Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't start, need help from the gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw
Hey All!

I used to be a frequent contributor here, but then kids and some other life stuff happened. Held onto the 914 though, and over the past year dropped the engine and did a much needed clutch/transmission service.

Long story short, I can't get car to start again and after a lot of methodical investigating, would really appreciate some input. Here are some data points:

- 1973 1.7 stock with DJET that always functioned great until engine came out.

- Have discovered a bit of Frankenstein wiring. Fuel pump wired to coil/key on.

- Went thru entire ignition after inconsistent spark. New (needed) wires, plugs, cap/rotor/points. Strong spark now.

- Spray starting fluid in cylinders and it at least "pops". Original fuel injectors. When cranking I get ~.9 mV to each one at electrical plug. Have confirmed fuel to rails.

- older merged exhaust with muffler part and air cleaner off. Not sure if that's enough to stop it from starting or not?

In summary, I now feel good about spark but what am I missing on the fuel side? I suspect the injectors but I drove it to where it currently is.

Any help would really be appreciated. Trying to get the old girl back in good form!

Drew beer.gif
SirAndy
Check the ground block under the intake plenum. All white wires if i recall correctly.

Post some pics of the engine with the air cleaner removed ...
idea.gif
drewvw

Thanks Andy. I've gone thru those grounds but will give them another look. Other thought is MPS went bad somehow and now won't even start?

Will try to post some engine pics later...
Cap'n Krusty
Are you sure the 2 fuel lines are connected properly? Pressure regulator outlet hose, across engine to return ("Y") fitting at pump, right side rail to pressure ("D" on pump)?

The Cap'n
drewvw

Hmmm. The flow of fuel seemed to be the way it was before but I'll give that a more specific look as well.

The car was a rock for like 8 years, but I'm paying for it now! Thanks guys love the ideas.
DRPHIL914
had this issue recently . acted like i had a bad wire or jpoints, - 2 issues and i dont know why they both started at the same time - CHT was bad- this will make it not start for sure - and the d-jet has the f.i. injector trigger plate - if it goes it will run like crap , act like its missing on 2 or 1, and be bad enough to not start. if you have a spare one of these swap them out. as soon as i did it fired right up!! -
one last thought- is it possible your timing is off as well? i'd verify that - oh, and i went to the petronix type electronic points too.

let us know if you get it figured out.
r_towle
call me if you still have my number
otherwise pm me for my number.

rich
Dave_Darling
Double check all wire and hose connections. If, for instance, the CHT is unplugged the car will really not want to start.

On the fuel pump, "S" comes from the fuel filter (which comes from the fuel tank), "D" goes to the right-side fuel rail, and "R" goes to the Y fitting that goes to the fuel tank and also to the fuel pressure regulator.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.