Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB clean 2.0 (4 cylinder) car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
era vulgaris
I'm looking for a clean 2.0 car, preferably with the appearance group 3-gauge center console and d-jet. (Although I'd consider a carb'd car if it's cool enough).

- no cancerous rot or bubbling
- no sagging cars
- prefer pre-75, but would be into a 75/76 if it has backdated bumpers
- prefer bright colors (olympic blue or laguna blue are top choice. Not into red, black, or silver.)
- prefer a clean, well kept interior
- I'm open to flared or straight fender cars
- must have heat exchangers (no headers) because I drive year round and need heat

As far as price, I can go up to mid teens but it depends on condition.

For cars outside of the NC/SC/VA area, I will ask to have a PPI done.
stevegm
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 14 2014, 03:06 PM) *

I'm looking for a clean 2.0 car, preferably with the appearance group 3-gauge center console and d-jet. (Although I'd consider a carb'd car if it's cool enough).

- no sagging cars
- prefer bright colors (olympic blue or laguna blue are top choice. Not into red, black, or silver.)
- must have heat exchangers (no headers) because I drive year round and need heat

The Yellow 75 at Black Forest is the cleanest I have seen in this part of the country in a while. I have a clean '72. But, it is silver (you said no silver), and I am thinking I will keep that one anyway. I will keep my eye out for one, though.
era vulgaris
Thanks man!

Yeah, I saw that car, but I just don't think I can live with those giant bumpers.

I realize that I'm probably not going to find what I want in this part of the country, so I'm open to shipping a car as long as I can have an experienced-with-914's shop do a PPI.
ericoneal
this one is for sale near me, but i have never seen it in person:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4758604526.html
stevegm
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 14 2014, 06:34 PM) *

Thanks man!

Yeah, I saw that car, but I just don't think I can live with those giant bumpers.

I realize that I'm probably not going to find what I want in this part of the country, so I'm open to shipping a car as long as I can have an experienced-with-914's shop do a PPI.

Ya. The bumpers don't bother me on the 75. Unless you are racing (i.e., weight), I think they are fine. Particularly when you consider that Porsche presumably worked out a lot of little improvements in the later years. From a drivability standpoint, the 75/76 have been some of the best cars I have driven. For me, the bumpers are an easy tradeoff for the other benefits. I can't imagine buying a car in that price-range site unseen. A PPI on a car this old and this unique is largely dependent on the subjectiveness of whoever is doing the PPI. What he/she might consider "normal," and therefore a non-issue, is completely dependent on the other cars they have inspected. A plane ticket is a lot cheaper than fixing surprises. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW - I didn't think I would like silver either. But, once I got my '72 home and played with it a little, the color has really grown on me. Very classic color for a Porsche.

I will keep my eyes open for you.
stevegm
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 14 2014, 07:42 PM) *

this one is for sale near me, but i have never seen it in person:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4758604526.html

Nice looking car, at a good price. Assuming it is rust-free. Or even almost rust-free. But, . . . . we all know how that goes. Shame they changed the original color of the car.
eman 928
Here is one that might fit the bill. In Hickory, NC, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Targa-...=US_Cars_Trucks
era vulgaris
Yeah I've seen that one. The asking price on their website is $18,900. Seems pretty high for a car that doesn't have chrome bumpers, is missing the passenger sun visor, has a tear in the driver's seat, has door cards that are cut, heat exchangers that look questionable, and non-original wheels. The CV boots aren't installed correctly, and the trans looks incredibly oily.
I'm skeptical that this car was "restored from the ground up".

Not saying I wouldn't buy it. I absolutely would! But it's a $10-$12K car if it's at 101,000 miles. If it's had an engine rebuild maybe $12-$14K.

They've had this car for over a year and listed it several times on ebay and it's never met its reserve. Knowing dealerships, I think they think it's worth more than it is.
I have contacted them a couple times before about the car and never received a reply. I'll try them again on monday and see if I get a reply.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 15 2014, 08:34 AM) *

Ya. The bumpers don't bother me on the 75. Unless you are racing (i.e., weight), I think they are fine. Particularly when you consider that Porsche presumably worked out a lot of little improvements in the later years. From a drivability standpoint, the 75/76 have been some of the best cars I have driven. For me, the bumpers are an easy tradeoff for the other benefits. I can't imagine buying a car in that price-range site unseen. A PPI on a car this old and this unique is largely dependent on the subjectiveness of whoever is doing the PPI. What he/she might consider "normal," and therefore a non-issue, is completely dependent on the other cars they have inspected. A plane ticket is a lot cheaper than fixing surprises. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW - I didn't think I would like silver either. But, once I got my '72 home and played with it a little, the color has really grown on me. Very classic color for a Porsche.

I will keep my eyes open for you.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. The driving experience is the most important thing. One of my faults as a human (and I do have a few!), and probably why I work in a design field, is that things I perceive as aesthetic faults really get under my skin. And to me the 75/76 bumpers are one, same as with 74-76 BMW 2002's, post-74 MGB's, etc. I couldn't live with it. It's irrational, I know.

But I appreciate you keeping an eye out! beerchug.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(eman 928 @ Nov 15 2014, 02:50 PM) *

Here is one that might fit the bill. In Hickory, NC, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Targa-...=US_Cars_Trucks

They finally actually answered my inquiry. The reserve is $18,900, same as their asking price. Whoever answered my email was a jerk. Didn't answer any of my questions or concerns about the car, just basically said 'this is what we will take for the car'. Fuck dealerships.
mepstein
Contact craig at camp914. He sells some nice cars, reasonable prices and one of the few people I would buy from without seeing the car in person.
RFoulds
Its a 1.7, but my Willow Green 1971 is for sale. Fits all your criteria except 2.0.

era vulgaris
It's a beautiful car. But aside from the displacement, it also unfortunately doesn't fit my price criteria. With shipping from the west coast i'll be in close to $20K. Mid teens is all I can spend...as in exactly halfway between 10 and 20 biggrin.gif
steuspeed
1973 2.0 $7000.00

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4763050079.html
scotty b
a match made in heaven rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=245663
era vulgaris
Thanks, Scotty! beerchug.gif
lostreasure
Try craigslist- just dont send any $$ until you verify ownership Good luck
brendapenney71@gmail.com
my car checks off most of your boxes, heater is missing, but otherwise t may meet your needs.
I just listed it in the classified

- no sagging cars

Click to view attachment
era vulgaris
Yup, this is Dustin! wink.gif

QUOTE(brendapenney71@gmail.com @ Nov 21 2014, 04:15 PM) *

my car checks off most of your boxes, heater is missing, but otherwise t may meet your needs.
I just listed it in the classified

- no sagging cars

Click to view attachment

pikespeed

- no sagging cars

mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 20 2014, 01:22 PM) *

No working heat and the photos below say $8-10k car to me.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 23 2014, 06:47 PM) *

It's obviously not a $15K car. I've seen the same issues in the photos you've seen: painted and broken cowl seals, both trunks and engine bay not body color, painted windshield trim, painted triangle window trim, a lot of orange peel in the paint, no heat, what looks like a garden hose as one of the rain tray drain tubes, missing relay board cover, etc. But I'm going to look at it tomorrow, just to see it in person.
Also, PM sent.
mepstein
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 23 2014, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 23 2014, 06:47 PM) *

It's obviously not a $15K car. I've seen the same issues in the photos you've seen: painted and broken cowl seals, both trunks and engine bay not body color, painted windshield trim, painted triangle window trim, a lot of orange peel in the paint, no heat, what looks like a garden hose as one of the rain tray drain tubes, missing relay board cover, etc. But I'm going to look at it tomorrow, just to see it in person.
Also, PM sent.

Ok, you sold me on $6k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.