Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster shift boot removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Not exactly sure how to remove the top portion of the shift boot, as I was wanting to replace the current one. You would think the portion with the numbers would snap off, but then I don't want to just start getting all rammy and break something.
Any, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
When I was doing mine, I determined it has to be cut off. I ended up not using it. I cut the shifter handle short and bolted on a Mustang handle with threaded shaft so I could use a different knob.
BIGKAT_83
Try thisExplains how to remove the shift knob
partwerks
I think that just tells me on the first step what I already have done?

Maybe it can't be reskined? Built in obsolescence.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 16 2014, 07:13 PM) *

You better read it again. If you got to the part that says be careful and don't hit yourself in the face you have gone too far.
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 16 2014, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 16 2014, 07:13 PM) *

You better read it again. If you got to the part that says be careful and don't hit yourself in the face you have gone too far.

Begin by unclipping the shifter boot from the rear and lift it up (inset). To remove the shifter knob some cars use a set screw, and some require you to twist the lower collar 90° and then lift to remove. Remove your old knob by simply pulling upwards on it: be careful not to accidentally smack yourself in the face!

Any info above this part is telling me about the short shift kit.

I already have the shifter knob off.

What I was trying to find out, is if there is a way to effectively remove the leather from the shift knob itself?
partwerks
That was nice of the guy at Redline to extend a $25.00 credit to me, to tell them how to remove the numbered top, so they can update their article, on how to remove the numbered top, to install a new shift boot.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/Boxter9904install.php

I’m afraid I don’t know that for sure and I would hate to misinform you since those parts, being Porsche, tend to be quite expensive. I believe that is the way to go but I would recommend consulting a Porsche dealership to make sure that’s the correct procedure.

If you can be troubled to do that, and you end up telling us how to improve our write-up in due course, I’d be happy to offer you $25 store credit towards any future purchases.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.