Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SBC conversion need transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sellhammer
Have a pretty decent 350 with a 901. It hasn't exploded yet, but i know it is going to... Local porsche mechanic suggested the 915 especially for gearing. I am not totally sold as i haven't done it. Looking for a more permanent solution to handle the torque as i drive my car hard and fast smile.gif Any ideas would be much appreciated.
JRust
There are plenty of v8 conversions out there running with a 901. Just don't use first gear or do clutch drops. It will last if driven semi smart. You can still drive it pretty hard. It's the clutch drops that will kill you. If you roll not he throttle instead of hammer down all the time as fast as you can. Your 901 can take it. Plus if it does finally go. You can buy & replace it pretty cheap
HalfMoon
QUOTE(sellhammer @ Oct 28 2014, 11:59 PM) *

Have a pretty decent 350 with a 901. It hasn't exploded yet, but i know it is going to... Local porsche mechanic suggested the 915 especially for gearing. I am not totally sold as i haven't done it. Looking for a more permanent solution to handle the torque as i drive my car hard and fast smile.gif Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Well I also have a sbc and I'm using a 901. I would suggest getting with DrEvil and doing some mods that will greatly improve the driveability and endurance of your current setup (which can work very well for about a grand investment).
Omit 1st gear
Get an H gear for your final
Flip the other gears for better ratio's.
Use a W short shift kit with all new shift linkage bushings throughout.
You'll be quite impressed and spend less than a g, and assuming your not into burnouts all the time, this set up will last a long long time up to 300 hp
Bruce Hinds
There's already a lot written about this, so I won't re-write the book. Here's the quick and dirty.

First of all the 915 isn't any better than the 901, in fact gearing is lower and I don't know that you can do the gear swaps like the tricks they pull on the 901.

How much power do you want to run? I guess one should also ask, what kind of power. Torque is the limiting factor. The 901 is said to take 300HP - but that is a racing 2.0 6 cyl that would do a 24 hours race. That's quite a bit different than a 350 SBC that produced 350 ft/lbs at 3000 RPM.

I built a 30 over 327 with 9.0/1 compression and used a comp cams 212-2 cam that gave a fairly flat torque curve from 1800-6500 RPM. Long tube headers without a crossover will limit low end torque. Several engine builders suggested that it was in about the 330 HP range. After 20 years of driving the piss out of it on mountain roads in Colorado and California I sent the box to Renegade to have them put wider ration gears in it and asked them to tell me what the inside looked like.

"Normal wear and no issues noted." I never power shifted and never did burnouts. Side step the clutch and you can count on breaking the ring and pinion.

If you want to run more power or just want a better box, the 930 and G-50 are the ticket. They get pretty spendy though and you'll need to change the clutch and shifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.