Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do-IT-Yourself Steel Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Hi Folks,

Some of you know that I'm working on a video on how to make your own flares. I've attached a picture of the first one which is part way done. About 20 hours into it so far. It will fit a 8" wide wheel,and is about 1-1/2" wider than original. It is possible to go wider than this, just a lot more work. Haven't done the metal-finishing yet. This was all done with a ballpeen hammer, a homemade pryng tool, a hammer and dolly, and a few other common and cheap tools.

In the video I will be showing how to get the shape and flow where you want it, how to smooth the surface of the metal with a vice grip clamp, shrinking with a shrinking disc (no shrinking on this one yet), and the uses of a hammer and dolly to name just a few of the techniques. I plan to also show examples of other metalshaping projects using simple hand tools that don't cost much.

I'll probably offer several different kits starting with just the video, then adding a custom shaped pry tool, a shrinking disc for those who want to do the metal-finishing the easy way, and maybe some other tools. I'm a ways from gettin the video done, but wanted to try and gauge the interest that might be out there.

You would have to be on good terms with your neighbors, because you will be doing a lot of pounding!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
MarkV
I am on a corner lot. smash.gif
Mueller
Looks nice....good job !!!!!
Andyrew
I would be very interested in the video. The flare looks nice! Let me know, as I will be getting my car down off jacks in a month.
Brad Roberts
John,

When the video is done.. we will put a page together for this web site and help sell them for you.

B
John Kelly
MARKV, being on a corner lot won't help much!

Mike, Thanks for the kind words!

Andyrew, I'll post when the videos are ready.

Brad, Wow! Nice offer. Thank you! It means a lot to me.

MarkV
John,

I know, already have a bad rep in the neighborhood. You are truly talented.
cgnj
Good thing I haven't cut up my roller. I can practice before I screw up the nice one.

Carlos

76 2270
76 project

I could have had a flat six!
McMark
I've got $40 here for the video. Plus whatever the cost of the kit is. I'm ready to spend now, put me on the list. I'm very excited by this project.
Zeke
As a novice metal worker, I am extremely impressed! I see a few dimples and yet you are going for perfect. I would probably already been slathering the Bondo on. I'm a video buyer for sure. BTW, are the Ron Covel videos worth getting as well? He doesn't do Porsches, but does a little more fab work.
cha914
count me in... smash.gif + 914 = FUN!

Tony
914Timo
I am not sure if I want to try that to my 914 now. The paint is too good (so far). But, I am still very interested in about your video. Those flares looks very nice. If I some day repaint my car, I would love to have flares like those. How much those videos will be ?? Do you see any troubles sending abroad ??
Dave Cawdrey
Count me in, too. I want the super delux kit, please...

It'll be for the kids. Honest wink.gif

BTW, John, hows the list for your flares coming? Started on the 3rd set, yet?
joea9146
Wow very nice... I would be interested in the kit.............. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
John Kelly
Carlos,

You won't have to practice on your roller. This is a very simple process with a few tricks that are better demonstrated than explained. Plus you will wear your arms out as it is. No need to do more hammering than necessary!

Mark D. Thanks!

Milt,

The beauty of it is, you can stop metalshaping at whatever point you decide is good enough, and start using filler. I hope that once folks see how easy it is to fine tune the fenders they will take the extra time to get it smooth enough to where little or no filler will be required. It is rewarding, if time consuming, to do metal-finishing, and learning it is useful for dent repair as well. Ron Covell is a super nice guy. He actually went out of his way to say nice things about a couple of projects of mine on a hotrod forum. I have a few of his videos. They are well worth the money.

Tony, You're in, thanks!

Timo,

I don't think there would be a problem shipping a tape or kit to Helsinki, and I would be happy to do it.

Korijo,

You're in too. The waiting list for flares is kind of in limbo because I'm slow, and a few people have not responded so I'm waiting to hear back from them before going further down the list. This along with several sick family members, Ghia work etc....well you get the picture. I'm hoping that the video will ease the burden of trying to make flares for people in a timely matter. I've completed 3 sets, but have several more time consuming sets of Ghia flares to build in the next few months.

Joe A. Thanks!

I appreciate the nice response from all of you to my work, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Lawrence
John,

I'm really impressed. I'm looking forward to your video.

I haven't heard of the Covel videos. Can you comment on them, please?

-Rusty
djm914-6
smash.gif driving.gif smash.gif MDB2.gif

I don't like my neighbors on the garage side, so I could be interested in a full kit. If not for this car, then maybe the next.
J P Stein
My flares are amateurish, but serviceable (thank God for Bondo). I am not pleased with their shape and I could use another 3/4 inch width in the rear for some 8 inch wheels.

Put me on the list for the video. The thought of actually knowing WFT I'm doing appeals to me. I *think* my hands have 2 more flares left in them.
PDQ914
pray.gif I am about 1 month away from painting my project 914 do you know if you will be done anywhere near that time with the video. I would gladly wait a little while before painting just to do this.
crash914
ohmy.gif Count me in for a video!!

I got new fender lips to replace my rolled and hammered ones, now I want to learn how to shape them......This is my next project! Let's get busy!!!! clap56.gif
John Kelly
Rusty,

The Covell videos are available on his web site which is on my links page "covellbiz.." I think or at the metalshapers site: www.metalshapers.org I have "Basic techniques for working with steel", and "Working with tubing", as well as "The Steve Davis shop tour. There are more.

JP Stein,

This technique may make your arms tired but it's not too hard on the hands. I'm flattered that you would consider re-doing your flares my way.

PDQ914,

If you are one month from paint, it's already too late. I don't see anyone doing all this work in one month without their arms falling off, although I suppose that's because I'm not so young anymore. I think it will be two months or so before I have tapes ready to sell. If you can postpone the paint job I can get you started by coaching you on what needs to be done so you'll be ready when the video comes out. There is a lot of work required before it gets too tricky.

Crash 914, here is a link to an article I wrote that migh be of a little help with the welding if you're interested:

http://www.type2.com/library/body/wlsh.htm

nomore4
I'm interested in a copy of your video. pray.gif

Joe
914Timo
Sounds good. I am very interested in about the video. Keep on good work !!! pray.gif
mattillac
looks bitchin'!! i'd rather pound on my 914 with a hammer than cut it with a saws-all and weld on it! if i can get some wide rubber on in the rear without weld on steel flares or fiberglass, i just might need a change of underwear... drooley.gif
SpecialK
Absolutely want one of the kits! To hell with the neighbors! smash.gif
Duffster
John... count me in for the kit... I'll have to re-flange the fender lips when I get them bumped out far enough to cover the super-cups. (The result of violence to metal with baseball bats because I hadn't found your site when the rennmotor went in the car). I have been putting off finishing the body work until Your video/kit came out and I could get the fenders where I want them. boldblue.gif
dinomium
Hey John, I really enjoyed talking with you at the Hunts fire off party. I will be buying your vidi as soon as it is ready...

If you need a car to do some "live" demos, I can offer up mine. No need to thank me, I am just that kind a guy!

Great stuff! Keep it up... fences and triple pane windows make for good neighbors
aktion035.gif
John Kelly
Thanks guys! Sorry to be so pathetic getting the video done, but it's out of my control. The good news is we are planning to make it a little more comprehensive, and most of the 11 hours of tape is condensed down to a managable level. I also figured out a few new tricks in the interim. One is a fairly simple way to make flares from scratch for those who want something a little different. We plan to do some more shooting in the next week or two...Hopefully it will be ready for christmas.

Dino, you are too kind...for some reason your generous offer sounds familiar...must have heard it before somewhere...nice try!

jdogg
Keep us posted, a nice fender massage is on my winter to do list!!
bondo
Sweet! That would be an awesome x-mas present! (for me) I should drop a hint or two towards my wife smile.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jun 2 2003, 07:39 PM)
I've got $40 here for the video. Plus whatever the cost of the kit is. I'm ready to spend now, put me on the list. I'm very excited by this project.

aktion035.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
joea9146
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Oct 28 2004, 04:35 PM)
I also figured out a few new tricks in the interim. One is a fairly simple way to make flares from scratch for those who want something a little different.

Hi John....

What do you mean by flares from Scratch.... can u give more details ?
John Kelly
||Hi Joe,

I was stretching the rear quarters on a Ghia using the main method in the video, and ran into a problem. With the inner fender well removed for access, it was easy to stretch the metal, but the body was easily pulled out of shape having lost some of its rigidity. The Ghia (rear only)relies on this structure in a way that a single walled fender does not.

What I came up with is an easy way to form 3/8" hot rolled square stock into a new wheel opening, then take flat pieces of sheet metal and roll them in a conical shape (easier than it sounds), weld them to the body and the square stock, then stretch a little compound shape using the original method. This way there is structure holding it together and there is far less stretching required to get a big flare. The 3/8" stock absorbs some of the heat from welding which keeps shrinkage to a minimum. Paper patterns help figure out how many pieces are required for a flare.

I can post a few pictures on this soon if you like.

Duffster,

Do you have a picture of the wheel opening flange? I might have a way for you to fix it.

rhodyguy
i searched for the flare party thread to pull it up. 8 dedicated maniacs, a patient guide, and a handfull of earplugs make for some drastic changes.

kevin
J P Stein
I gots me some schlicks so I'm committed (or should be wacko.gif ) to getting some room for em'. The palm nailer
sounds (NPI) like the cat's ass.

John:
I have a bunch of lead.....old fisherpersons end up with this kinda stuff. About how much should my purse weigh?
.....a straight line for 2000 smart asses. laugh.gif
thesey914
John, I love the look of your flares but probably like most am aprehensive about smashing the rear fenders about.
You really reckon a handy novice can get results like yours?? smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 29 2004, 01:11 PM)

I think Andyrew was working on hammered flares, maybe he'll speak up about how they're coming along.
J P Stein
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Oct 29 2004, 12:11 PM)
John, I love the look of your flares but probably like most am aprehensive about smashing the rear fenders about.

I did mine with the vaguest of clues. They don't look like John's
but he's a pro. For the rest of us, there's Bondo.

I'll get to work on mine (again) in a couple weeks and take pics. Maybe I can show you what NOT to do biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Here's a pic of my first go-round.
John Kelly
thesey914,

I think anyone who has a little patience can get good results with my techniques, plus I'm available for help if you have a problem. At the very least the video will help someone decide whether or not to attack their car with a hammer. I fully expect most people to use a little filler when they do the flares, otherwise it takes forever to nit-pick every little spot. I'm trying to make the information as clear as possible. The method is very basic with a few tricks to make it easier to do.

JP,

I don't use lead in the shot bag or purse, because it is so heavy. Sand is cheaper and easier. Us manly men don't worry about using a purse for metal work. Let me know if you need any advice once you are ready to start pounding again. If you want, I will try to make time to come down for a day and help out.

J P Stein
QUOTE(John Kelly @ Oct 29 2004, 02:41 PM)

I don't use lead in the shot bag or purse, because it is so heavy. Sand is cheaper and easier. Us manly men don't worry about using a purse for metal work. Let me know if you need any advice once you are ready to start pounding again. If you want, I will try to make time to come down for a day and help out.

FLARE PARTY !!!!!!!

PNW 914 Wonks-Southern chapter.
Details to follow. biggrin.gif
bondo
We all like to express ourselves with flare, but remember... 15 pieces of flare is the minimum required smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.