Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thread size top of rear Bilstein shock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
Started to assemble my rear shocks today but the threaded bushing wont go onto the threads of my new Bilstein shock...any clues why?
bdstone914
Measure the thread pitch. I have a pair of rear Bilsteins and they use the same hardware as the Boge shocks. I remember having some that did require a different nut.
falcor75
The threaded bushing is M12x1.25, the piston thread could be M12x1.5
Dont have any nuts that size to test with.
falcor75
Yep, piston thread size is M12x1,5... so the Bilstein shock isnt bolt on compatible with the car anymore. Any suggestions how to solve this?

sad.gif
siverson
That's strange. I always use Bilsteins and have never had a problem... ?

-Steve
falcor75
IPB Image

Checked with the Bilstein website that I had the right part numbers and I do.

IPB Image

Comparison pic, bolt is M12x1.25 and fits in the bushing, piston thread is M12x1,5

Anyone else that's recently replaced their rear shocks with Bilsteins?
falcor75
Whats probably happened is that Bilstein has changed the thread to M12x1,5 in some sort of standardization and cost saving effort without having the information about the car specific M12x1,25 thread being needed....

So anyone considering Bilsteins think twice before ordering...they're not a bolt on item anymore.
falcor75
After measuring twice I drilled out the threads in the bushings and then they mount up fine. Maybe not an option for the bone stock original minded but either way it works.

confused24.gif
bdstone914
Try contacting Bilstein. They probably have the parts you need. Did you buy them new?
falcor75
Yes I bought them new. I have been in contact with the Swedish agent for Bilstein who are very well reputed and they understood the problem but had no help to offer except that they'd forward the issue to their technical contact at Bilstein.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.