Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SolidWorks is kicking my a$$
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
anybody know Solidworks? the teacher doesnt teach. I love the program , I just cant figure things out sometimes. pm me if you could offer advice (at times) and i'll ask for help if i need some (if you dont mind). How much does the educational version cost anyway?
Mueller
why don't you use the on-line tutorial....I wish Pro-E had as nice of a tutorial as SolidWorks (a good free one that is IPB Image )
bd1308
online tutorial? Dude, I really want to make some replacement door handles.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 31 2005, 09:12 PM)
online tutorial? Dude, I really want to make some replacement door handles.

what version do you have? I think it's under the Help section....

you can buy new cast door handles for $45 from AA.......it'll cost way more than that to machine new handles from billet
SpecialK
I use it now and then at home (V5) and find it much simpler to use than the AutoDesk line of software they taught at school. I bought a Solidworks Tutorial book (w/cd) off ebay, and it has come in VERY handy.

What's giving you problems?
Demick
I use SW day in and day out. Feel free to ask any questions.

Demick
bd1308
well i 've made a part that....shoudl i take a shapshot of it or what? i cant explain it quite well.
andys
Don't use it on a daily basis, but I've bought both network and single seat versions for my designers and engineers. I'll answer what I can.

Andy
bd1308
just remembered I dotn have/didnt download that program IPB Image um, here we go...I have it pictured. The red area is what I want to cut out, and the top view is to the right of the front view (not like its supposed to be positioned i know) the end of the part has a arc on it....
bd1308
whoops...forgot the pic
MattR
The best way to learn CAD is to just fuck with it. Ive spent just about every day for 5 years with cad in some form at work or in school.

I think the solution for your problem is in the "extruded cut" cut icon. I think that takes you to a specified plane and you can draw your geometry there and extrude cut it from the part.
Demick
Hard to tell what you want to do from that picture. Buy it looks like you just want to make a cut, but don't have a flat surface to sketch on. But you must have your original datum planes, one of which probably has the correct orientation - so just create your sketch on that plane - doesn't matter where the plane intersects the part or even if it doesn't intersect the part at all. After you have your sketch, just make it cut 'through all' (in both directions), and it will remove what you want.

Demick
bd1308
got ya' man! THX!
BigD9146gt
I do some farting around with SW too... Ask away!
911 2.2 head
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
type11969
as a matter of fact I am using SW right now . . . damn fine program.
bd1308
one of you two need to do this:

Give me a copy of it IPB Image

and make a 2.0L head so we could all flood the market with good heads and so they wont be like 50000 dollars (a little sarcastic)
BigD9146gt
You have PM.
Mueller
here is a 914/6 2.0 cylinder for you (copied from the prototype 914 motor IPB Image )

ignore the orange ring...
BigD9146gt
Mike, i don't know if i can ignore that orange ring... IPB Image

I mean, look at it, its ORANGE! IPB Image
davep
QUOTE (Demick @ Jan 31 2005, 08:30 PM)
I use SW day in and day out. Feel free to ask any questions.

Demick

You may regret saying that. I'm trying to use it also. We bought a seat in 1999. Last update was 2003+. We didn't renew the subscription, but we may need to shortly. We only use it occasionally. Sometimes intensely, sometimes not at all. It is hotting up right now. It has been years since I worked with it, so I'm struggling at the moment.

Dave
BigD9146gt
bd1308... so are you trying to cut out a section on an arc?

Could you maybe post a better picture of front, side, top view and label them?
bd1308
all i wanted to do is like cut a section (labeled red) out from the bottom of whatever these things are...but I personally dont have the program so i have to wait till wednesday to show you all.
BigD9146gt
Ok, but perhaps we can figure this out without needing SW at the moment.

Is he surface that you wish to cut flat for rounded?
DJsRepS
I have so many inventions I wanted to see in cad. Spin them around in 3d to see all sides. Animate them etc. Ive bought at least 6 cheaper cad programs. Some were fun to play with but I never got far at all with my designs.... Why cant a prog take .jpg image of an object (blue or white background) then convert it to a cartoon effect that some camera suits include, then in cartoon image hi contrast lines could easly be traced as a starting point for your drawing, or converted into wire frame. Ive even thought of Correll Draw could help..... What Ive found out about Cad prog's in general is they are very hard to understand. One would need hi dollar prog and puter and training and alot of practice. And thats alot to bite off when your having to earn an living. Any one have suggestions for an overworked frustrated inventor.
bd1308
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Feb 15 2005, 04:52 AM)
Why cant a prog take .jpg image of an object (blue or white background) then convert it to a cartoon effect that some camera suits include, then in cartoon image hi contrast lines could easly be traced as a starting point for your drawing, or converted into wire frame.

because the "operator" of this cad program wouldn't need any experience to create a part. This software is like to the max and you create everything from scratch, so i feel that if the program did it all for you, it'd be like cheating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.