Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Starting Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
I have a 1976 2.1 engine fitted with injection. Just took delivery of it. Engine was a new rebuild. My problem is diagnosing a severe starting problem. The engine cranks fine, but requires a large number of attempts before it fires off. By large.....I mean that I actuate the starter motor about 20 times before the motor fires off. Each actuation is for about 10-15 seconds.

Once the engine fires off, it runs very nicely. Idles well and has plenty of power. And, it is responsive. I'll take it out for a drive to get it good and warm. Then I'll shut the engine off and immediately attempt a restart only to find that I am back making multiple attempts before the motor will fire off again.

I've checked distributor dwell and it is right on the money. I was told that the spark plugs and wires are new.

I'm not familiar with 914's, but could this issue be an ignition switch issue? Or, perhaps a fuel pump issue? Though once started, I do not sense any indication of fuel starvation.

Looking for ideas to check. Also, where is the easiest place to tap in a pressure gauge to take a look at fuel pressure?

I've altered the manner in which I start the car to see if it makes a difference. Normally, on injected cars, I switch on the ignition, wait a few seconds (for the fuel pump to pressurize) and then I crank the engine......never touching the accelerator. Then I attempted to pump the accelerator several times with the ignition on but before I crank the starter. Then I attempted to pump the accelerator while cranking the starter. None of these techniques makes any difference in the symptoms described above.

At this point I am a little frustrated with the car.
Bob L.
Since it's cranking you can probably rule out the switch. I would check that you have spark at the plugs and that the injectors are squirting.
TheCabinetmaker
Try holding the gas pedal down while cranking. That would indicate flooding if it starts
Jon H.
Check and see if the fuel pump is running while in the crank position.

Jon H.
earossi
Problem solved. Intermittently "bad" ignition switch.

Thanks for all the replies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.