Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock fuel pump location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
Is this the stock fuel pump location?
Bleyseng
not that I recall
Lou W
Is that a bad location? should I move it?
scotty b
Move it up front. anywhere around the engine is bad. The pumps get hetated form the engine and in turn create a vapor lock after you shut down and may not start when you get back in. Factory corrected that by moving pump to the front of the car. Tons of discuccion here and tech articles on PP and others on doing it.
scotty b
I'm really not that bad a speller my mind is just way ahead of my fingers!! IPB Image
Lou W
Thanks for the input. IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Looks like someone moved it just a little from the stock location which was below the battery under the enginge shelf. This caused vapor lock form heating by the heat exchangers.

I moved move mine up into the engine compartment just below the Batt. No probs yet and much easier than moving to the front.
Lou W
Rhodes71/914 Posted on Jan 30 2005, 01:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like someone moved it just a little from the stock location which was below the battery under the enginge shelf. This caused vapor lock form heating by the heat exchangers.

I moved move mine up into the engine compartment just below the Batt. No probs yet and much easier than moving to the front.  

Do you have a picture of where you relocated your fuel pump?
Dave_Darling
Not stock for a 74. The early pumps may have been somewhere near there.

It's fine there; no need to move it unless you experience vapor lock. (Which is blamed much more often than it is actually present.)

--DD
Lou W
Dave_Darling Posted on Jan 31 2005, 02:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's fine there; no need to move it unless you experience vapor lock. (Which is blamed much more often than it is actually present.)

--DD  

That's what I really wanted to know, guess I should have said that when I asked the question. It looks like a good place and easy to service if needed. The vapor issue was one that I wasn't sure of though, if this was a good attempt by the PO to fix, or if this was a bad move. Thanks IPB Image
scotty b
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 31 2005, 02:26 PM)

--DD

IPB Image that maybe true, but after you experiance it once or twice you will wish you had moved it IPB Image IPB Image
aveale
due to a lack of time,

I moved my pump there.

I live in the cold and frozen north though, so maybe that is why i never had any probs.

T
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jan 30 2005, 08:57 PM)
Rhodes71/914 Posted on Jan 30 2005, 01:20 PM

Do you have a picture of where you relocated your fuel pump?

I would take one for you but everything is out of the engine comp. for rust repair and engine swap.

Looks like you night just leave it where it is though, actually looks very accesible there.
watsonrx13
I believe that this is the original location for the fuel pump. The reason I say 'believe' is that the PO had already removed the fuel pump and replaced it with a different one when he converted to carbs.

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
I think thats the brackett for the fuel filter.
Dave_Darling
It is. The original fuel pump location (on a 74, at least!) is where there is a patch of light-colored body filler in the upper-left of that photo.

--DD
DJsRepS
I live in fla some 95deg days. Yes that looks stock location to me that is where my 72/1.7L was. You guys will think Im crazy cause I relocated mine even closer to the motor. I did not like hearing the noise the thing made in that OEM location on the firewall. So I put mine on the motor mount cross bar. I removed all the heater parts as my exchangers were rusted internaly crusted and smoked when hot.... Here is the cool part I noticed an air port off the motor fan blower was now lined up with my new fuel pump location. I had it capped for more motor cooling but opened it up and it blows all over my fuel pump. Keeps it cool when ideling in traffic and it barely gets warm when you stop and the motor is cooling off. (no blowing air then). May sound crazy but it works for me and was cheap and easy too.
Lou W
I'm getting a little further into this, I'm not sure that that's a bad location, easy to replace or repair, previous PO did not have any problems, as far as he can remember, after it was moved here. It is rubber mounted with a bolt through the outer firewall, the inner firewall was cut open in that area. If I keep it here, I would weld the bolt to the outer firewall and patch the inner firewall. Otherwise, I would move it up front where most people move them. smile.gif
Lou W
Inner firewall would need to be patched.
Lou W
fuel filter mount
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.