Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3,000 mile service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
soooooooooooo, the mechanic I've been going to for 5 yrs. wants to charge $180.00 for oil change and valve adjustment. Does this seem reasonable. confused24.gif Oh, 71 stock 914 1.7...
76-914
Not for a man running a business.
boxsterfan
Sound reasonable to me. ~$30 for 20-50W oil (Brad Penn) + his hourly time to do the valves.

There are some days I would give someone $250 to get this all done. drunk.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Nov 17 2014, 03:03 PM) *

soooooooooooo, the mechanic I've been going to for 5 yrs. wants to charge $180.00 for oil change and valve adjustment. Does this seem reasonable. confused24.gif Oh, 71 stock 914 1.7...

At the end of my shop ownership, I charged an hour for a 3K service ($120/hr). Oil, drop and clean the screen, valves and gaskets if needed, look the car over, check the dwell, lube the doors and other latches, check the CV joint boots and bolts, inspect the brakes, what have you. Add the parts and you're pretty close to $180.

The Cap'n
Woody
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Nov 17 2014, 03:03 PM) *

At the end of my shop ownership, I charged an hour for a 3K service ($120/hr). Oil, drop and clean the screen, valves and gaskets if needed, look the car over, check the dwell, lube the doors and other latches, check the CV joint boots and bolts, inspect the brakes, what have you. Add the parts and you're pretty close to $180.

The Cap'n

You can do all that in an hour?
Cairo94507
Seems fair to me.
ThePaintedMan
I hadn't adjusted the valves on a car with actual heat exchangers and the rest of the heating stuff in place until I worked on T.C.'s car. I'd say with an oil change rolled in as well that's easily an $180 job at a competent shop (read: it does take some skill to get in there and do everything accurately with all the stuff in the way). I work for beer and comradery with T.C. but if I had a shop that would seem a reasonable rate with parts added in, as others mentioned.
cpavlenko
I thought it was reasonable. I'm just getting to old going under the 914 on jack stands. Air cooleds only, in Prescott, has been doing my oil change and valve adjustment since I bought the teener. They take pride in their work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.