Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are all dash caps the same?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
The PO had glued some vinyl on top of the original dash, and when I pulled it off...

Click to view attachment

So I get to add a dash cap to my shopping list! Are they all made by one company and sold by different vendors, or is there a difference between suppliers?

Can anyone recommend the best deal for price+shipping?

Thanks!

Chester
barefoot
I have one i don't need
GaroldShaffer
Yikes!
altitude411
new_shocked.gif
Larmo63
There are at least two types. One has the same approximate grain as the original dash and the other one is more "peppered." Like plastic sandpaper.
r_towle
Was that car parked in the desert?
Chris914n6
Sand it down, fill the cracks with bondo, cover it with new vinyl.

...or get a better one.
EdwardBlume
Wow! Do you live in the desert? or in the Middle East? That is a classic photo!
clapeza
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 10 2014, 01:21 AM) *

Was that car parked in the desert?

One of the down sides of buying an Arizona car.

76-914
popcorn[1].gif I need one too. Glad to know there are two finishes to be aware of.
clapeza
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 9 2014, 11:38 PM) *

There are at least two types. One has the same approximate grain as the original dash and the other one is more "peppered." Like plastic sandpaper.

Any chance you can get a close-up photo of the textures?
altitude411
Here's the texture of the *American brand sold on flee bay for $ 130.00.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-76-PORSCHE-91...P-/111398631785
McMark
There are two types of dash tops.

Depends on if your dash frame has air vents or not. Early cars did not have vents on the ends and the late cars did. This changed the glove box location and therefore the little relief/recess in the dash top. Either top will work just fine on either dash frame, except for the glove box, which will only open 90% of the way if you have the wrong pieces.
Larmo63
The *American brand one pictured above looks better than the one I saw in person on a car here. It looked too "plasticky" but certainly better than a cracked dash. I didn't know there was a glove box fitment issue on some cars. Which years have the problem? I have a '73.
mepstein
I had a dash top on one car that looked oem until you were up close. Quick, easy and cheap way of making an old dash top look very presentable. I've seen them around $70-80
Larmo63
I actually wish they would make them with an ashtray delete. sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.