I can doing these to see how much.

-Mark
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 30 2014, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 29 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Yes, but I think it may need black vinyl on the sides????? biggrin.gif

Probably not necessary but would be fine either way. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.