Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Rear Valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Mike Fitton
When did Porsche abandon the rear valance with the porthole, I have a late 1970 914-6 (7/70) that has the shorter notched one that I believe is original to the car. Also interior back pad and seat vinyl trim is heavier grain which I know was for 1971.
Gustl
MY'70 + '71 had the long Version
Cairo94507
Yup. 70 & 71 had the snow plow valance for sure. Not sure about the 72 Six. I thought the short valance came out for the '73 model year. I could be wrong it has been a long time since they were new.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 29 2014, 04:04 PM) *

When did Porsche abandon the rear valance with the porthole, I have a late 1970 914-6 (7/70) that has the shorter notched one that I believe is original to the car. Also interior back pad and seat vinyl trim is heavier grain which I know was for 1971.

The notched valance panel was not used before 1973 on ANY 914's. though it will fit ALL 914's.
SKL1
Notched panel will fit any year but you'll need an exhaust from a '73 or newer or it won't exit at the right place. "71 1.7 exhaust and '73 1.7 don't exit at the same location. Ask me how I know...
PancakePorsche
My late 914-6 also a 7/70 has porthole. It is crucial to the appearance of a six model.
Cairo94507
I agree it is crucial to the appearance of a Six and would install one if the car is not really driven. The snow plow traps heat and that is not good for these motors. I am running the later short valance on my Six. I think (OK, I know I will get assaulted by the GT crowd) they look unfinished without a rear valance of some type. The shortie finishes the rear despite it not being the snow plow. Unfortunately my cars snow plow was missing from my Six when I bought it. If I had one, I would of course keep it as part of the car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 18 2015, 09:02 AM) *

I agree it is crucial to the appearance of a Six and would install one if the car is not really driven. The snow plow traps heat and that is not good for these motors. I am running the later short valance on my Six. I think (OK, I know I will get assaulted by the GT crowd) they look unfinished without a rear valance of some type. The shortie finishes the rear despite it not being the snow plow. Unfortunately my cars snow plow was missing from my Six when I bought it. If I had one, I would of course keep it as part of the car.

I know it isn't "proper" but a friend had his "plow" louvered in the 70's. Dissipated heat nicely and looked pretty cool...but rusted away rapidly in the Midwest. Someone should make these from stainless.
Cairo94507
Hey Pat- How are you doing? I was very upset to hear you might be selling your baby. I know how life is and sometimes it is time to let go of stuff so another can treasure and care for it. I just hope you aren't there yet.

I am seriously hoping to have my car back in my garage by August 1, 2015 - for my milestone birthday. I want to be able to enjoy it for a few years before I can't drive anymore.

Wishing you nothing but the best,
Michael
Beeliner
I ripped a couple of the plow valences by backing over curbs in parking lots then going forward catching them.

When the higher ones came out I changed over. 1972s had the plows for sure, as that was my newest 914.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 31 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Hey Pat- How are you doing? I was very upset to hear you might be selling your baby. I know how life is and sometimes it is time to let go of stuff so another can treasure and care for it. I just hope you aren't there yet.

I am seriously hoping to have my car back in my garage by August 1, 2015 - for my milestone birthday. I want to be able to enjoy it for a few years before I can't drive anymore.

Wishing you nothing but the best,
Michael

Thanks Mike!
I come here rarely anymore, and have no control over the 914 anymore. The wife gave me so much grief about peddling it that I titled over to her. Now she can deal with it when I croak!
Pat
Cairo94507
Hi Pat- Nice to see you here. We all miss your advice and experience. Hopefully your wife will surprise you and keep the car. My wife knows mine goes to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it - I'm thinking around 40-ish. He will be 12 in August slap.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 29 2015, 09:53 AM) *

Hi Pat- Nice to see you here. We all miss your advice and experience. Hopefully your wife will surprise you and keep the car. My wife knows mine goes to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it - I'm thinking around 40-ish. He will be 12 in August slap.gif

Well, I changed my mind on that issue. Health is 1000%better these days, but lots of things needing my attention have been getting priority. Been spending $$$$ on this house to get it ready to sell & move back to Cincy. THEN, the 14 gets all the attention it needs.
NDY (notdeadyet)
mepstein
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 22 2015, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 29 2015, 09:53 AM) *

Well, I changed my mind on that issue. Health is 1000%better these days, but lots of things needing my attention have been getting priority. Been spending $$$$ on this house to get it ready to sell & move back to Cincy. THEN, the 14 gets all the attention it needs.
NDY (notdeadyet)

Good for you. Cheers!
mark04usa
Glad to hear that you will be back to 914 upfixin soon. I have gotten some very useful instruction from your posts here and elsewhere, Pat. Thanks!

One thing I wish you would share is your experience with early rear valence and Bursch exhaust, as I will soon have that combination on my '70 1.7.

Cheers,
Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 10:14 PM) *

Glad to hear that you will be back to 914 upfixin soon. I have gotten some very useful instruction from your posts here and elsewhere, Pat. Thanks!

One thing I wish you would share is your experience with early rear valence and Bursch exhaust, as I will soon have that combination on my '70 1.7.

Cheers,
Mark

It's not a good fit. PO of my car tried it. Tailpipe doesn't fit the opening of the valence well. He made it work but wasn't pretty. Stock muffler works best. - my opinion.
mark04usa
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Cheers,
Mark

It's not a good fit. PO of my car tried it. Tailpipe doesn't fit the opening of the valence well. He made it work but wasn't pretty. Stock muffler works best. - my opinion.

Yes, the stock muffler would be best...wish that I had one, but it is $400! Some of us here have more limited funding. I need to get some use out of the new Bursch exhaust that I have had in stock for years now. If there is only an alignment problem with the tailpipe, that seems to be something that could be sorted out for less than $400 for another exhaust system.
Thanks,
Mark
Cairo94507
Pat - I am very pleased to hear that. You are a valued member of our community and we need you. You have had a significant impact on the decisions I make for my Six.

I am also going through a complete house remodel. Every single wall ripped to the studs, some moved, some windows moved, floor elevations changed to be all level (us old folks do not like stairs you know) ceilings raised, knew electrical, plumbing, hardwood floors, insullation, sheetrock, texture, trim, appliances, granite kitchen, carrera marble (I won that one biggrin.gif ) for the bathrooms and laundry, etc.

Then I get to do my garage and will build a lift into the concrete floor - center stall, raise the ceilings as much as possible, stereo in ceiling, airlines, crazy LED lighting, insulated rollup doors with jack shaft garage openers on the sides, custom cabinets and work bench. I will finish it off with a porcelain tile floor. I can't wait.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 22 2015, 11:39 PM) *

Pat - I am very pleased to hear that. You are a valued member of our community and we need you. You have had a significant impact on the decisions I make for my Six.

I am also going through a complete house remodel. Every single wall ripped to the studs, some moved, some windows moved, floor elevations changed to be all level (us old folks do not like stairs you know) ceilings raised, knew electrical, plumbing, hardwood floors, insullation, sheetrock, texture, trim, appliances, granite kitchen, carrera marble (I won that one biggrin.gif ) for the bathrooms and laundry, etc.

Then I get to do my garage and will build a lift into the concrete floor - center stall, raise the ceilings as much as possible, stereo in ceiling, airlines, crazy LED lighting, insulated rollup doors with jack shaft garage openers on the sides, custom cabinets and work bench. I will finish it off with a porcelain tile floor. I can't wait.

please adopt me
Cairo94507
I am pretty sure you are doing just fine. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 08:14 PM) *

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,
This was my experience with the Bursch exhaust in 1973 (funny how you can remember things from40+ years ago, yet forget to put out the trash!).
I removed the "snow plow" valence and factory muffler, bolted on the Bursch, and tried to refit the plow. Close, but about a half inch off. Elongated the valence hole by grinding off a half inch ( I should be throttled for that!). Remounted & it fit, though snugly. Unfortunately there was a lot of torque movement with the exhaust, causing periodic vibration against the valence metal. After about 4-6 months the valence gave up to stress cracks and split into 2 pieces!

I would recommend using the later valence with a Bursch. I would also recommend NOT using a Bursch exhaust because it's loud for no reason.
Pat
mepstein
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Jul 22 2015, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Cheers,
Mark

Yes, the stock muffler would be best...wish that I had one, but it is $400! Some of us here have more limited funding. I need to get some use out of the new Bursch exhaust that I have had in stock for years now. If there is only an alignment problem with the tailpipe, that seems to be something that could be sorted out for less than $400 for another exhaust system.
Thanks,
Mark

I bought a used stock muffler for $125 and threw out the bursch. Or do as Pat said and use a later rear valence.
Mike Fitton
I corrected this on my 914-6, see below.

Click to view attachment

gms
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 11 2016, 10:12 AM) *

I corrected this on my 914-6, see below.

Now correct your interior
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.