Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru exhaust with the Coldwater (Ian) engine mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I picked up an OBX header to use on a Subaru 2.5 and Ian's engine mount. It's not going to fit and would hang to low if it did. What is everyone using as an exhaust solution?
76-914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 18 2014, 07:57 AM) *

I picked up an OBX header to use on a Subaru 2.5 and Ian's engine mount. It's not going to fit and would hang to low if it did. What is everyone using as an exhaust solution?

Look at Ross' (RNellums) build "Apollo Racer". He used that exhaust. Or look at mine which I did in steel. BTW, I did not use Ian's cradle but they're close enough for what your doing. beerchug.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2014, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 18 2014, 07:57 AM) *

Look at Ross' (RNellums) build "Apollo Racer". He used that exhaust. Or look at mine which I did in steel. BTW, I did not use Ian's cradle but they're close enough for what your doing. beerchug.gif

Ross has an EZ30 in his... and Harley mufflers out the back. Sounds cool!
blitZ
Cool, thanks.

These from OutFront looks like they would fit. Anyone try them?

OutFront

IPB Image

Chris H.
I have the 3.3 version of those and they did not work. I don't know if that helps at all but you can measure and see. Mine hit the cross brace.

If you CAN make them work they are really nice.
mgp4591
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 19 2014, 08:28 AM) *

Bulgaria sounds like a stretch to me... plus it doesn't look like the EG33 is supported, most look like 3.0s. Has anyone looked into porting the stock manifolds and an ExtrudeHone for a solution? I was thinking of that then twisting up the rest myself. idea.gif
matthepcat
In the turbo subaru community, in general headers are not really worth running unless you intend to use a larger turbo. Headers also tend to leak, crack and not provide enough HP gain over manifolds to be worth the cash layout.
r_towle
What does Ian say fits?
effutuo101
I am using Ian's cradle. I have an early version, so later versions may be different.
I found that the exhaust header I bought hung really low. So, I am having one built. I did go with a shortened oil pan to make the bottom of the pan lie flush with the bottom of the car. I don't mind smacking the header, but do mind smacking the oil pan. I will post pictures once my car is back from the shop.
gryphon68
For those looking to build their own headers, one of the best sources for collectors and merges we have found is Cone Engineering.

http://coneeng.com/collectors.html

They have a nice selection of sizes in both Mild and Stainless.

There seem to be a fair number of hits when punch "Subaru Header Flange" into Google, if anyone has any experience on a good source for flanges, speak up!
matthepcat
Does the stock exhaust manifold not work?
mgp4591
The thing with headers is they flow better than a mass produced cast iron manifold and weigh less. A manifold however will retain heat better so if your pipe length is shorter your flow rate may be higher due to the exhaust gases not coolin down, slowing before they hit the turbo. You want high exhaust gas speed to spin your turbine for less lag, better response. If your piping is short enough just port your manifolds and save your money.
matthepcat

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 21 2014, 12:26 PM) *

The thing with headers is they flow better than a mass produced cast iron manifold and weigh less. A manifold however will retain heat better so if your pipe length is shorter your flow rate may be higher due to the exhaust gases not coolin down, slowing before they hit the turbo. You want high exhaust gas speed to spin your turbine for less lag, better response. If your piping is short enough just port your manifolds and save your money.

^^ Agree ^^

No need for headers at all. Grimspeed used to provide porting and coating services for stock manifolds, plus a high flow crossover pipe.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/GrimmSpeed...X-2004-2011-STI

I am sure there are other vendors doing this now.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.