Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 leaking oil from the valve cover (cam tower?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott_in_nh
So my son's 944 (his first car as some of you might recall) has been a good reliable car, but a small leak rapidly advanced to leaking too much to drive the car.
It is coming from the rear passenger side of the valve cover.

But it seems that the valve cover is actually the cam tower and the cam has to be lifted to replace it? (I'm going on my son's research)

So is that right and is it not as bad as it sounds or?

The procedure he sent didn't sound too bad so long as you take care not to "lose the lifters" and get the timing belt back on in the correct position.

Thanks,

Scott
veekry9
Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GWBrsGTR2s

Hope that helps.
See the other posts he has for important re+re info.
Must know.
bandjoey
Wow. Is that easy. blink.gif hope it's an easy fix when u get into it.
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEJSBOABy0

Cap'n Krusty
It's a BIG job, and I wouldn't even think about it if I didn't have access to the belt tensioner tool. Lots of tricks to get the gasket to stay in place and make a good seal.

The Cap'n
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 10 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Lots of tricks to get the gasket to stay in place and make a good seal.

The Cap'n

Do tell!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Nov 10 2014, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 10 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Lots of tricks to get the gasket to stay in place and make a good seal.

The Cap'n

Do tell!

I'm glad I had an S, the valve cover was just a cover.
Mikey914
Check the back cam tower cap before you dig into it.
They are a know issue, and very easy fix.
As far as even a head gasket goes, I got to the place I could do my 951 in 6 hours, and set the belts by feel / sound.
That's one of the reasons I backed off the boost from 28lbs.

A no turbo should be much easier, ita just a big rabbit motor, with a set of balance shafts.
Do pay attention to the alignment marks as it's easy to get 180 deg off, and you'll really feel it.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 11 2014, 04:06 AM) *

As far as even a head gasket goes, I got to the place I could do my 951 in 6 hours, and set the belts by feel / sound.

A no turbo should be much easier, ita just a big rabbit motor, with a set of balance shafts.
Do pay attention to the alignment marks as it's easy to get 180 deg off, and you'll really feel it.

Thanks, we were hoping it was the back cover, but were not so lucky.
The car is outside, in NH, but he got a start on it last night, it will be warm again today and tomorrow - so hopefully we can finish it off by then.
stinkindiesel
Oil leaks on the exhaust manifold from the valve cover area was a real learning experience for me on my 1983 944. I spent a whole bunch of time trying to get this to seal before finally going to my local independent Porsche mechanic/racer. He diagnosed it as a warped cam tower, and fortunately had a used replacement handy. It took him almost 4 hours to do the job, meaning it would have taken me 4 weeks dry.gif

This was with 158K miles on the clock. I drove it another 6 months after that before I got married and sold my Porsche toys in favor of an old diesel Mercedes, but that's another story...

Gary
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 11 2014, 04:06 AM) *

thanks,
it is not the back cam tower cap (unfortunately)
Alignment marks are where they should be
How do we set the belt by feel/sound?

We marked the top of the tensioner excentric and noted the deflection of the belt at a key spot.
Everything is ready to come off but we will do that tonight.

Tell me how to deal with the lifters?

Scott
mikea100
Original tool costs a lot of $$ - Porsche Timing Belt Tension tool (P9201)
Cheaper alternatives:
1) Gates tool - http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91107-Belt-Ten...r/dp/B000MUTAGS
2) Krikit tool http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160801830647?lpid=82

On early 928 (before tension tool was available), tension was set by twisting timing belt between thumb and forefinger about 90 degrees.

Hope this helps.
mikea100
PS. You should also check out this site, they have a lot of good info.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

Mikey914
tension was set by twisting timing belt between thumb and forefinger about 90 degrees

This is how I did it. I started tighter, left the belt cover off and started it. If it wurred I loosened it til it didn't.

The belts on the car are very robust, and as long as you stick to the 30k recommendation you will have no problems. The cricket tool isn't a bad alternative, and it's cheep.
scott_in_nh
Thanks!
Those are very useful links - I am pretty sure my son has been using clarks as a reference so far.

They are not clearly calling out what the setting is for tension though.
They reference "2.7" for a used belt, but 2.7 what? Newton meters and kilograms come out to very low values (it seems)...
mikea100
You will notice that tension is surprisingly low.

Also - Important - you need to re-tension it after 500mi.

And while you at it, you may want to change water pump, if needed. That will take care of engine service and make your car bullet proof. Changing clutch is another story, especially on 951.
Mikey914
The water pump is a good point if it's an unknown. Most make it about 100k

And believe it or not the dealership has them rebuilt for a reasonable cost. If I recall it was about $120.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 12 2014, 12:23 PM) *

The water pump is a good point if it's an unknown. Most make it about 100k

And believe it or not the dealership has them rebuilt for a reasonable cost. If I recall it was about $120.

The PO rescues 944's, gets them roadworthy and flips them.
He had this one because it needed a water pump and the kid who owned it was going to part it.
So it has already been done smile.gif
Mikey914
Nice, it is more of a PITA.
scott_in_nh
So one of the "inner" Allen bolts fell off of the Allen socket inside the cam tower ( I guess he never played "operation").

How big of a deal is it? Is there any risk of it finding its way into the motor?

We are ready to take the tower off.

Also, we read some warnings about keeping the lifters in, but no one explains the risk - what is the issue and what is the trick?

EDIT: After watching the video above again it looked like we were safe so we went for it!
All set, apart and cleaned...
scott_in_nh
Edit: never mind smile.gif
r_towle
Binding.....
You will be opening valves as you tighten it down, so it will get harder and harder...

You might want to go feel it, back it all off a bit and do it ....you will feel it if it's just pushing valves open....May have caused him concern, but might know the feeling so it may just be that...dunno
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 13 2014, 11:58 PM) *

Binding.....
You will be opening valves as you tighten it down, so it will get harder and harder...

Thanks Rich, I wanted to edit before anybody posted because it is embarrassing - the kid put the car back in gear after we set it on TDC.
No time tonight to check everything again, but that would do it - lol !
r_towle
Yup, but he will never do it again for as long as he lives.....and he will always remember it, with you.....so it's all very cool.
r_towle
Just did a full front suspension lift, all new moving and steering parts and joint.....
Then tonight I mounted the new big ass tires.

Gotta put the plow back on now....

Just finished up tonight, and my son did a lot of the work....the one who I taught when he was really young....so it's very cool to see him do it for me now....

I had to deal with the 500 lb tires though...damn...
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 14 2014, 12:08 AM) *

Just did a full front suspension lift, all new moving and steering parts and joint.....
Then tonight I mounted the new big ass tires.

Gotta put the plow back on now....

Just finished up tonight, and my son did a lot of the work....the one who I taught when he was really young....so it's very cool to see him do it for me now....

I had to deal with the 500 lb tires though...damn...

Cool project Rich!
Yeah we will always remember, but it hasn't been much fun in the cold and the dark on a car he needs to get to work - it has been stressful (at least for me)!
I think we will finish on a good note though - wish us luck!
scott_in_nh
Success piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.