Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO Voltmeter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Did some testing today and found the VDO voltmeter ( half gauge style like the 911 gauge )reads 1.5 low.

Can the needle be adjusted ?
914Sixer
Probably have to go for calibration to one of the shops
bdstone914
I would pull the gauge and test it with short leads to battery to make sure it is not a problem with any of the wiring. Then testcthe vattery with a good multimeter.
Is it reading too high or too low?
If too high you might be able to put a resistor inline to drop the reading.
jim_hoyland
It reads about 1.5 v low. I,lol try your suggestion
Mike Bellis
You could easily be dropping 1.5V through the wiring and chassis ground since these are 40 years old and full of corrosion.
v82go
Not sure about yours, but the 914 volt meters that came in the factory console do

have a internal adjustable pot to calibrate them. You can access this by removing the

case.
76-914
Mike makes a good point. When I built "Kugel" I ran a dedicated line for the voltmeter to rid it of lies. Glad I did that!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 13 2014, 07:53 AM) *

Mike makes a good point. When I built "Kugel" I ran a dedicated line for the voltmeter to rid it of lies. Glad I did that!

That did the trick ! Ran a wire from the gauge to the battery, reads perfect. I wired a relay right behind the gauge so the Voltmeter won't remain on when the ignition is off.
Thank'so for the suggestions... smile.gif
McMark
thumb3d.gif And now you won't get a 'voltage drop' when the lights, heater fan, and blinkers are on.
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 13 2014, 02:37 PM) *

thumb3d.gif And now you won't get a 'voltage drop' when the lights, heater fan, and blinkers are on.

agree.gif Every newbie will ask that question sooner or later. I did. rolleyes.gif Or the question re: one side of the car's parking lites staying on??? I feel like saying, "Here's your (newbie) Sign!
av-943.gif lol-2.gif
larryM
X@

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 12 2014, 08:05 PM) *

You could easily be dropping 1.5V through the wiring and chassis ground since these are 40 years old and full of corrosion.

just make a mental note of the difference and live with it

Spoke
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 13 2014, 03:52 PM) *

Ran a wire from the gauge to the battery, reads perfect. I wired a relay right behind the gauge so the Voltmeter won't remain on when the ignition is off.

Did you include a fuse in line with the battery? If not the wire will become the fuse.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 14 2014, 04:47 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 13 2014, 03:52 PM) *

Ran a wire from the gauge to the battery, reads perfect. I wired a relay right behind the gauge so the Voltmeter won't remain on when the ignition is off.

Did you include a fuse in line with the battery? If not the wire will become the fuse.

Will do ! Thanks. smile.gif
siverson
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 13 2014, 03:37 PM) *

i like those quirks
worn
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 12 2014, 07:55 PM) *

It reads about 1.5 v low. I,lol try your suggestion

The new ones have an adjustment screw on the side at the threads for the attachment ring. Glad you fixed yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.