Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide body for looks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr2by4
So how many people are running enough tire in a street car to need the widebody? Is it just a looks thing? What is the width limit on a narrow body car if that is what is driving people to go there. I think that both body styles are sexy, and hope to have one of each soon, but was curious if I should hold off on putting a six (early <200hp flat six) in the narrow car.
McMark
Anything over 150hp starts to justify wide body and bigger wheels. Mostly it's done for the looks though.
mr2by4
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 28 2014, 09:04 AM) *

Anything over 150hp starts to justify wide body and bigger wheels. Mostly it's done for the looks though.

I get that you would want more tire than stock, but what will fit under a narrow body? Does the wide body make any sense without a 5 lug conversion?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Oct 28 2014, 10:06 AM) *
Does the wide body make any sense without a 5 lug conversion?

Depends on the wheels and tires, but yes, i think so.

Below is a picture of my car right after i bought it some 15 years ago, with 4-lug wheels filling out the flares nicely.
Of course, the car has changed just a bit since ...
smile.gif
McMark
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Oct 28 2014, 10:06 AM) *

what will fit under a narrow body?

Steve
Once your over the 150 hp mark, you will start experiencing throttle induced over steer. Rear flairs and 225 + tires solves that problem. i have seen people modify the rear to clear 225 tires and still have the narrow body look.
carr914
Had about as much fun as I could on 205's and 150hp!

Quite Frankly I should have stayed there. More HP sometimes is more frustration and certainly more $$$$

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
It's a matter of perspective. I've got 225 on Boxster 7s under pulled fenders and 190hp. The Box was 217hp.
The 350z has 235 tires with 270hp. The BoxS 255 tires and 250hp.
I'm moving up to 260hp and haven't decided if I want to flare or not because 911 size wheels are pricey. But it would be 245-255 tires in back.
jeff
I want flares so bad I can taste it... I just feel like it's bigger with them like holding a AR15 with a big clip....more aggressive and softer at the same time, like a beautiful girl with curves... Holidays are here though, time to spend money on everyonei else..:-)
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jeff @ Oct 28 2014, 08:44 PM) *

I want flares so bad I can taste it... I just feel like it's bigger with them like holding a AR15 with a big clip....more aggressive and softer at the same time, like a beautiful girl with curves... Holidays are here though, time to spend money on everyonei else..:-)

Here is another one with 4 lug and flares (now has 5 lugs so these tires/wheels are for sale). This had 215/60/15 up front and 245/60/15 on the rear:

Click to view attachment
mr2by4
An important element in getting away with narrower tires is the 1000lb advantage that we have over many boxters and more than that over 350z etc.
Kansas 914 (Durango 914?) that car looks great. If it is as much fun to drive as it looks you must never get bored!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Oct 29 2014, 09:29 AM) *

Kansas 914 (Durango 914?) that car looks great. If it is as much fun to drive as it looks you must never get bored!

I get called Durango 914 at the get togethers - it is more accurate now.

Yep - this is a great place to own a 914. The Million Dollar Highway is in my backyard (literally - I can see it from my deck).

Here is a picture from the other day when I drive up to 10,640 feet (5 lugged now).

Sorry for the hijack.

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
I was in Durango a few years ago to visit a client.

The guy that took my rental car at the airport was the same guy that checked my ticket...and cooked my cheeseburger. Reminded me of the show "Wings"
MoveQik
This was my solution. Pulled rear fenders with 225's on 16x8's. 245's will squeeze in there but these are fine. 16x7's up front. Narrow body looks with flared-sized tires. biggrin.gif

Just so happens to be parked next to Kansas914 aktion035.gif

Kansas 914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 29 2014, 02:26 PM) *

I was in Durango a few years ago to visit a client.

The guy that took my rental car at the airport was the same guy that checked my ticket...and cooked my cheeseburger. Reminded me of the show "Wings"

Doug,

Things haven't changed. They close the ticket counter 30 minutes before a flight because the counter folks are also the ground crew and baggage handlers.

Very much like Wings. The advantage is you get to know everyone that works there (right down to the lady that makes fresh M&M cookies every morning) if you fly even a little bit.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 29 2014, 02:47 PM) *

This was my solution. Pulled rear fenders with 225's on 16x8's. 245's will squeeze in there but these are fine. 16x7's up front. Narrow body looks with flared-sized tires. biggrin.gif

I should stitch these together and make a panorama!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
poorsche914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 29 2014, 04:53 PM) *

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
mr2by4
Lots of nice aircooled cars up in Colorado!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 29 2014, 12:47 PM) *

Is it a fair assumption that these are 951 Fuchs?

When you pulled the fenders, was any material added or were they just yanked out? I am asking because this is my plan as well.
Elliot Cannon
Pretty much a "just for looks" thing for me. 147 Horse power doesn't exactly justify 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear with fiberglass GT flairs. It is better looking than those other wankers though innit? lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 29 2014, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 29 2014, 12:47 PM) *

Is it a fair assumption that these are 951 Fuchs?

When you pulled the fenders, was any material added or were they just yanked out? I am asking because this is my plan as well.

Yes on both questions. 951's. The fenders were cut and metal added. They stretched them as far as they would go but the 8's wouldn't quite fit without cutting.
Root_Werks
Black 914-6 is 1" wider flares, blue 914-6 is standard width flares. I want to say the 1" wider flared 914-6 was running something like 275's in the rear? Looks great, but you sort of have to have the bite to match the bark:
Kansas 914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 29 2014, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 29 2014, 04:53 PM) *

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

Nicely done - thanks!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 29 2014, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jeff @ Oct 28 2014, 08:44 PM) *

Here is another one with 4 lug and flares (now has 5 lugs so these tires/wheels are for sale). This had 215/60/15 up front and 245/60/15 on the rear:

Click to view attachment

How were the Radial T/As?!?

15-inch tires are getting so hard to find, and thinking about trying to squeeze 215/60R15s under stock, or nearly stock fenders.

Any direct feedback on the grip and handling with those tires on a 914 would be welcome! Most of the reviews on Tire Rack and elsewhere are from Trans-Am and pickup owners....

Thanks!! beerchug.gif

pete
Kansas 914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 10 2014, 03:04 PM) *

How were the Radial T/As?!?

15-inch tires are getting so hard to find, and thinking about trying to squeeze 215/60R15s under stock, or nearly stock fenders.

Any direct feedback on the grip and handling with those tires on a 914 would be welcome! Most of the reviews on Tire Rack and elsewhere are from Trans-Am and pickup owners....

Thanks!! beerchug.gif

pete

Hi Pete,

I am a terrible judge for that tire having nothing to compare it to. Never tracked the car - so it never got "tested".

Wished I could have been more help.

PS: If you were close you could do a test fit/drive (I have 2 215/60/15s) as these are just sitting in the garage now.
Rand
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 30 2014, 07:20 AM) *

Black 914-6 is 1" wider flares, blue 914-6 is standard width flares. I want to say the 1" wider flared 914-6 was running something like 275's in the rear? Looks great, but you sort of have to have the bite to match the bark:

Do I see steel top on the right? This is a tasty thread.

My favorite is the stock fenders bulged to fit the meat it needs. And that can bulge as far as you need. Look at Foley's stuff if you need big meat. Oh my, that came across wrong. Take it as written.

1stworks
Just a thought, that's a lot tire and rim to spin up.....preferably X2

My favorite wide 4 bolt car.

IPB Image
Andyrew
A lot of the v8 cars and conversion cars run flares.. Myself included.
boxstr
These are widened steel flares. The power comes from a 3.2 Carrera motor.
Craig at CAMP
griffindoug
QUOTE(1stworks @ Nov 10 2014, 07:25 PM) *

Just a thought, that's a lot tire and rim to spin up.....preferably X2

My favorite wide 4 bolt car.

IPB Image

Do you know if I would have to add spacers to the setup I have now if I add flares? I am currently running 195/60/15.

I am having my engine rebuilt by Fat performance and transaxle by Dr. Evil. I want the look of the flares but dont have the wallet for the new rims, tires.

any advice would be appreciated
MoveQik
QUOTE(griffindoug @ Nov 24 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Do you know if I would have to add spacers to the setup I have now if I add flares? I am currently running 195/60/15.

any advice would be appreciated

Well, if you are running those tires on a stock 914 rim(take your pick)...considering they fit under stock fenders, they will look pretty undersized under flares. Just my .02.
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 29 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Pretty much a "just for looks" thing for me. 147 Horse power doesn't exactly justify 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear with fiberglass GT flairs. It is better looking than those other wankers though innit? lol-2.gif

poke.gif When are you going to drop a 6 in there to justify those big tires? lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.