Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rims\tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
driver66
my 4 lug 914 has the original rims ,i need to know if 205\60\15 fit these rims ......there just steel rims [look vw] with 165r 15 .
Lawrence
IIRC, the original steel wheels were 4.5 inches wide. I doubt 205s will fit well, if at all. If you need tires that size, consider picking up a set of Fuchs.

-Rusty
72Signal914
I have 2.0L Fuchs and I'm running 205/55/15 at all 4 corners it might fit but it will rub in the rear once the tires get warm for a little bit. Mine did that and they are cambered in slightly
kdfoust
When I was looking at tires as I remember it, all the 205s had 5.5" as minimum rim width. Check out tirerack they've got the specs for the tires they sell.

Have fun,
Kevin
driver66
damn,i thaught they were 5 inch ,and the vw's were 4.5 :gilloutine: :gilloutine: great im screwed ,i need a fix like yesterday for this
Lawrence
Okay... here's the deal.

Early steel wheels were 4.5x15

Late steel wheels were 5.5x15

Do your steel wheels have a circle in the center, or a LARGE prominent X ?
seanery
And...as far as 205's fitting: It's hit or miss. Mine did (74 2.0), but I've seen others that rub. Our cars are consistently inconsistent with the space available back there.
Dave_Darling
Also, if someone did use actual Bug wheels, you won't be able to fit anything wider than 165 under stock fenders. And sometimes not even those!!

A good way to tell on yours: Measure how much clearance you have to the inner and outer fenders. On each rear fender. If you have an inch or more on each side of both rear tires before you get to the fender (at the points where they come the closest) then you can fit 205s. (205s are "about" 40mm wider than 165s, 25.4mm is one inch, so 1" on each side will give you about 5mm of clearance.)

--DD
driver66
thanks again gang
driver66
just put on 195\60\15 on the front they feel great [short spin around the block], it does look as if they have plenty of room to work. ....now,the rear 195\60\15 sounds great to me although i believe they will throw off my speedo. does anyone have an idea howmuch ?/? or any suggestions????remember my stock steel rims. mueba.gif
driver66
will vw sandrail 4 lug rims bolt up ?granted most are of lighter gauge steel ,but some would be strong enough surely ,if i remmember right ive heard they were 125 gauge that they mostly use for sandrail, does that sound right and can someone give me a good gauge number for spirited street driveing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.