Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Hi all, I’m still a newbie here on world, I’ve made a few posts but have not yet formally introduced myself. My name is Kent and I have been restoring cars for over 20 years now. I did the reconstruction, body and paint on Andy’s (socalandy) 914-6. I immediately became hooked on 914,s and bought and built a 914 V8 conversion. I am starting a new restoration on another 914-6 so I will be posting pics of the progress as I go. The owner of this cars name is Jim and he has done a nice job of rounding up and restoring many of the parts thus far so this will no doubt be a nice car in the end. Andy (socalandy) posted a thread on this car a few months back and now it is in my shop and I’m ready to begin.
More pics
sbsix
Kent, I can't wait to follow your progress on this six. Going through Andy's build was a real treat. Good luck and please take plenty of pictures.
QUOTE(sbsix @ Oct 24 2014, 11:32 AM) *

Kent, I can't wait to follow your progress on this six. Going through Andy's build was a real treat. Good luck and please take plenty of pictures.

Thanks, will do.
More pics.
The Donor Car. R.I.P. I will be using the fenders and Quarter Panels from this car as well as some other areas/sections.
PanelBilly
If it wasn't for the vin # on the /6, I'd say rebuild the doner with the parts off the red car (or is that rust colored). Nice project for a commercial builder!
rick 918-S
Nice build on Andy's car. I saw it both before (in Joe's yard) and after the work (RRC14). No doubt the next car will be equally as nice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914350 @ Oct 24 2014, 11:25 AM) *
... I immediately became hooked on 914,s ...

Funny how that works biggrin.gif
sb914
QUOTE(914350 @ Oct 24 2014, 11:25 AM) *

Hi all, I’m still a newbie here on world, I’ve made a few posts but have not yet formally introduced myself. My name is Kent and I have been restoring cars for over 20 years now. I did the reconstruction, body and paint on Andy’s (socalandy) 914-6 that is currently the Car of the Month on 914world. I immediately became hooked on 914,s and bought and built a 914 V8 conversion. I am starting a new restoration on another 914-6 so I will be posting pics of the progress as I go. The owner of this cars name is Jim and he has done a nice job of rounding up and restoring many of the parts thus far so this will no doubt be a nice car in the end. Andy (socalandy) posted a thread on this car a few months back and now it is in my shop and I’m ready to begin.

Incredible job on Andy's car pray.gif I just sent my v8 conversion off to paint . I wish I known of you before headbang.gif nice job, can't wait to see how this one turns out.
SixerJ
Subscribed!
Socalandy
I already got my hands dirty on this one and Kent will hammer it into another GEM first.gif pray.gif
Cairo94507
Excellent! welcome.png We can always use another skilled expert who loves these cars and knows how to really fix them. I loved Andy's build and really look forward to following this one along. Like already mentioned, please keep us hooked with tons of progress pictures. Thanks in advance and my hat is tipped to you for the outstanding work on Andy's beautiful car.
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 24 2014, 02:36 PM) *

Excellent! welcome.png We can always use another skilled expert who loves these cars and knows how to really fix them. I loved Andy's build and really look forward to following this one along. Like already mentioned, please keep us hooked with tons of progress pictures. Thanks in advance and my hat is tipped to you for the outstanding work on Andy's beautiful car.

Well thank you very much.
Spent today trimming the panels off of the car and getting it ready for media blasting.
The inner Roll Bar structure is in great condition. Not rotted out on the lower area like they can be.
More pics.
Socalandy
Nice thrash session aktion035.gif
trojanhorsepower
What did you use to remove the panels? What ever it was it seemed to go well.
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 26 2014, 05:09 AM) *

What did you use to remove the panels? What ever it was it seemed to go well.

There's many different tools that are used, I use a sawzall/Reciprocating saw (large and small) and a cut off wheel to cut the panel back to the edges then a spot weld drill bit to help with separating the spot welds and even a air chisel at some points but being carful not to damage the lip/edge that the new panel will attach to. there's lots of different ways to go about it, sometimes the welds just snap loose as you twist the metal away.
The car is headed to Media blasting this Friday, support bars installed so the body doesn't flex.
More pics of the car.
More pics.
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Oct 24 2014, 02:28 PM) *

Subscribed!
"ditto" piratenanner.gif
CptTripps
Here we go!

I'm looking forward to watching this one.
sbsix
I just realized one of my favorite activities is watching 914 restorations on the World. Thanks to rust.
Headed to media blasting. Used Cap lugs to keep media out of the tubes.
More pics.
...at BD&G Blasting Co.
Picked up metal to build Frame Fixture.
Andy came out and helped. We used his FJ to tow the car to blasting and to pick up the metal on the way back. Thanks Andy!
El Vikingo Tropical
I will follow this this tread popcorn[1].gif
Realy nice!
Socalandy
Time to start taking the fenders off this one.
Socalandy
This will be fun getting this harness sorted out but since the cars not even close to paint I have some time to work on it blink.gif
Looking pretty good popcorn[1].gif .
CptTripps
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 24 2014, 11:41 PM) *

This will be fun getting this harness sorted out but since the cars not even close to paint I have some time to work on it blink.gif

It happens WAY faster than you think. From my experience, no matter how close you have it, you're not done when you go to put it in the car.

Great thread. I'm watching intently.
The Donor car measured out great so I will use it to build a fixture for the 6.
Got the car back from media blasting.
More pics.
More pics.
johnhora
watching....this is great!
doug_b_928
QUOTE(914350 @ Nov 25 2014, 10:35 AM) *

Great thread! Is your 6's chassis bent? Based on what you've said above, I'm wondering if you're going to make fixtures for your bench based on the donor and then will be straightening the 6 chassis to fit those jigs..... If so, I'll be very interested in how you do this.
Progress on the fixture.
More pics.
More pics.
This fixture will be removable from the table so that it can be used on the front of the car once the car is on the rotisserie. Since I will be replacing the front tub, it will help get the torsion perches back in place.
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 25 2014, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ Nov 25 2014, 10:35 AM) *

Great thread! Is your 6's chassis bent? Based on what you've said above, I'm wondering if you're going to make fixtures for your bench based on the donor and then will be straightening the 6 chassis to fit those jigs..... If so, I'll be very interested in how you do this.

Yes, the car was hit pretty hard in the past and not properly fixed. I will use the fixture to true the 6. I'll be removing a large portion of the fornt of the car and the long on the drivers side due to the long being bent.
Rear mounting points.
More pics.
I intalled an alignment dowl to relocate the front of the fixture when removed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.