Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flasher relay. Is this one going to work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
The 1971 willow green needs a new flasher relay. The one I pulled is on the right. The one I received com PP is on the left. It doesn't look right. Anyone know if this is correct replacement?
914Sixer
Size has nothing to do with it. Do the posts match up? If so plug the new one in. Internals keep getting smaller and so does the case.
RFoulds
Kids what I ws thinking. Yes terminals match.
913B
What are your reason for replacing the relay ? I had a problem with the indicators not working on the center gauge. Bought a replacement exactly the same as the original a used one but didnt fix my problem. Please let me know if the PP one works. Thanks.
Big Len
Yes, it's correct if the posts match. Got my replacement from Pelican too and worked fine.
RFoulds
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 8 2014, 07:12 PM) *

Yes, it's correct if the posts match. Got my replacement from Pelican too and worked fine.

The posts match but it did NOT work. Up to 1972 was a different relay than 73-76. Can't find the right one.
914Sixer
Let me look and see if I have the old fat one. I just checked the PET and they show the same relay for -72 and 73-. Sorry, I just checked and no old ones
jim_hoyland
Got a slightly different question: Can a generic flasher be used ? I rode in a 914 that had sound-emitting flasher unit, was that a transplant from another car ?
McMark
'Normal' flashers won't work. the pins are different functions.
Spoke
There are some alternatives which can be purchased at your FLAPS if you have L & R dash indicators. If you have the early 914 with the L & R dash indicators, the EP36 available at Autozone and Advance Auto can be substituted.

The EP36 is LED-compatible and has pins 49 (12V power), 49a (turnsignal lights), and 31 (ground). It does not have the K/C2 pin for the dash indicator. This can be worked around by connecting the common wire from the L & R dash indicators to 31 (ground) using a piggyback disconnect wire connector shown below.

The EP36 will not work with the later (74+) single turnsignal dash indicator.

EP36 at Autozone

Click to view attachment

This is the piggyback disconnect wire connector available through Lowes online. I just ordered a box of 100 for those who will use LED front and rear turnsignals.

Click to view attachment
RFoulds
Great info. Thank you. I will try that
913B
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 9 2014, 08:27 PM) *

There are some alternatives which can be purchased at your FLAPS if you have L & R dash indicators. If you have the early 914 with the L & R dash indicators, the EP36 available at Autozone and Advance Auto can be substituted.

The EP36 is LED-compatible and has pins 49 (12V power), 49a (turnsignal lights), and 31 (ground). It does not have the K/C2 pin for the dash indicator. This can be worked around by connecting the common wire from the L & R dash indicators to 31 (ground) using a piggyback disconnect wire connector shown below.

The EP36 will not work with the later (74+) single turnsignal dash indicator.

EP36 at Autozone

Click to view attachment

This is the piggyback disconnect wire connector available through Lowes online. I just ordered a box of 100 for those who will use LED front and rear turnsignals.

Click to view attachment

Hi, is this a proven modification, sorry I am not being a smart ass about it.
Do you have this modified relay in your early 914 with the separate turn indicators ? If this really work I will go buy one.

Thanks
eitnurg
Generic flasher units may work, or not: but what they will likely have an issue with is the handbrake warning light. When they should flash this light on its own, they just buzz loudly.
If you're happy with that, then fine. I put up with it for a number of years. 'Suck it and see' seems to be the answer.
Spoke
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 10 2014, 12:55 AM)

Hi, is this a proven modification, sorry I am not being a smart ass about it.
Do you have this modified relay in your early 914 with the separate turn indicators ? If this really work I will go buy one.

Thanks

I have tested this on the bench, not in the car yet. On my '71 914 I already have the common wire from the L & R dash indicators hardwired to ground because the K pin on my flasher is non-functional; both L & R would flash at a lower intensity so I just removed the common connection from the K pin and connected to ground on the tach body.
Spoke
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Nov 10 2014, 05:40 AM) *

Generic flasher units may work, or not: but what they will likely have an issue with is the handbrake warning light. When they should flash this light on its own, they just buzz loudly.
If you're happy with that, then fine. I put up with it for a number of years. 'Suck it and see' seems to be the answer.

They buzz because of a safety feature to alert the operator that a bulb is out. The brake warning lamp is not a heavy enough load to trip the flasher. A flasher like the EP36 will flash with a very light load and will not buzz.
McMark
I have a bunch of EP36s and they're not a drop in replacement on any car I've tried them on.
Spoke
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 10 2014, 01:00 PM) *

I have a bunch of EP36s and they're not a drop in replacement on any car I've tried them on.

Are these the LED-compatible flashers?

Correct that EP36 is not drop in replacement. EP36 does not have the K pin although for early 914's with L & R dash indicators the common wire from the L & R indicators can be moved from K to 31 (ground).

EP36 is not a good substitute for the later cars with the single dash indicator.

I did not find any flashers which were drop in replacement (49, 49a, 31, K/C2) yet alone LED-compatible.
mikesmith
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Nov 10 2014, 02:40 AM) *

This is what I'd expect with an electromechanical flasher, or one that flashes 'fast' when presented with a high load impedance (with the parking brake on, the load on the flasher is just the master warning lamps, which looks a lot to a flasher like several blown indicator bulbs).

(At least, per the '72 diagram in front of me...)

= Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.