Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Rocker Arm Spring Washer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Even though I'm sure my neighbors LIKE the smoke my '72 teener makes when the oil leaks from the pushrod onto the heat exchanger, today I got around to replacing the offending push rod tube seals (cylinder 3). As I put the rocker assembly back on, getting the push rods to seat properly in the rocker arm cups was, as documented in other threads, a bit of challenge for the newbie. When I first started tightening the rocker assembly nuts back on I realized the rods weren't seated properly and started backing them off. But the rocker assembly was under some tension -- the nut came off and the spring washer launched itself somewhere. I don't know where that little bugger went and hid. Not on the heat exchanger, not in my hair, not on my overalls, not on the floor best I can tell. confused24.gif

It's called a spring washer or spring plate, I believe. To me it looks like a plain old washer. It didn't appear to be a lock washer or even have a spring contour to provide tension. These look like what I'm looking for: Type IV Rocker Shaft Nut Kit

My questions: can I run with a plain old washer for a short period of time or something I should be able to get at the hardware store? If not, where's the best place to source? I think my 'teener is getting a little too comfortable on jackstands... dry.gif

altitude411
not a high tec washer, pretty common.... spring washers are just "bent" you just need to know the size? http://www.essentracomponents.com/fastener...tent=6271717763
Cap'n Krusty
They're 7mm spring washers, and you may find it difficult to source. DO NOT use an 8mm washer, as it won't apply locking force in an appropriate manner.

The Cap'n
BeatNavy
Roger that. Thanks for the help. Sounds like I better find the real deal soon. I'll also crawl around the garage a little more on my hands and knees (although I swear that thing looked like a plain washer -- maybe over the years it lost its "spring").
altitude411
...now can you please retrieve my 12mm socket that fell into my HE? headbang.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 25 2014, 10:48 PM) *

...now can you please retrieve my 12mm socket that fell into my HE? headbang.gif

Well, our cars our so quiet, like a Nissan Leaf, that it's good to have it rattle once in a while, right? smile.gif
altitude411
found a source for 7mm spring washers...http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VHD%2DN12%2D2343

...did you find my socket?
BeatNavy
Yup, that must be it. Thanks. I wonder if I can run for a few days on a regular washer or lock washer as long as I don't go over 10 ftlbs on torque.

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 25 2014, 11:32 PM) *

...did you find my socket?

Yes, it actually fell on the floor and rolled behind the box of 914 parts against the wall. No, the other box of parts. Or maybe the third or fourth box of 914 parts... smile.gif
type47
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 25 2014, 05:30 PM) *

... But the rocker assembly was under some tension --...

Makes me wonder if you brought #3 cylinder up to TDC. I get alot of hardware from Lowes and Home Depot and probably got these at one of those. You're welcome to any you need here in Vienna idea.gif
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 26 2014, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 25 2014, 05:30 PM) *

... But the rocker assembly was under some tension --...

Makes me wonder if you brought #3 cylinder up to TDC. I get alot of hardware from Lowes and Home Depot and probably got these at one of those. You're welcome to any you need here in Vienna idea.gif

That's awesome, Jim. I may have to make a road trip! And, no, I did not bring #3 up to TDC even though I knew I probably should have headbang.gif
r_towle
Worried it may have fallen into the head, then down one of the tubes??

Might want to take a look inside with a magnet to be sure.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 26 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Worried it may have fallen into the head, then down one of the tubes??

Might want to take a look inside with a magnet to be sure.

Yes, that was/is my biggest worry, too. I JUST found the little sucker. I ran a magnet along the upper crevice in the heat exchanger. Tried it a couple of times yesterday and didn't pick it up, but I got lucky this morning. Think I'm good now. Thanks again for the offer, Jim!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.