Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby headlight and foglight wiring.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
I have had a small draw off the battery for some time now. My head lights go down and shut off when I turn off the ignition, even if I have the light switch turned on.
It seems like it helps if I turn off the head lights before turning off the ignition.

I never understood what the diodes were for in the Suby wiring?
I combined the head light and fog light diagrams as they are wired to my 914.
I will have to dig under the dash. I think one of these diodes were not used.
Maybe one of you electrical guys can give me a better understanding if this could be wired better.

Tom
Seem to be used as steering diodes to allow the fog light switch to light up the low beams while not allowing use of the low beams to also light up the fog lamps.
Do your headlights work like this: Headlights on low beam, fogs not on unless fog light switch is on and fogs on then low beams on also? Especially for the passing function.
When tracing power thru a schematic, you may see it as power flowing thru a diode in the direction of the diode arrow, but not against it. That is not how a diode works exactly, but is good enough to explain in an electrical schematic.
Tom
ruby914
QUOTE(Tom @ Nov 11 2014, 12:49 PM) *

Seem to be used as steering diodes to allow the fog light switch to light up the low beams while not allowing use of the low beams to also light up the fog lamps.
Do your headlights work like this: Headlights on low beam, fogs not on unless fog light switch is on and fogs on then low beams on also? Especially for the passing function.
When tracing power thru a schematic, you may see it as power flowing thru a diode in the direction of the diode arrow, but not against it. That is not how a diode works exactly, but is good enough to explain in an electrical schematic.
Tom

Yes Tom, That is how the fog lights function.
I got lucky and didn't turn off the headlight switch last night.
Fogs and low beam switches on.
One thing I notice is the high beam relay is warm. With the ignition off, I think this should not be the case.

Here are the unmolested Suby drawings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.