Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine compartment latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The rear engine compartment lid started popping open whenever I go over a bump. It appears that the L-shaped piece that screws into the lid is just barely catching the latch.
I was wondering if a slightly longer L-shaped piece could be made up ? Was tring to think of something that could be modified.

I can also loosen the lids bolts and slide it back a little.

Any thoughts here ?
Bob L.
Can you adjust the latch up a tad. It sounds like it's not catching all the way.
Might also be dirty and not moving smoothly.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Oct 30 2014, 05:41 PM) *

Can you adjust the latch up a tad. It sounds like it's not catching all the way.

The adjustment is up and down. Can you see if the L part is centered going into the latch? When the lid ups up it the latch still in the closed position ? If it is the latch I have lots of plated ones. There should also be a washer between the latch and the mounting surface. You could shim it out moving the latch toward the front of the car to engage the L better.

Bruce
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 30 2014, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Oct 30 2014, 05:41 PM) *

The adjustment is up and down. Can you see if the L part is centered going into the latch? When the lid ups up it the latch still in the closed position ? If it is the latch I have lots of plated ones. There should also be a washer between the latch and the mounting surface. You could shim it out moving the latch toward the front of the car to engage the L better.

Bruce

The latch remains closed when the lid pops open. I'l try shimming the latch out first; a shiney plated one would sure look good smile.gif I didn't measure the L piece's length, but it looks like it has worn away where it would normally sit in the latch.
TheCabinetmaker
The latch rod is also adjustable front to rear. Loosen the nut, slide it to the rear and tighten the nut.
GregAmy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 31 2014, 06:13 AM) *

The latch rod is also adjustable front to rear. Loosen the nut, slide it to the rear and tighten the nut.

^ This. Had the same issue. Wife found it amusing...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 31 2014, 03:13 AM) *

Thanks; it's been so long since I've had this happen I forgot about that. Will try that first.
smile.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 31 2014, 06:13 AM) *

The lid can also be adjusted forward and back and a bit side to side.
When closed it should be against both stops at its' rear corners. They are adjustable
as well. Rotate them by hand like as screw to raise or lower the corners.
The engine lid should be even with the rear lid and have equal spacing from side to side.
jim_hoyland
It was the latch rod smile.gif The nut was loose enough for the rod to slide a away from the latch. Put a drop of red lock-tite on the threads, tightened up the nut, and went for a test drive on the worst road I could find. Perfecto smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.