Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you have a concourse car with carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
There is a 71 914 on Ebay for sale. Nice teener but it has carbs.

The ad says it -Could easily be concourse car.

Is this true? I thought originality was the key for a concourse car.

Can someone enlighten me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Video-...=US_Cars_Trucks
r_towle
A concour is just a car show with awards.
There are many classes in any car show, originality is just one of them.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 15 2014, 10:46 PM) *

A concour is just a car show with awards.
There are many classes in any car show, originality is just one of them.

Thank you! I learned something today! biggrin.gif
larryM
depends entirely on the club or event one is competing in -

- we car guys tend to get irrationally obsessed with "originality" when we never intend nor have an opportunity to compete where it is actually a factor

if your concern is "value" - forget about it - "100 point" PCA Parade Concours is the only place it might possibly count if you want to sell the car at Mecum, et al for more than you "invested' in the eBay purchase - beerchug.gif

for example - [/b]PCA has multiple classes AND [b]PCA regions have different rules than PCA Parade

example - Zone 7 Concours Rules and Classification Zone 7 Concours rules
How to Prepare your car.
Judge Forms
Wash and Shine Master Score Sheet
Street Master Score Sheet
Competition Special Interest Master Score Sheet
Preservation Unrestored Master Score Sheet
Full Concours Master Score Sheet
Restoration Master Score Sheet
Concours Notes for the Judges July 2013 - read these carefully

Amelia Island or or Pebble Beach have entirely different rules, first.gif

as do hundreds of local club or foundation events depending on where you want to compete - and they are quite subjective in most cases - icon8.gif

"originality" is only a factor in certain classes, - i.e.:
- Preservation Unrestored
- Full Concours
- Restoration smilie_pokal.gif

and totally irrelevant in others, i.e.:
Wash and Shine
Street
Competition Special Interest biggrin.gif

- PCA PARADE - is once a year, and then only if you can afford the entry fees and hotels & the cost of getting to, and being there, for a week or more - my experience at Monterey 2014 was that serious concours folks were there for 2 weeks, many of the cars arrived in contained trailers; and some had their seats upside down in the parking lot, cleaning 'em underneath with toothbrushes 3 days before the show

w00t.gif

Tom_T
Our Zone 8 PCA concours rules for all classes including original "preservation class" & restoration class & full concours do not judge on originality.

I've also assisted your Zone's Peachtree Region PCA on judging full concours a few years back & know that they do not, & I'm pretty sure that Zone 7 in NoCal does the same (LarryM - check your concours rules for that).

As noted above, the only level in PCA where originality can come into play - but not necessarily - is for the originality/preservation & restoration classes at the nation Parade concours - & then only in tie breaking or loss of a few points or tenths off the perfect 100 score.

Other car clubs do consider originality even at the local level, such as AACA (sp?) etc.

The PCA concours are generally a preparation, detailing & cleaning type of contest - although we did put a 914 into Special category once due to a /4 to /6 engine conversion on a 74, since it wasn't an original 6 & was set-up for track. The purpose there in Special is usually to not penalize a tracked car for condition issues not present on most street & garage queen types.

That said, I think the evil-bay seller is just trying to build a cachet about how great his car is to get a better price, & many a false or pufed claim can be found on the evil-bay anyway! biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
I took my 993 to a concours once. It was a pristine low mileage special order polar silver 993..... I got my ass kicked and damn near came in last place. This was AFTER cleaning it in ways I would never even dream. The worst part was the inspection where some pregnant lady with a clip board talked smack while marking me down. headbang.gif

Great times though! av-943.gif

Kidding aside, it gave me a great appreciation for the concours guys... they pour serious time and love into showing their cars!

Not sure about this one though, perhaps they are seeing the sunny side of things...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.