Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm surrounded!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Parked here after lunch. Came back at 4 to go home and found this. I'm in the middle

IPB Image

PanelBilly
Good friends hang together
wndsnd
I know what it is like.

I went to a local fall fair, and found this when I came back.

Click to view attachment

I hope they behaved. Who knows what kind of bastard spawn there would be. happy11.gif

John
era vulgaris
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 16 2014, 04:06 PM) *

I hope they behaved. Who knows what kind of bastard spawn there would be. happy11.gif

John

Whatever they may have spawned, it would've had a VW engine considering that's a CMC speedster replica.
wndsnd

Which one is the REAL PORSCHE?
r_towle
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 16 2014, 04:48 PM) *

John

Whatever they may have spawned, it would've had a VW engine considering that's a CMC speedster replica.

How do you know that?
Tom_T
Hey Curt .... long time, no talk & eat!

My apologies, as every time I've been into TUL it's been super busy & didn't have time to get together for a visit.

I haven't forgot though, & usually set aside a time for us to get together, which then gets eaten up by other business before I can call or text. dry.gif

I believe it's my turn to buy BBQ this time ... or maybe Ron's 50:50 chili burger!? chowtime.gif

Next trip may be in the April-ish time frame I think.

Take Care!
Tom
///////
balljoint
Cool.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 16 2014, 05:58 PM) *

How do you know that?

Before stumbling into the world of 914's I was seriously looking at getting a 356 speedster replica. There are several manufacturers: CMC, Fiberfab, Thunder Ranch, Intermecannica, Beck, JPS, and Vintage Speedsters are probably the best well known.

CMC, Fiberfab, and Thunder Ranch are all arguably the same company - i.e. the same company bought, sold, and renamed. These are the companies that sold primarily kits for you to build at home. They are no longer in business and new kits from them are unavailable. So these are mostly all old builds from the 80's and 90's. These are the speedsters you see selling in the +/-$15K range when done well. A lot of them are disasters and you want to stay away from them. But if the guy building it in his garage knew what he was doing, they can be good cars. They're instantly recognizable by the incorrect gauge clusters, and the very cushy looking dash pad. However, sometimes you'll see them with 914 gauges or even the correct 356 gauges if the builder didn't use the supplied gauges that came with the kit (the ones you see in the above pic - see the 4 main black gauges behind the wheel, 2 big and 2 small? A real 356 has 3 big VDO gauges behind the wheel). If you're familiar with the aesthetic details of a 356, the CMC/Fiberfab/Thunder Ranch cars are instantly recognizable because so many details are really waaaaaay off.

Beck, Intermeccanica, JPS, and Vintage Speedsters are the more high end replicas. These are mostly built and sold as turn-key cars by the respective companies. These are the ones you see selling for between $20K and up into the $60K's or higher depending on options. These cars use the correct 3-gauge setup with replica VDO gauges, and are much more difficult to distinguish from an actual 356 (although the easy way is to look at the placement of the speedometer. Real 356's have it on the right, and the replicas have it on the left because they use the Beetle speedo cable and it won't reach to the right side of the gauge cluster. Although to make it more confusing, this isn't true for some of the more custom replicas.). However they still mostly use type 1 VW engines, but usually are optioned with 1915cc or 2110cc engines, 4 wheel disk brakes, etc etc. Although Intermeccanica and Beck will build cars with water cooled Subi engines, even 911 engines upon request, but that's when they get really pricey.

Spend enough time looking at these different 356 replica brands, and they become easy to tell apart. Check out www.speedsterowners.com for all the info you'll ever need.
Jon H.
agree.gif Yeah what he said!

biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2014, 06:11 PM) *

Hey Curt .... long time, no talk & eat!

My apologies, as every time I've been into TUL it's been super busy & didn't have time to get together for a visit.

I haven't forgot though, & usually set aside a time for us to get together, which then gets eaten up by other business before I can call or text. dry.gif

I believe it's my turn to buy BBQ this time ... or maybe Ron's 50:50 chili burger!? chowtime.gif

Take Care!
Tom
///////

Hey Tom, good to hear from you. I was so sick the last year I wouldn't have been very good company if I could have attended at all. Surgery went well so my diet is now unrestricted. Bbq is definitely back on the list.
veekry9

I know what it is like.

I went to a local fall fair, and found this when I came back.

Click to view attachment

John

It would be Purple and 8 cylinder,Teutonic.
A Tatra 4.4L DOHC V8,aircooled.
Real fast,a halfbreed with a rumble.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 17 2014, 03:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2014, 06:11 PM) *

Take Care!
Tom
///////

Hey Tom, good to hear from you. I was so sick the last year I wouldn't have been very good company if I could have attended at all. Surgery went well so my diet is now unrestricted. Bbq is definitely back on the list.

Glad to hear you're recovered.

My good buddy in Sallisaw had a similar thing in late Nov `12 & early `13, & got off his strict diet more recently - though his is permanent off the BBQ.
red914.jpg white914.jpg
chowtime.gif chowtime.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 16 2014, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Nov 16 2014, 04:48 PM) *

John

How do you know that?

Immediately visible is the lack of the rear jack hole cover
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.