Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche rear reflector question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
Its just a plastic reflector, why do these cost hundreds of dollars? Is it because they say "PORSCHE"?
beech4rd
It's because for a long time they were NLA from Porsche and now they are being manufactured and sold through Porsche Classic, which is not a cheap source. So, basically, it's because it's a plastic reflector with the word Porsche printed on it.
Hank914
Yes, that. biggrin.gif

But even the "Porsche" is not enough to explain it. The after market "Porsche" does not get as much love ($$) as the original 911 factory reflector that had to be cut down to the little brother 914 size, which brings ($$$).

I think that supply and demand also explains it. But not sufficiently, IMHO. And this question could be asked of most Porsche parts.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Nov 4 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Yes, that. biggrin.gif

But even the "Porsche" is not enough to explain it. The after market "Porsche" does not get as much love ($$) as the original 911 factory reflector that had to be cut down to the little brother 914 size, which brings ($$$).

I have one that is a 911 cut down and one that was made for 914 (after market). The obvious difference besides the cut edge is the one made for the 914 has a black border on all 4 sides - the cut down ones do not have it (because it was cut).
PanelBilly
Where's 914 Rubber on this one?
biosurfer1
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 4 2014, 11:35 AM) *

Where's 914 Rubber on this one?

Probably staying away since they say "PORSCHE" on them and Porsche really, really doesn't like it if you use their name is any way.
JStroud
confused24.gif I bought one for $10 at the G&R swap....not that expensive you just have to look in the right places. shades.gif
76-914
Contact member '73-714kid. He has a couple of them.
wes
I have one I bought at a fair price but Im still trying to decide if I really want to put it on my nice new paint or should it be garage art!
rjames
QUOTE(wes @ Nov 4 2014, 12:24 PM) *

I have one I bought at a fair price but Im still trying to decide if I really want to put it on my nice new paint or should it be garage art!

Sell it and buy some better art. biggrin.gif
mepstein
It was a cool look in the '80s. I had one. Now, not so much.
JStroud
I bought mine because my black car already has the holes for one. Was thinking about fitting it with LED lights hooked to the brake lights for one big center brake light.
Cairo94507
Not my cup of tea, even in the 80's. I would hang one in the garage though.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JStroud @ Nov 4 2014, 05:37 PM) *

I bought mine because my black car already has the holes for one. Was thinking about fitting it with LED lights hooked to the brake lights for one big center brake light.

I slipped a strip of LED tape behind mine, nothing shined through. I have an aftermarket 914 reflector.

I like the looks of my reflector. confused24.gif And my hood badge smile.gif
dw914six

Garage Art.....I like the look of the back with the paint showing. Besides, the Porsche plastic makes it more difficult to get into the rear trunk. My new (to me) 914 has it and I have to push a button hidden under the bumper to open it. I also have an electrical push button in the glove box, but I think the weight of the rear hood closes itself after you push that button, so you need to use the manual one in the rear, while you pull up on the trunk lid. shades.gif
Rand
Why would anybody want one? It's like going to Pep Boys and getting one of those Porsche tint things to go across the top of your windshield. No 914 ever came with one from the factory, so it's just pimping the name where it doesn't belong. Be proud of your NARP!
/crustiness /$.02
smile.gif
76-914
Mark and Rand are BOTH correct. 914's are like women. Ask me if I like Blondes, Brunette's or Red Heads and I will answer "YES!" I have a White 76 with tail script & Hood Badge and I like how it looks. I have a Black '73 w/o either appurtenance and I like it's appearance as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I love all colors with or w/o bling.
Hank914
QUOTE(dw914six @ Nov 4 2014, 03:19 PM) *

Garage Art.....I like the look of the back with the paint showing. Besides, the Porsche plastic makes it more difficult to get into the rear trunk. My new (to me) 914 has it and I have to push a button hidden under the bumper to open it. I also have an electrical push button in the glove box, but I think the weight of the rear hood closes itself after you push that button, so you need to use the manual one in the rear, while you pull up on the trunk lid. shades.gif

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but hassles are no fun. The PO did this and the electric lock. And a rear spoiler also. Oh joy! The weight does keep the rear deck locked even after I push the hidden glovebox button. But I don't think I have an external under-the-bumper button, so I always have to have a second set of hands to open the rear deck. Beholder is right. And also the comment about the 80's.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Nov 4 2014, 07:01 PM) *

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but hassles are no fun. The PO did this and the electric lock. And a rear spoiler also. Oh joy! The weight does keep the rear deck locked even after I push the hidden glovebox button. But I don't think I have an external under-the-bumper button, so I always have to have a second set of hands to open the rear deck. Beholder is right. And also the comment about the 80's.

Think long and hard about installing this item..unless you have a BIG identity problem....the damage done to install them is very hard to repair.
Mikey914
I actually have been working on a rear reflector for the center that will not have to be drilled. The other component of the project is a release for the rear trunk.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 4 2014, 10:48 PM) *

I actually have been working on a rear reflector for the center that will not have to be drilled. The other component of the project is a release for the rear trunk.

Can you make one that says "rust" on it?
Mikey914
YEP
carr914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 5 2014, 01:48 AM) *

That would be easy. Cut the Bolts off and use Double Faced Tape to put the Reflector on
pisces914
i bought my '76 from the original owner ten years ago - there is a cut rear reflector and trunk solenoid release installed - very clean installation - when i asked her about the installation, she said that the dealer where she purchased the porsche (near coos bay, oregon) did the install - it looks factory - i wouldn't have picked this, but it does look good on a rubber bumper 914 - i never knew there was a 914 specific rear reflector until now!

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Yes there was a reflector kit made specifically for the 914 back in the day because a lot of owners felt jipped since all the 911s @ the time had them. Production on those kits stopped a long time ago & they became NLA, so people started cutting down 911 reflectors to fit. The 914 kit came with an electric trunk release included & looked pretty sharp when installed. Yes, I was/still am a car parts catalog junkie biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914

I always liked the look. It seems to tie the tail lights together. Maybe a version without text would be better.
ben*james
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 23 2014, 12:32 PM) *

I always liked the look. It seems to tie the tail lights together. Maybe a version without text would be better.

agree.gif
Or could we get one that says 914? chowtime.gif
Bossman
Mine came with what appears to be a stick on model. The center is cut out for the trunk lock and there are is no mounting hardware on the otherside. Plan on pulling it off and putting the stock emblems back on. Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
I don't like the aftermarket ones. Mostly because they are very obviously not factory. The red reflective surface is a lighter color red, the script is slightly different, the depth is different, the reflective texture is different and then there's the black border that was never done on any reflector from the factory.

I have an OG one that was properly cut to size and already installed on my red car (sold) by one of the PO. I removed it to keep before selling, entertaining installing it on my next secondary 914 since I obviously can't install it on the LE. I always like the look of it, but now I'm more accustomed to it without. Probably because the contrasting colors on the LE. I'm a keep it for another 914 that I will be able to customize since I can't on my LE. if not, I also kept it to sell separately since they are very valuable for original ones. However right now, it hangs on my garage wall undee my original 914 chrome luggage rack, which also makes for a nice garage art.

AA has the aftermarket ones, but I don't care for them personally. And even those are nice coin, so if you want one I would find a bargain original one. they look much better, and if you're like me, you want everything OG, even if it didn't come from the factory that way.
matthepcat
I can't wait to remove the one on my car. Unfortunately there are huge holes cut for it.

Thinking about cutting a peice of aluminum to size, paint matching it and sticking it over all body damage from installation. Much cheaper than body work.
dangrouche
to each his own; I went through that "phase," installed one because it made it look like 911. eventually the novelty wears off and you have to patch the holes. also that alternative lock to open the trunk is always worrisome. As I got older, OEM is what looks best to me. Used to have the OEM one mounted and later owned the aftermarket one. the first was installed, sold, then the aftermarket came into my parts bin, then used as garage art, then sold.
rjames
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 4 2014, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Nov 4 2014, 07:01 PM) *

Think long and hard about installing this item..unless you have a BIG identity problem....the damage done to install them is very hard to repair.

Fill a few holes and then paint. What's so hard? confused24.gif
sb914
You can also glue rare earth magnets on the back of the reflecter.
Will not move ,no drill holes,pop off when your over it.
mepstein
I like the magnet idea. I would never drill holes to put one on a car.
stinkindiesel
I bought a car with a cracked reflector. I really wanted to remove it until I found the huge holes that had been cut in the panel to mount it. Now I'm stuck in between. Do I bite the bullet and buy a new reflector, or try to find a way to patch the holes? If it was easier to replace the entire panel, I'd go that route.

Gary
Junebug
I have three of the cut 911 ones. I picked the best looking one and used 2 large binder clips to install. Loosen the taillight housings and using the end cut reflector inner void slide one side of clip into it (remove the little chrome levers) and the other side goes inside trunk. Ran the reflector 2 months no-issues, looked great, but I got sick of all the tailgate racers pushing me and a car that was not wanting to race or the additional attention.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
djway
I had the after market unit on my 75 that I built long ago. It also had the euro lens's. I really liked it. I am actually going to make a replica of that car. The car I have to do the recreation had a cut 911 and it sticks out way to far and it cracked in multiple places. The old unit fit flat and did not sit out beyond the trunk lip.
I need to find one and I also need to find a set of Fuchs. That car had American Eagles which I painted the normally black part the body color along with the lugs.
Most everything I can find easily or make myself.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but back in the 80's and my Dancing Days It caught the eye of the ladies and I was happy to have a center belt piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I had too..uh 2

NoPORSCHE reflector, GT themed stainless cover and hood pin trunk release.

blk magnetic panel temporary
dcheek
Correct me if I'm wrong - This reflector is still NLA. The Porsche is molded in the reflector whereas the factory one that is available now, the Porsche is printed in black.
Click to view attachment
Steve
My 75 came with one and they drilled the big holes in the back for it, so I kept it.
Over the years it disintegrated, so I bought a used 911 one at the G&R and cut it down to fit. I always had problems with the solenoid, so I installed a heavy duty spal solenoid.
rhodyguy
Jeff, what is the black thing on the roof of the red beast?
sixnotfour
rally car air vent..
pvollma
QUOTE(JStroud @ Nov 4 2014, 06:37 PM) *

I just stumbled across this thread. My 76 had the reflector installed by the PO. I added the LED strips for the center brake light. The trick is to grind off the reflector material in front of the LED strips before attaching them. I also removed the electrical trunk release, which rarely worked, and reinstalled the stock pushbutton and lock by drilling a matching hole in the reflector.
Click to view attachment
reharvey
These rear reflector kits can still be found if you're willing to look. This one is NOS from the early 80s. I've installed one of these on all of my cars over the years. This one is my back up in case any of mine need replaced so it's not for sale. Ray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.