Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally back from the body shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
Bought this a year ago and the body was decent but basically ratted out as you can see from the couple of before pics. I'm not one to take pics and post my progress but it's all new rubber. Entirely new cooling system, Near rear seat back and vinyl, 7" fuchs and new Michlen Pilots, new carpet, mods included moving the upright gauge cluster to the dash. New A/C under dash. Has a heater with it. New front glass and a new metallic silver paint job. Some rust cut out and new metal (floors). To many parts to actually list.... it was extensive.

Those are non modified fenders.... I wanted a stock looking 914 with the 5 bolt upgrade and power. A true wolf in sheep's clothing. It runs so cool. I was in over 100 degree heat a month or so ago and it never got over 210 and that was in town stop and go. Today it never got over 170. I think it's because of the additional hole in the from trunk floor as well as the sides. It's so much fun..... I can't stand it.

For those who might asked.... I cut my swing arms 3/4" to allow for those 7" wheels/tires in the back. The front was non-issue.

Dave

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

mikesmith
Very nice!
JRust
Looks great man! Good job aktion035.gif
Downerman
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Nov 15 2014, 02:31 PM) *

Very nice!

Thanks... I suck at posting pics...... have no clue why the older posts doubled and tripled.

Dave
Hank914
I like it. Keep posting more pics! (Preferably new ones, LOL!)

No, seriously, more pics. Since you say Renegade, is that a SBC?

Very since sleeper indeed.
Downerman
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Nov 15 2014, 03:03 PM) *

I like it. Keep posting more pics! (Preferably new ones, LOL!)

No, seriously, more pics. Since you say Renegade, is that a SBC?

Very since sleeper indeed.

Yes indeed Hank. It's a ZZR crate motor with a slightly heavier cam. Who really knows but I will safely say 400 hp and near same torque. Had a Holley 750 double pumper and I could never get it to run well. This is a 650 Edelbrock and it was almost a bolt and go.... runs so much better. Truly right foot management is paramount and driving is very different than my old 1.7 and my 914/6 of yesterday. I'm learning to drive it correctly.

Dave
Cairo94507
That looks very nice. Please post some detailed pictures of the entire car. I would like to see the 3/4" cut/trim on the swing arms and how the AC system is installed. Please consider adding one of the late rear valances trimmed to accept your tailpipes. These cars, in my humble opinion, need a rear valance to look finished. Nice car- congratulations.
green914
Looking Good! shades.gif agree.gif
EdwardBlume
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
KELTY360
Definitely a snake in the grass....a very good looking snake in the grass. biggrin.gif

Watch out for that big bundle of keys hanging from your ignition switch. The pendulum effect of that weight can cause premature wear and switch failure. I'm pretty sure with 400hp you can get those swinging pretty good. shades.gif
Downerman
Thanks again guys and points well taken. It's my first cut so to speak. I plan on re-doing the swing arm mods again because I was originally planning on using a different caliper setup that really became more complex as I tried to execute. Re-clocked the hubs when we welded them up and now that I will be using the 911 ebrake system, well they don't need to be clocked. A real pain to bleed the brakes.... but they do work fine laying horizontal. Already have a new pair of swing arms from Parts Heaven (Big Al) and will start in on that in a few months.

I would agree that the rear needs some help but then again so does the front. My bumper-etts left some holes that when filled, well they were less than perfect. The price of a new front bumper though, has me putting that off for a while. You guys know how it is...... I will keep upgrading things as I can. I'm on a limited budget these days so I will just drive it and improve things as I go.

Part of the problem on these pics is my camera is old and sucks. Seriously thinking about buying a new one. I know there cheap these days. Any suggestions on a good quality inexpensive camera?

Dave
Downerman
QUOTE(Downerman @ Nov 16 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Thanks again guys and points well taken. It's my first cut so to speak. I plan on re-doing the swing arm mods again because I was originally planning on using a different caliper setup that really became more complex as I tried to execute. Re-clocked the hubs when we welded them up and now that I will be using the 911 ebrake system, well they don't need to be clocked. A real pain to bleed the brakes.... but they do work fine laying horizontal. Already have a new pair of swing arms from Parts Heaven (Big Al) and will start in on that in a few months.

I would agree that the rear needs some help but then again so does the front. My bumper-etts left some holes that when filled, well they were less than perfect. The price of a new front bumper though, has me putting that off for a while. You guys know how it is...... I will keep upgrading things as I can. I'm on a limited budget these days so I will just drive it and improve things as I go.

Part of the problem on these pics is my camera is old and sucks. Seriously thinking about buying a new one. I know there cheap these days. Any suggestions on a good quality inexpensive camera?

Dave

Thanks to the person who cleaned these pics up. Had a real mess with my duplicates.

Dave
bigkensteele
Great looking car! Execution looks top notch! smilie_pokal.gif

There are times when I really wish that I could justify painting my car silver. I love silver on most cars, but I really love it on a 914. Perhaps I can justify buying another one so I can paint it silver. idea.gif
rgalla9146
Beautiful car.
Want to sell the rear bumper ?
I have the chrome plug and the 1970 car to attach it to.
euro911
QUOTE(Downerman @ Nov 16 2014, 09:55 AM) *

Dave
I've been happy with the Panasonic LUMIX point 'n shoot cameras. They have a few nice models for under $150 - recently bought a couple of them from Adorama.

Click here

Nice conversion. I'm partial to silver on a 914 as well thumb3d.gif
drive-ability
Looking good,
Nice to see another V8 car being cared for nicely. beer.gif
lonewolfe
Ok, I finally get to see pictures of your car! What a beauty it is too! Very nice work!
matthepcat
Downerman, what body shop did you use?
Downerman
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Nov 18 2014, 07:45 AM) *

Downerman, what body shop did you use?

South County Auto Body in King City. As much as I like the guy who owns the place, he is awful at estimating and sticking to time-lines. Insurance claims are his bread and butter and my car took way longer than he told me. It was not a real expensive paint job at 5K (my other guy who painted my Pantera quoted me 10K) but that would have been prefect. Basically I'm thrilled with the outcome as it's a driver and will look very nice for years to come. Any more questions just ask.

Dave
computers4kids
CA greetings...nice car. They sure can be a lot of fun to drive. I think we could be twins. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I just met Dave today and we chatted 914's for a bit. It was amazing how similar our past car ownership was.

Your car looks very nice and I love the wolf in sheep clothing theme. I would love to go for a ride in that beast one of these days. Best wishes. Michael
Downerman
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 1 2014, 01:47 PM) *

I just met Dave today and we chatted 914's for a bit. It was amazing how similar our past car ownership was.

Your car looks very nice and I love the wolf in sheep clothing theme. I would love to go for a ride in that beast one of these days. Best wishes. Michael

Thanks Michael, it was a pleasure. I'll keep an eye out for a bay area event maybe I can drive up to.

Thanks for working with me on that rear valence.

Dave
Cairo94507
My pleasure. Glad it is going on a great looking sleeper. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.