Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, for when the time comes to shipping an engine and trans, as far as what outfit to use, to be the most cost effective?
mepstein
I've have good luck with freightquote.com
Harpo
I used freight quote but I believe they over charged me on the weight of the engine

David
EdwardBlume
I shipped an engine secured on a pallet through Dominion Freight but ole Don had a coupon.
mepstein
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 16 2014, 08:20 AM) *

I used freight quote but I believe they over charged me on the weight of the engine

David

A 2.0 four and trans weighs 325.
Harpo
Yes precisely my point. They insisted that it weighed 550 lbs
carr914
I use a Local Freight Forwarder - he picks up at my house, crates & ships! I'm shipping a 911 Engine to England, it is around $800
Brian_Boss
You can usually save quite a bit by dropping off and/or picking up at the freight company depot. If you have a full size pickup, it's not to hard to wrestle up or down from the dock.

I had a couple good experiences with Con-way.
mepstein
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 16 2014, 11:25 AM) *

Yes precisely my point. They insisted that it weighed 550 lbs

If it did. I couldn't have picked one up with my son helping me. Fully dressed motor- 250, trans -75. Even if you add in a 30lb pallet...
My 3.2 engine weighs 450.
partwerks
This would be for shipping the Subie, WRX, 2.0, and trans, and wiring harness, Renn shifter. Still waiting for him to remove the wiring harness and computer before I put it up on the auction block.

Not exactly sure what the engine weighs?

The trans was gone through by the gentleman on the club here back in March of 2012 and probably has no more than 3,000 miles on it, since then.

Your gear box has nothing wrong with it, it is quite good and has a 904 shaft with a C second gear and an LSD. Your box is very special. It does have the billet plate in it.

Currently:
After our discussion I had a clear idea of what you wanted and needed. I did some figuring and came up with the following gearing, for your records, C-N-Z-fH. This setup will move all the gears higher for higher top speeds and lower RPM.

H gear
Z gear
N gear
1st gear lock out

Mike Bellis
I had TNT ship a Cayman 6 speed from England to SF for $275. It got here in 4 days. smile.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 16 2014, 04:22 PM) *

I had TNT ship a Cayman 6 speed from England to SF for $275. It got here in 4 days. smile.gif

I know Conway is about 30 miles from there, and so might be a good candidate for picking up in a small town?

What about an outfit like this: http://www.freightcenter.com/engine%20shipping.aspx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.