Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VRROOMM1
my wife and dad got me a early build 71 signale orange no rust texas car I don't want a orange car. I want to paint it Adriatic blue will it hurt the value of the car?
Johny Blackstain
If it's a numbers matching car I'd have to say yes. If it doesn't have the original engine in it then have at it. Either way, a proper color change on the car will be expensive because not only will you change the exterior, but unless you change the colors of the door jambs, engine compartment & trunks you'll be sporting an odd combo of Gulf/Weyer colors w/ a blue exterior & orange interior.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Oct 28 2014, 12:14 PM) *

my wife and dad got me a early build 71 signale orange no rust texas car I don't want a orange car. I want to paint it Adriatic blue will it hurt the value of the car?

Do NOT do it! Way too much work to make it match in all areas. Be happy with your gift. Jeez!
davep
I'd say that it would definitely affect the value. Signal orange was one of the most desired colors available. To do a proper color change would mean removing EVERYTHING, and that would be EXPENSIVE. Any compromise would look bad.
IronHillRestorations
I'd say live with it, I'd guess that a bad color change job might diminish a really good car by 20%, but that's just a guess. I don't know how much a real quality color change would hurt a '71 1.7, unless it's a perfect car.

If you just hate orange, then you want to take the car apart, down to the point where a color change would be totally undetectable.

MikeInMunich
You could consider wrapping it, or this new stuff that you can spray on and eventually peel off.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Nov 22 2014, 01:41 PM) *

You could consider wrapping it, or this new stuff that you can spray on and eventually peel off.

Are you kidding? These are classic cars! It's a joke, right?
914runnow
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Oct 28 2014, 10:14 AM) *

LOVE Adriatic blue!!
25 to 30 hours to pull down car for paint..
(have a helper)!
900 to $1000.00 for paint removal of all areas
(main harness left in and covered..)
necessary...Soda blast..
unknowns for hidden body work...$$$ ??
repaint all parts req'd to be proper new color and needed
prep...7 to 8 thousand....doors and trunks off..
50 hours plus to reassemble..
and not scratch the paint....
you might be at another thousand for rechrome
and misc...or more...
and orange is way more popular than Adriatic blue..sorry..
the above is why most people anymore go for the xlnt examples...
as not to go thru all the labor and time..
enjoy your 1.7 for now..and turn it later.. driving.gif
Cairo94507
It's your car- make it as you want. Just be aware, unless you do it correctly, as stated above with a complete, professional color change, you will really hurt the value of the car.

Personally, if your car is all original, I would not change the color. If your engine/transaxle numbers match (COA needed) then I would keep it signal orange and learn to love it.

Best wishes and enjoy your car.
orthobiz
It's an orange car. And Signal Orange is my favorite orange of all. Please do not change the color.

Paul
EdwardBlume
Do whatever you want. Yes, the value will be impaired. Especially 10-20 years from now when these cars are historical pieces. Most people buying cars with shiny paint ask if it's the original color / respray in the first 5 questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.