Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lift experience. Atlas BP8000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
preparing to buy. any first hand experience with the Atlas models? i can buy and have one delivered for LESS than the same price (except sales tax added to the net cost if i buy locally. @9.6% ) out of oregon as the i haul price with the lift being 70 miles away. the local one is not an Atlas. 8k lift weight, base plate version, that will fit under my 10' ceiling height. pre-approved to buy from my in-house accountant. another member is considering a purchase and then shipping for 2 is $331.
dcheek
I installed an Atlas BP 8000 this year. I did a lot of research and talked to both private and professional repair shop owners who bought Atlas lifts, and they all had nothing but praise for the quality and reliability.

I actually picked up two lifts at the warehouse in Delaware and got a slight discount on both, along with no sales tax in Delaware. I installed one in my man cave, which took 4 hours, mainly because the instruction weren't clear. The second lift we installed in
2 1/2 hours at my buddy's garage.

It works smoothly and is very robust. A local mechanic came in to look at it and he was impressed by the quality, having his doubts when I told him it was made in China.

Here's a picture:

Click to view attachment

Dave

rhodyguy
I can have it delivered to my house or a central facility nearby for $235. The unload will be a major hassle as the truck will not be able to fit in the driveway. But, at $1730 total I'm still over $200 to the 'good' and it will be in my garage. Did you need a forklift to unload or could a few bodies handle the offload by hand? 2 lifts delivered to the same address is $331.
tdgray
Kevin... you can get that in a ten foot garage... really? I always thought I would need a higher ceiling than that.

You have link to the model you are looking at?
dcheek
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 18 2014, 01:17 PM) *

I can have it delivered to my house or a central facility nearby for $235. The unload will be a major hassle as the truck will not be able to fit in the driveway. But, at $1730 total I'm still over $200 to the 'good' and it will be in my garage. Did you need a forklift to unload or could a few bodies handle the offload by hand? 2 lifts delivered to the same address is $331.

I used a forklift at my shop but, at my buddy's garage we broke it down and lifted it in piece by piece. That's really not a big deal, since you have to dismantle everything anyway to install. Just make sure you have a bunch of guys to help, since truck drivers don't like to wait (the old time is money deal).

I had a buddy of mine make me aluminum diamond plate ramps to make it easier to get the car over the floor plate. The angle is very steep and can be difficult to push a car into position by yourself if the car is not running.

Click to view attachment
dcheek
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 18 2014, 01:17 PM) *

I used a forklift at my shop but, at my buddy's garage we broke it down and lifted it in piece by piece. That's really not a big deal, since you have to dismantle everything anyway to install. Just make sure you have a bunch of guys to help, since truck drivers don't like to wait (the old time is money deal).

I had a buddy of mine make me aluminum diamond plate ramps to make it easier to get the car over the floor plate. The angle is very steep and can be difficult to push a car into position by yourself if the car is not running.

Click to view attachment
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(tdgray @ Nov 18 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Kevin... you can get that in a ten foot garage... really? I always thought I would need a higher ceiling than that.

The mechanism itself of most non-"clear floor" types will fit under a ten foot ceiling. I would imagine you would need to exercise care not to smash your car into the ceiling since anything but a GT40 is going to stick up over the posts at max lift.

I have an opening in my ceiling aprox 6' x 6' to clear the "greenhouse" of the car being lifted. My MG nearly came to grief when I started lifting it with the hood open. Fortunately I heard the hood clip a light fixture before hard contact with ceiling.
Mark Henry
Well... just an FYI....

I can tell you that this lift is no where near as heavily built as my USA made AAMCO lift (which is ALI certified) and my lift is rated 1000lbs less than this at 7000lbs.
The Atlas has a 1300lbs shipping weight, I'd say it's about half the weight of my lift. I admit I am guessing, but because I towed it home on my small car float I know my lift weighs a hell of a lot more than a 914.

I don't know if this is the same lift, but it looks a lot like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUjq6ijvVc
tdgray
Well never mind....always "think" my ceilings are 10 feet...nope...106 inches...just like the last time I measured mad.gif

Must build another garage...ain't gonna happen soon with the boy off to college fairly soon.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 18 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I have an opening in my ceiling aprox 6' x 6' to clear the "greenhouse" of the car being lifted. My MG nearly came to grief when I started lifting it with the hood open. Fortunately I heard the hood clip a light fixture before hard contact with ceiling.

I always wondered if that was a possibility Brian. Eventually I'd like a two-post in my garage but I have 8 foot ceilings. I was curious if it would be possible to cut out and box in a section of the trussing to allow a 914 to be lifted fully. Mostly pipe dreams but maybe someday. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
I suck at links. Esp on the iPad. Gregsmithequipment.com. They have a pretty wide selection and stores/locations across the country. I may have to cut some squares in the 50yo slab due to some cracks in the post placement area. I'll roll the car out, inspect the floor and drill a few test holes in the slab for thickness.
tdgray
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 18 2014, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Nov 18 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I always wondered if that was a possibility Brian. Eventually I'd like a two-post in my garage but I have 8 foot ceilings. I was curious if it would be possible to cut out and box in a section of the trussing to allow a 914 to be lifted fully. Mostly pipe dreams but maybe someday. biggrin.gif

Well George yes you can...I have actually considered this in the third bay...trusses run the right way (across width)... You can essentially "tray" the ceiling to fit the car in. Must do some pitch \ load calcs but it can be done with a short span...which I have

rhodyguy
i'm not doing any alterations to the ceiling. when i finished the garage off the ceiling joists were under sized. the 2x6s were doubled up, adhesive, and 12d ring shanked nails with a nail gun. i put in a lot of wood.
patssle
I bought the BP8000 back in March - one of the best investments you'll ever do if you work on your car. It makes EVERYTHING SO MUCH EASIER. Paid $1400 for lift, $300 for shipping, $300 for professional install. It's heavy as hell for just 2 or 3 guys to unload. I can push my car over the base plate with no problem. It is the only Chinese built lift I would buy - it is well made and engineered. There are several American brands that are "better"...but a lot more expensive. I couldn't justify the thousand or two more dollars.

For those with low ceilings...consider cutting a hole in the drywall for each post. Maybe that'll create enough room for you.

Click to view attachment
dcheek
QUOTE(tdgray @ Nov 18 2014, 01:20 PM) *

My ceiling is exactly 10 feet. I can raise the 914 high enough to walk underneath. I'm 6' 2" tall. With all my other call I have to duck or use a rolling seat.

Dave
rhodyguy
Double checked the ceiling last night. The lid will require 2 relief cuts for the post tops to slide into. No big deal.
championgt1
Let me know if/when you need some help. No more laying on the concrete!!
rhodyguy
you're first on my list jack. biggrin.gif
championgt1
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
greenie

So did you buy this yet?

Hurry up please, I need to borrow it for a day.
championgt1
QUOTE(greenie @ Nov 26 2014, 09:28 AM) *

So did you buy this yet?

Hurry up please, I need to borrow it for a day.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.