Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cars with non original engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914six
If I am looking to add another 4 cylinder 914 to my garage, some of the best examples do not have numbers matching engines. At some point the PO of these cars has wanted more power and upgraded to a more advanced engine.

My question is what happens to the price when the engine number is not original to the car? Is there a rule of thumb?

(I know it's market driven and anyone can offer any crazy amounts wacko.gif for a car they just have to have)

I'm just looking for the norm if there is one. Is it something like current market value less 25% for non originality factors?

Any thoughts? confused24.gif
914Sixer
Does not matter if you are keeping not keeping it stock. Otherwise most buyers would see it as a plus IF it is an upgrade engine (1.7 to 2.0 or larger). I am thinking price would go up in value not down.
messix
if it's a really nice survivor car most likely.

if it's a prefect restored concurs car absolutely.
EdwardBlume
Porsche doesn't include engine numbers on some COAs anymore so it's hard to even know.
Mark Henry
It would matter on a perfect 2.0, LE or a six.
Base 1.7, 1.8 or any modified car much less so.

My car is in real nice shape, but it was just a 1974 1.8 base model, so it's getting a 3.0 six treatment.
stevegm
As the value of 914s go up in general, it is likely that originality will become more and more important. Ultimately, it should be the 100% original cars that have the highest values. But, this will apply primarily to cars that are pristine. Having said all that, to date, engine upgrades (to larger engines) seem to have increased the value of the car. 2.0L engines have been sought after for some time, and are a good selling point.
r_towle
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 28 2014, 10:13 PM) *

As the value of 914s go up in general, it is likely that originality will become more and more important. Ultimately, it should be the 100% original cars that have the highest values. Having said that this will apply primarily to cars that are pristine. Having said all that, to date, engine upgrades (to larger engines) seem to have increased value of the car. 2.0L engines have been sought after for some time, and are a good selling point.

agree.gif

And OMG, when did we start sounding like the 356 guys????
dw914six
Alright...some good input. Much appreciated.

Seems I'm hearing on most 914s everyone is saying performance over engine originality. Maybe the "drivers" are just that ....and a better engine makes it a better and more valuable driver. MDB2.gif

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 28 2014, 06:13 PM) *

As the value of 914s go up in general, it is likely that originality will become more and more important. Ultimately, it should be the 100% original cars that have the highest values. Having said that this will apply primarily to cars that are pristine. Having said all that, to date, engine upgrades (to larger engines) seem to have increased value of the car. 2.0L engines have been sought after for some time, and are a good selling point.

Chris914n6
Matching numbers is only valuable to collectors. The 914 isn't really a collectors car yet with exceptions to /6 and LE. Right now it's valued as a driver, thus the 2.0, 6's and well done swaps are valued greater.

If you want to increase value with matching numbers then you're on the path that no aftermarket parts/rubbers/interior materials can be used on the restoration. This is an expensive path.
stevegm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 28 2014, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 28 2014, 10:13 PM) *

agree.gif

And OMG, when did we start sounding like the 356 guys????

When the prices started going up and they (914s) started getting some respect. :-)
EdwardBlume
I disagree. 2.0 fours have always been sought after as the best four you can get and some are selling for 15,000 +. I thank Europe mostly. I see Dads car (74 2.056) as a collector car.
stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 28 2014, 11:13 PM) *

I disagree. 2.0 fours have always been sought after as the best four you can get and some are selling for 15,000 +. I thank Europe mostly. I see Dads car (74 2.056) as a collector car.

I think this is a fair statement. For a long time now, it has seemed that everyone has thrown out the 1.7 engines (sometimes literally), and put a 2.0 in. As the cars become more collectable, however, original engine should become a more important feature.
IronHillRestorations
To the best of my knowledge the exact engine serial number was not recorded on 4 cylinder cars. I'd be surprised if that ever becomes an issue as long as it's a correct 2.0 in a 2.0 car etc.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 29 2014, 10:03 AM) *

To the best of my knowledge the exact engine serial number was not recorded on 4 cylinder cars. I'd be surprised if that ever becomes an issue as long as it's a correct 2.0 in a 2.0 car etc.

I disagree. Engine numbers were recorded, regardless if it was a 4 or a 6, while tranny numbers were not.
rick 918-S
IMO rust is the issue. As long as you stay air cooled, any documented solid chassis car with an upgraded 2.0, nice interior, nice paint and no issues with the brakes or handling will command as much as a rust repaired numbers matching car in the same condition.

These cars are still driven hard everyday. Parts are still fairly abundant and parts cars are still around for what you can't generally find in the new market. With all that making this a common car on the desirability scale the prices are still climbing.

BTW: how many other 40+ year old cars from other manufactures are being driven regularly across country and thrashed all weekend and getting their owners home with very little drama? idea.gif shades.gif
boxstr
The collector cars like the corvettes, cobras, ferraris, there is value to having the original motor. Many of the owners of these cars that have had the need to swap out the motor or trans, have the original sitting nearby to sell with the car when needed.
I don't see this translating to the 914 in the near future, although it might not hurt to hang on to those engines and transmissions out of your 914.
Craig at CAMP
EdwardBlume
Steel body sports cars become rarer and rarer each year. I'm willing to make a bold statement and say that 914s will follow 356s and early 911s into the museums and private car collections.
mepstein
Honestly, I don't get the whole facination with the matching numbers, date codes, ect.
I know everyone wants to assign a value to everything but other than identifying a part it's just a number. Im sure I'll go to auto hell for saying this but it seems sort of boring.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 29 2014, 03:37 PM) *

Honestly, I don't get the whole facination with the matching numbers, date codes, ect.
I know everyone wants to assign a value to everything but other than identifying a part it's just a number. Im sure I'll go to auto hell for saying this but it seems sort of boring.

agree.gif
I plan to build my car the way I want, with the engine I want, drive the living shit out of it and when I die I don't give a flying fuch what it's worth.

No trailer queens in my garage.
914Sixer
agree.gif That is my plan for the 75 I have right now. With all options available now the sky is the limit. biggrin.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 29 2014, 01:11 PM) *

agree.gif
I plan to build my car the way I want, with the engine I want, drive the living shit out of it and when I die I don't give a flying fuch what it's worth.

Absolutely. Can't understand why anyone would suffer a wheezing 1.7 for the whole time he owns the car so he can achieve optimum resale value. If that's you then here's another downer, if you really want the maximum resale value then stop driving it now. More miles mean less value, so NO MORE MILES. But why own a sports car and not drive it? To hell with that, own it for the optimum driving experience, not for optimum resale value. If you're looking for an investment vehicle then stocks, fine art, real estate, a massage parlor franchise, lots of options better than a 914.

To each his own, of course, but for god's sake drive the thing, put miles on it, have fun, that's what it's for. And to rub a little salt in the wound, if you insist on that tired old 1.7 for the resale value then know this: MY CAR IS FASTER THAN YOURS. In fact everyone else's car is faster than yours and we're all having more fun, too. A LOT more fun.
r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2014, 06:17 PM) *

agree.gif

Absolutely. Can't understand why anyone would suffer a wheezing 1.7 for the whole time he owns the car so he can achieve optimum resale value. If that's you then here's another downer, if you really want the maximum resale value then stop driving it now. More miles mean less value, so NO MORE MILES. But why own a sports car and not drive it? To hell with that, own it for the optimum driving experience, not for optimum resale value. If you're looking for an investment vehicle then stocks, fine art, real estate, a massage parlor franchise, lots of options better than a 914.

To each his own, of course, but for god's sake drive the thing, put miles on it, have fun, that's what it's for. And to rub a little salt in the wound, if you insist on that tired old 1.7 for the resale value then know this: MY CAR IS FASTER THAN YOURS. In fact everyone else's car is faster than yours and we're all having more fun, too. A LOT more fun.

And I totally plan on becoming good friends when I try and figure out how to get a subaru motor into a 356.....stealth
dw914six
Actually very funny...... lol-2.gif and also very true.

I have never owned a garage queen and I've owned many aports cars (over 150 in my 30 years of buying and driving). I have just landed where I started my car passion; the Porsche 914. (Probably just a phase I will out grow)

I just wanted to be educated on what a price should be for a nice 914 with an upgraded....non original engine, so I pay a reasonable price. (Didn't want to hear "you paid THAT for a non original example") Heck, all of my 914s gave upgraded performance.

More performance = more fun.

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2014, 02:17 PM) *

agree.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2014, 06:17 PM) *

agree.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark. I have the original 1.7 in my car. But I'm also building a 3.2 conversion and just got another 914 for an svx swap. I enjoy all the different configurations of these cars. I'm just not into obsessing about a part number, date code or serial number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.