Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to kill rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GermermanCarGuy
Okay World. Not sure if this question had been posed yet, and if it was, it’s probably worth restating due to the many newer products on the market. So here goes. dry.gif

What are the better, best and best-est anti-rust treatment solutions/solvents available for preparation of our many smaller parts and components?

I’m looking to get educated on options other than the grinding wheel/rattle-can approach (i.e., soaking solutions and/or paint applications). Body’s going to media blasting but the other parts are mine to mess with.
Mike Bellis
A Crucible...

Melt it down. That will kill it for sure... happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 10 2014, 06:29 PM) *
A Crucible... Melt it down. That will kill it for sure... happy11.gif

Not true.

One of the problems VW was facing in the mid '70s was rust from within the brand new panels after they switched to using recycled steel.

Apparently, traces of rust can survive the melt down.
shades.gif
altitude411
Holy water (water w/a hole in it) nogetwet.com FERG.gif
914werke
There is reason it has the nickname "Cancer" ~
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TnNEBy3tI

Amazing!
Jett
Try evapo rust, Eco friendly and works

QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Nov 10 2014, 06:18 PM) *

Okay World. Not sure if this question had been posed yet, and if it was, it’s probably worth restating due to the many newer products on the market. So here goes. dry.gif

What are the better, best and best-est anti-rust treatment solutions/solvents available for preparation of our many smaller parts and components?

I’m looking to get educated on options other than the grinding wheel/rattle-can approach (i.e., soaking solutions and/or paint applications). Body’s going to media blasting but the other parts are mine to mess with.

r_towle
Phosphoric acid
veekry9
http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Virtually identical to Cling-Surface product from the '70s.
No fuss,painless.
veekry9
http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

A thorough explanation.

Click to view attachment
GermermanCarGuy
Exactly what I needed to learn. Leaning towards the evapo-rust product for parts to be painted. Sounds like I can use it in my garage without gaseous byproducts. Once done, reuse or dispose. Either way, the dogs won't be hurt.

Really like the electrolysis process for the unpainted, bare metal parts (i.e., hinges, springs, linkages, etc.). After cleaning, home plating sound like the next logical step. Just might make an experiment out if it. stirthepot.gif

Okay, so once treated, the next question is "How do you keep rust away?" I understand metal etching primers like POR 15 and Rust-Oleum are popular choices, and adhesion sealer applied prior to undercoating or "Rhino" lining. Are these the only options? idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Nov 11 2014, 09:00 AM) *
Okay, so once treated, the next question is "How do you keep rust away?" I understand metal etching primers like POR 15 and Rust-Oleum are popular choices, and adhesion sealer applied prior to undercoating or "Rhino" lining. Are these the only options? idea.gif

The problem with any of the surface linings is that when they crack (not if, but when) they will trap moisture underneath and actually promote rust.

I can't tell you how many times i have poked right through what looked like solid metal covered in undercoating, POR15 or rhino lining ...
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.