Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I part this car out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
I bought this car this summer, even though I knew it was more project than I wanted. The PO had lost his job and really needed to sell it. I have since bought a couple cars in much better shape, and am trying to decide what do with it.

It is a '70 1.7L with a single carb, and it has a good title (Yes, I know it has 75/76 bumpers on it). I have a use for the engine and tranny. The car needs hell hole work, a passenger side motor mount, and new pans (although they aren't terrible and could probably be patched in a pinch). The rear trunk is in pretty good shape, and the front trunk is great. The car is missing a lot of little parts here and there, mostly related to the interior. But, overall, it isn't too bad.

Anyhow, it is time to either sell it or part it out. It is taking up space that I need to utilize. I hate to part any of them out. But, since it is a '70, with a good title, it particularly seems wrong. Thoughts?
914Sixer
I hate to tell you it is a 75 or 76 looking at the front bumper. After you have parted a few out you learn that there is only so many parts you can use or sell. Best to keep it whole and move it on to some one still lacking parts or wants a starter car. The cars are only going to get more valuable as time progresses.
EdwardBlume
Could you post the VIN, what is the build date?

AND

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
scotty b
Trust me. Steve has been around a few 914's before. shades.gif
Beeliner
There are just so many left, and if you part it out, there is one fewer....

Also, parting it out takes time... quite a bit of time...

I would feel better taking time to put two on the road sooner.

Sell it in one piece, and enjoy the others is my take on it.
stevegm
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 9 2014, 09:50 PM) *

AND

Someone put 75/76 bumpers on it. confused24.gif

Build date is 8/70; VIN: 4702911651
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 9 2014, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 9 2014, 09:50 PM) *

AND

Someone put 75/76 bumpers on it. confused24.gif

Build date is 8/70; VIN: 4702911651

Bummer. I'm looking for a 3/70 build date.
abnrdo
shades.gif

Lord knows I am a sucker for silver. Do you have more info on the car? How is the hellhole?
Chris914n6
1. can u post a pic of the front trunk where the bumper shocks should be?

2. if it is a solid car with just cancer under the battery tray, floor pan and rear truck then that is actually a good builder. In fact that describes my car lol
stevegm
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 10 2014, 02:18 AM) *

1. can u post a pic of the front trunk where the bumper shocks should be?

2. if it is a solid car with just cancer under the battery tray, floor pan and rear truck then that is actually a good builder. In fact that describes my car lol

Here is a picture. I am not sure if you meant from inside the trunk. I don't have one with me.

The issue is that I need the space. The car is right on the line between part it and save it. But, I don't have any room to store it. And it is more rust than I care to deal with. If somebody wanted to tackle it I'd sell it at a good price.
stevegm
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Nov 9 2014, 11:37 PM) *

shades.gif

Lord knows I am a sucker for silver. Do you have more info on the car? How is the hellhole?

I don't have a lot of info on the car. Appears to have the original engine and tranny in it. I have another use for the engine, but, I could easily let them stay with the car if someone wanted to buy it complete. The hell hole needs work (as do most). John Forbes at Black Forest put it on the lift, and said that to be a nice car it needed pans, hell hole work, and a right motor mount. He said it was certainly savable.
Johny Blackstain
From your description I'd try to get rid of it as a whole, not part it out. Sounds like a wonderful candidate for either a GT or 916 conversion. smile.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 10 2014, 10:29 AM) *

From your description I'd try to get rid of it as a whole, not part it out. Sounds like a wonderful candidate for either a GT or 916 conversion. smile.gif

Ya, I agree. Any idea on value?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 10 2014, 11:30 AM) *

Ya, I agree. Any idea on value?

I can't say that I do. East coast chassis seem to have a different value over west coast chassis, & the price of all of them seems to be going up & up. I came across a wreck, completely bent in half & the guy wanted $500 for it. Unfortunately he was such an ass I never got a chance to get near it to seriously check it out or record the VIN.
Chris914n6
That looks normal for an early car. It took some effort to get the rubber bumpers bolted on.

I wouldn't throw away a whole car for a few hundred in rust repair. List it here, craigslist, ebay as a parts car (less fees), and put a for sale sign on it as you never know who will drive by.
mepstein
There's at least a couple grand in rust repair, not hundred. Show us some pics of the bumper conversion. Just curious what the front truck looks like.

Edit. Never mind. Looks like they hung the front bumper on the car but didn't install the shocks.
stevegm
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2014, 06:55 AM) *

There's at least a couple grand in rust repair, not hundred. Show us some pics of the bumper conversion. Just curious what the front truck looks like.

Edit. Never mind. Looks like they hung the front bumper on the car but didn't install the shocks.

John at Black Forest Racing and I took a good look at it and if the rust work was hired out it would be $2,500 to $3,000 in rust repair. If someone did it themselves they could do it cheaper, not including their time. I hate to part it out. But I don't have space for it. I'll list it for sale and see if I can sell it complete.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 11 2014, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2014, 06:55 AM) *

John at Black Forest Racing and I took a good look at it and if the rust work was hired out it would be $2,500 to $3,000 in rust repair. If someone did it themselves they could do it cheaper, not including their time. I hate to part it out. But I don't have space for it. I'll list it for sale and see if I can sell it complete.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be saved. It looks like a typical east coast car. They all need work.
scotty b
paint it red. Mark will save it hide.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.