Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my 912e just passed ca smog
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
hooray,im relieved.im very happy i got the car.
Krieger
Nice work!
Cuda911
Congrats!

I love 912s, and plan to get one.

I despise CARB and its frickin' moronic dictates.
Mikey914
His is an E
It's injected.

Congrats,

you don't need no stinking reactors!

How about some pics

EdwardBlume
Lucky you. When I still had to smog the '74, I took it to a shop who flat out told me they couldn't smog it because they didn't know what they were looking at...
rosenfe
i am fortunate to have several good porsche shops with experience getting 912e through smog.

i now understand how special 911s are.the 912e is a 76 911 with a 914 motor.there is definitely something special as to how it handles and feels.i still love my 914 as well.

my gas pedal gets sticky on the 912e and i wonder if the the throttle body valve can be a source of resistance if dirty.?anybody have experience with this?.ive added some wd40 to throttle cable and it did help.
dangrouche
I have a 74 2.0 914 with factory injection. one of the things to look at is the pivot shaft of the throttle body. disconnect the cable at the throttle body and see if throttle plate pivots smoothly. while the cable is disconnected from the throttle body see if the cable moves to and fro by having a helper press on the accelerator cable. if you are alone, you could also disconnect the cable at the pedal end and while standing over the motor, see if the cable moves smoothly to and fro. Hopefully you will only need a cable.
Cap'n Krusty
How'd you get it passed without the air pump? The T/Rs I can understand, cause you can't readily see 'em.

The Cap'n
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 24 2014, 05:23 PM) *

How'd you get it passed without the air pump? The T/Rs I can understand, cause you can't readily see 'em.

The Cap'n

I sold him an air pump and pulley beerchug.gif

Bruce
rosenfe
yes,bruce came to the rescue with the right parts.
Cap'n Krusty
Ahhhh ... In my starving-just-before-dinner fog, I thought those pictures were of the car in question. I see they're not. Pardon the flaw in my perfection ...

The Cap'n
rosenfe
i found a loose vacuum. line,thats why idle was so erratic.cleaned out the throttle body and butterfly valve .there was a ridge binding up butterfly,now it runs perfectly.getting more familiar with engine.great car
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 25 2014, 09:38 AM) *

Pardon the flaw in my perfection ...
The Cap'n

av-943.gif
RenoRoger
[quote name='Mikey914' date='Oct 24 2014, 12:36 AM' post='2101863']
His is an E
It's injected.

Hi Mickey914;

I also own a 912E, bone stock. What's that little round can next to your blue coil. Except for that my engine compartment looks exactly like yours.

RenoRoger
Mikey914
Some type of a diaphragm on the vacuum circuit. Didn't know it wasn't stock. Maybe an PO modification to pass without the pump, as it does.
Krieger
It looks like an oil temp/pressure sender. The hose loops up and then down to the stock sender location.
Cap'n Krusty
[quote name='RenoRoger' date='Oct 25 2014, 04:42 PM' post='2102567']
[quote name='Mikey914' date='Oct 24 2014, 12:36 AM' post='2101863']
His is an E
It's injected.

Hi Mickey914;

I also own a 912E, bone stock. What's that little round can next to your blue coil. Except for that my engine compartment looks exactly like yours.

RenoRoger
[/quote]

The "little round can" next to the ignition coil is an oil pressure sending unit with terminals for both the light and a gauge. Note the high pressure hose that goes to the original port for the OP switch.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.