Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy 2.2l 6cyl upgrade recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently purchased a 1970 911 e 2.2l engine with zenith carbs for a 6 conversion. I mainly am going to use it for spirited street driving. Are there any easy upgrades that I need to do prior to installing the engine? Any easy performance upgrades?
r_towle
Sell it and buy a 3.6
gereed75
google 2.4 mod s porsche or 2.45 supertech porsche or similar and you will have ideas galore. Welcome to the slippery slope!
puffinator
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Nov 19 2014, 10:23 PM) *

google 2.4 mod s porsche or 2.45 supertech porsche or similar and you will have ideas galore. Welcome to the slippery slope!

go to Pelican forum and ask.
Mark Henry
MSD and a good wire set. Cams are $1000, but before you do that do you really know what you have?

Not a whole lot without tearing into the engine.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 19 2014, 07:53 PM) *

MSD and a good wire set. Cams are $1000, but before you do that do you really know what you have?

Not a whole lot without tearing into the engine.

agree.gif

Easiest thing you can do is play around with the exhaust. I did headers going into a 4-port magna-flow SS muffler and it really opened up my exhaust. This style drones right at 3k rpms though.

roblav1
High value for lower dollar are as Mark H said - MSD and good wires. If a Pertronix will fit, I'd do that too and dump the points.

The Zeniths were made for 911T's. They'll work OK for an E engine but not as good as 40 IDA Weber in low rpm transition.

Find a 2 liter six flywheel and clutch. They will bolt right on.

tornik550
I do have a MSD box. I also have pertronix. Do they make a Mallory distributor for this engine?

What plug wires should I get?
roblav1
I doubt Mallory makes a distributor for that engine. You'd be better off keeping the original Bosch one.

The distributors back then were different between engines. The E, S, and T each had their own advance mechanism. You'll want to keep the "E" distributor. You'll also want to take it out of the engine and make sure that the advance mechanism works properly. Almost all of my 911's had sticking mechanisms when I got them. Take the two screws out that hold the Bakelite plate in place and look at the advance mechanism weights and springs underneath. It needs to freely move or your engine will not run right.
Vysoc
Just remember the 2.2 E was a very nice engine making 155HP and having a very flexible power band. Excellence had an article a few years ago about the three different 2.2 models and the article author picked the 2.2E as being the funnest engine to drive of the S,E & T version's?

Anyway, I have an 71' 2.2E case and look forward to recreating the 2.2E in my next 914-6 project!

Have fun!

Vysoc flag.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 20 2014, 09:37 AM) *

What plug wires should I get?

Magnacore
IronHillRestorations
Zeniths are hit or miss, if they don't work well the 1st upgrade will be good carbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.