Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheels and Quick Release Hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
motorvated
Going racing soon with my '72 with Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing and possibly PCA in Colorado and would like to swap out the original steering wheel with something a bit smaller with a quick release. Mounting a Corbeau FX1 with 5-point harness on stock sliders in front of recessed rollcage, so I might need some extra clearance. What size and type of wheel and hub do people recommend?
campbellcj
QUOTE(motorvated @ Nov 4 2014, 10:28 AM) *

Going racing soon with my '72 with Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing and possibly PCA in Colorado and would like to swap out the original steering wheel with something a bit smaller with a quick release. Mounting a Corbeau FX1 with 5-point harness on stock sliders in front of recessed rollcage, so I might need some extra clearance. What size and type of wheel and hub do people recommend?

I remember a pretty long thread on this either here or maybe the Pelican racing forum. I have the Tekniq race version and have been extremely happy - no slop or issues after 10 years or so. It does bring the wheel a bit closer to you which you have to take into account when choosing a steering wheel (amount of dish) and setting everything up.
QUOTE(motorvated @ Nov 4 2014, 10:28 AM) *

I have an extra one that I will most likely never use. Pm me your email for picture and pricing if interested.
GaroldShaffer
I have the same question also. My (new to me) 73 has a stock wheel. I was thinking of going with a momo, but I like the idea of a quick release to make easier to get in & out around the cage.
Jetsetsurfshop
Heres a pic from my track car. I bought the hub and the disconnect from Rennline. It all works great. But, it bring the steering wheel out to much for my liking. So I removed the arms from the column, cut down the housing and used a early 911 steering shaft.
The steering wheel is over to the side on the dash. I may have some more info if you need it. It was some work (also had to remove the steering lock for racing) but with the roll cage, its so worth it.

andrew15
I've got a Rothsport Racing setup and like it a lot
I also have their hub adapter so you don't have a 4"momo adapter + a "3"quick release and a wheel too close to your chest smile.gif
RON S.
Here's a pic of my Tekniq setup.

I've probably had it for about 8 years or so now. Works great. 2 thumb pulls 180 degrees apart to put on, and take off.

Tight fit, and the horn does work.

It was a hundred bucks or so if I recall..
MikeSpraggi
I have been using the NRG thin quick release hub. Has worked out well for me, though I can now get in and out of the car without removing the wheel. But I do take it off from time to time without issues, or more importantly, no issues on the track! Keeps the steering wheel at a just about the stock distance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.