Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Do you think one could use the later 2.0 series heads to fill and air tank with compressed air using the air injection ports?
This would be for an adjustable air ride suspension.
roblav1
How many maximum psi?
messix
on a running engine? screwy.gif
Mikey914
Probably more efficient to run a pump on a pulley like the air injection pump. But what would you need the air for? The water squirters biggrin.gif
messix
I run an old a/c compressor for on board air on my jeep with a switch to turn on the clutch to run the compressor. with the idle up a bit I can air up big tires quick and run air impacts on the trail.
Mikey914
Honestly I can fix your problem for about $65 and a trip to Home Depot
http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P731-Function-...+air+compressor
Mikey914
Sorry forgot for suspension. If you used a 12v pump you could power off the battery, you would just need a tank to store the compressed gas, which you would need either way. The electric pump would be way more efficient, especially on our little motors. How much horsepower to you want to rob?
bdstone914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2014, 10:42 PM) *

Do you think one could use the later 2.0 series heads to fill and air tank with compressed air using the air injection ports?
This would be for an adjustable air ride suspension.

I doubt it. If I understand your idea you want to use air (exhaust) pumped out of the engine to a tank for air suspension. Using hot exhaust sound bad idea for a lot of reasons and I doubt you would have much pressure considering it is an open system. The electric compressor sounds better. Those are not meant to run for long periods of time either.
balljoint
Rich,

I liked your idea of using the air injection to run a couple of small turbos. What ever happened to those plans?
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Nov 19 2014, 08:46 AM) *

Rich,

I liked your idea of using the air injection to run a couple of small turbos. What ever happened to those plans?

Still working out the details of the oil return lines for the turbos, but I figured I could put a T inline to get some spare air for the low rider suspension while I was plumbing.

Cap'n Krusty
Not much pressure in an exhaust system. Be kinda like blowing up a broken balloon.

The Cap'n
timothy_nd28
I like the AC compressor idea. The magnetic clutch would toggle on and off with a pressure switch. Plus adding a train horn along with the air ride would be cool idea.gif
Click to view attachment
r_towle
ummm, those horns give me a new idea....wow, wonder what those are from?
rhodyguy
a locomotive? there is a rail car in the background.
stugray
Systems available for the BRZ use the electric compressor technique:

http://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/subaru-brz/
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 19 2014, 11:58 AM) *

Systems available for the BRZ use the electric compressor technique:

http://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/subaru-brz/

I know these exist, I am just a bit worried about overloading the already overloaded electrical system, alternator and voltage regulator.

With an engine driven air supply I could remove that risk.

orangecrate
Yah I like those horns. Warp speed Mr Sulu!!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(orangecrate @ Nov 19 2014, 04:19 PM) *

Yah I like those horns. Warp speed Mr Sulu!!

"You blow your horn?...Oh my...."
messix
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 19 2014, 07:46 AM) *

ummm, those horns give me a new idea....wow, wonder what those are from?

ships horns
Chris914n6
electric pumps and air ride are used in mini-trucks all the time. It's very well established. electrical isn't a problem as the pump doesn't run that often if the tank is a good size.
Mikey914
You could always increase alternator output and add a battery if you had to. Most modern cars are moving to electric A/C as it is more efficient. Less spikes in HP demand as they kick on. For suspension I would doubt you would even need to add the extra capacity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.