Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not 914 content, but thanks go out to 914rubber!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
A couple weeks ago, some of the pixels stopped lighting up on the climate control screen on my 996. For example, instead of displaying "64" for the temperature, it displayed "E4."

Then, the snowflake disappeared for the AC indicator. The AC still worked, but when I turned it on, I didn't get the snowflake icon on the screen. It was hard to easily tell if it was on or off unless I waited to see if the air got colder.

Well, it turns out that 914rubber.com sells a kit to replace the LCD screen! Why would a small business catering to 914s sell such a part? I have no idea.

Anyway, I ordered the kit, and they had it to me in 3 days. Then, they sent me an email with detailed instructions. Basically, you remove the climate control unit, disassemble it, remove the old LCD screen, put in the new one, and reassemble.

It took me an hour because I was being very careful. I'm sure I could do it in 20 minutes the second time (hopefully there won't be a second time).

Works perfectly!!! If I had taken it to a shop, they would have charged me in the range of $700 to install a new climate control system. The kit from 914rubber was $60 plus about $7.50 for shipping.

Note in the first picture, the missing pixels and missing snow flake icon for the air conditioning.

The kit came with a small light bulb, but no mention of it in the instructions. Anyone know what it's for?

Thanks, 914Rubber-Mark!!!!!
914Sixer
Cool kit ! You are right, it would have cost you a small fortune at the dealer. They do not sell parts, they sell assemblies.
Mikey914
I also make the 944 clock LCD kit.

The extra bulb was for one of the 944 kits. My assistant decided you needed one for some reason.
BeatNavy
And now you have your snowflake back rolleyes.gif

Seriously, as much money as we spend on our cars/hobbies, it's always satisfying when we can actually save money doing something right (with good vendor help). This is one case where you can "add up the receipt" (just don't look at the others).

Nice.
Cuda911
Ah, the bulb's for a 944... thanks! Now I can stop my Easter egg hunt looking everywhere to see where that bulb might fit!!

That was probably the best set of instructions I have ever received with any product, ever. Great photos, etc. Why more companies don't put more effort into their instructions has always mystified me.

Mark, I made a similar post on Rennlist, and several guys have already said that they would be ordering these kits from you. Thanks again!

(Oh, also, I thought that was very classy of you to even include a set of disposable gloves and an alcohol pad in your kit. Two less things for me to have to hunt around the house for when I went to do the install.)
Wdunster
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 12 2014, 11:09 AM) *

I also make the 944 clock LCD kit.

The extra bulb was for one of the 944 kits. My assistant decided you needed one for some reason.

Any progress on the 996 headlamp seals?
Mikey914
Actually just need to put together the cash for the tooling as they look like about 6k for left and right. Unless I can find a better way to make them. That's where I'm stuck. I really don't want to throw the cash at it mainly because I don't have it.
-Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.