Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Golfing and Porsches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
Wondering if anyone has figured out how to carry a full bag of golf clubs and maybe a fold-up pull cart in their 914. I would love to start playing more courses around central California and double the pleasure with driving my Porsche.
I recently saw someone at our local course putting his clubs in the back of a 914/6 but I can't imagine the Driver and fairway woods fitting back there.
Anyone fabricate a exterior rack for their bag? I'm thinking it could be done and maybe even hold two bags.
r_towle
They fit, get a smaller bag.
SirAndy
A normal sized golf bag fits in the rear trunk or alternatively you can put the top in the trunk and put the bag on your passenger seat.
smile.gif
scrz914
I do have a pretty big bag. Not really made for shoulder carry. The problem I've had with the bag in the pass. seat is that it tends to want to move around too much even tied down with the seat belt. I probably could figure out some sort of cradle so it would stay.
r_towle
Smaller bag....

I got one of the bags that has an integrated back pack style set of straps.
No more cart, better for the back to walk straight and not be twisted while pulling a cart.
Also, better overall to walk the course.

Bag fits fine in the trunk, and all my crap fits in it.

Clean out the old bag...
I also have a shoe bag with other shit in it, also fits in the trunk next to the smaller bag.
scrz914
just added a new bag to my Christmas list smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
A Porsche 914 is a beautifully designed, well made, delight to drive. driving.gif Golf on the other hand is a sick, masochistic endeavor. barf.gif Why would anyone in their right mind want to mix the two? confused24.gif poke.gif av-943.gif
r_towle
I will look tomorrow, but it think it's an OGIO bag.
Smaller than a cart bag.
Specifically wanted to fit in the car, and walk.
So less weight.
Has backpack straps with an integrated waist belt
Has integrated stand.

Weighs empty about 15 pounds, maybe...
Lays down flat, fits in rear trunk.
ben*james
Clubs fit fine in the trunk. The pull cart can be a challenge. I've had luck with a click gear in the front trunk with the spare tire out smile.gif.

I can't imagine driving to a golf course in something other than a targa......I'm sorry, just can't.
r_towle
QUOTE(ben*james @ Nov 7 2014, 11:52 PM) *

Clubs fit fine in the trunk. The pull cart can be a challenge. I've had luck with a click gear in the front trunk with the spare tire out smile.gif.

I can't imagine driving to a golf course in something other than a targa......I'm sorry, just can't.

911 cabriolet, clubs in back seat...
That works too smile.gif
scrz914
Golf on the other hand is a sick, masochistic endeavor. barf

You sound like a frustrated golfer just like me. biggrin.gif
Spoke
My golf bag fits in the rear trunk of my 914.

Doesn't fit in the trunk of my 911. Has to go on the front seat. Problem is it rolls around when I corner to the point where I have to put the seat belt on the golf bag to keep it from attacking me on right hand corners.
altitude411
bs.gif ...it's not frustrating, it's aggravating, fuching aggravating. Ridiculous stupid game. I hope my clubs rust in the trunk hissyfit.gif

* can't wait til spring....
r_towle
A great walk ruined
DRPHIL914
Last year I bought a nice light carry bag-nike, still has all the pockets and I carry a full set , fits perfect in the 914 . In fact it also fit in the trunk of my boxster if I took the woods out and put them in separately.
wndsnd

Wine, Cheese, Polo, Golf, all stink 911. mad.gif

Stick with the 914 and meet them at the 19th. beer3.gif

John
sb914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 8 2014, 06:30 AM) *

Wine, Cheese, Polo, Golf, all stink 911. mad.gif

Stick with the 914 and meet them at the 19th. beer3.gif

John

agree.gif golf is for guys who can't surf poke.gif
IronHillRestorations
He says with a 911 engine in his avatar...

Years ago I had a pull cart that had removable wheels, that would fit in the back of my 914. A couple years ago I got a cool collapsible pull cart that folded very compactly.

Now I have really bad tendonitis and haven't played golf in about two years. Boo
wndsnd
That my friend is inspiration for my 914 engine...... in process......

John
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 7 2014, 08:44 PM) *

A Porsche 914 is a beautifully designed, well made, delight to drive. driving.gif Golf on the other hand is a sick, masochistic endeavor. barf.gif Why would anyone in their right mind want to mix the two? confused24.gif poke.gif av-943.gif

Averages out ... The result is mediocrity.

The Cap'n
turk22
I take my son and my golf bag in the rear trunk without issues. If I don't want to carry the bag, I rent a pull cart for $2....

the 914 is by far the most practical Porsche, even for general/grocery shopping.
altitude411
QUOTE(turk22 @ Nov 8 2014, 09:22 AM) *

I take my son and my golf bag in the rear trunk without issues.

child protective services might take issue with you putting your son in the trunk. idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Nov 7 2014, 08:57 PM) *

Golf on the other hand is a sick, masochistic endeavor. barf

You sound like a frustrated golfer just like me. biggrin.gif

I am no longer a frustrated golfer. I sold my clubs 40 years ago without the nine iron because I had wrapped it around a tree. av-943.gif
shoguneagle
I first built the "fastest golf cart" (914 with Chev V8) and was it quick. Problem I could only use it going to and fro the golf course; golf clubs were attached to a modified ski rack and two of us went golfing.

When I retired sold the old clubs and never looked back, more than enough to do in retirement.
veekry9
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 7 2014, 11:44 PM) *

Golf on the other hand is a sick, masochistic endeavor. barf.gif

Click to view attachment

It is true,I narrowly missed that obsession of the mind,the perfect game.
Hooked while I watched Jack Nicklaus play 274(-6) to run-up by a stroke at the '65 Canadian Open.
Uncalculated time spent in practice,years of a lifetime on that very course.
It all came to fruition when I was invited to play a company tournament in '04.
A dogleg right par 4 past a line of mature trees,the entire exec staff looking on.
Test the wind,sweat on the brow,intense concentration,eye the ball,dig in the stance.
A perfect drive 40' over the trees,and still climbing,fading gently right beyond the apogee in the light breeze.
Perfect ting of the club face and a huge distance,seen only at the apex,the follow-through paramount.
The drive,the result of great practice,any pro would be proud of under the pressure,although nothing like what the the pros endure.
Why,I occasionally find myself watching them on TV to make comparisons.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.5488093,-79....1!1e3?hl=en
Vysoc
I would like to add a little something to this as I have worked in the golf industry for 40 of my 52 years of life, I have been a PGA Golf Professional for 25 years.

The 914 is the greatest car of all time the rear trunk with a width of 53"+ at the widest point and 44" just below the rear suspension points.
For reference the average driver (which is your reference point) length in 1970-76 was 43"..... today's Drivers are a standard at 45-3/4".

You can get two carry bags in the rear trunk or one cart bag. Today's big brands are:
Ogio, Sun Mountain, Ping, Titleist, Nike etc...

We marvel at the new cars with no ability to fit a set of clubs?, the Cadillac Hatchback SUV type thing.....you have to lay the back seat down as it is not wide enough with their "fit & finish" confused24.gif to get a single bag sideways in the back, or the other way?

Other luxury brands thought this through and have plenty of room; Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW.

Porsche had great foresight to know the Long Putter would also be a factor at 48" no problem fits right in the 914, but just until 2016 when the USGA will outlaw it's use in tournament play.

The 914 the perfect companion to take on the most difficult game ever conceived, if you want to see a funny video about golf go to "You Tube" and check out Robin Williams rant on the game the funniest thing you'll ever hear whether you like golf or not!

I like golf it has been very good to me!!! flag.gif

Vysoc flag.gif
veekry9
He's right,it is the most difficult game,I liken it to a game of snooker on a sloped table a few thousand yds long.

http://www.mississauguagolf.com/History.aspx

The spirits of the tribes remain on the course,once a village,hunting ground and burial site.
For centuries a spiritual place to be and exist in the great white north.

http://www.heritagemississauga.com/page/Aboriginal-Culture
Larmo63
Tennis, anyone?
turk22
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 8 2014, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(turk22 @ Nov 8 2014, 09:22 AM) *

I take my son and my golf bag in the rear trunk without issues.

child protective services might take issue with you putting your son in the trunk. idea.gif

He talks.... a lot.... huh.gif
EdwardBlume
My 914 was a former golf car. Dad used to take it and play 2-3 times a week in the 80s. w00t.gif
9won4
Click to view attachment No pull cart, but mine fit.
Chris914n6
The sport of Golf - A competition between 2 or more drivers in spec rally carts with the goal to collect flags in numerical order while avoiding club wielding agents of "The Man". Each contestant will be provided with a basket of balls to use as desired. Extra points can be awarded for the collection of colored balls. Yellow = 1 flag. Red = 2 flags. Any other non-white color = 3 flags. Driver with the most flags wins.
eyesright
Put the golf clubs in the Pontiac. Drive the 914. Tell wife/girlfriend to meet you at the golf course...in two hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.