Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel GT Bumper Fabrication
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
We just did a steel GT bumper modification, and in fact we've done a few of these now and have a few more on the table. Thought I'd share pics, including a couple of the process. This one took 14h to do, but I think it's worth it. drooley.gif
Looks great! Are you also doing the modifications to the steel rocker panels?
boogie_man
Oh yeah, that's lookin good Marky drunk.gif
Mueller
Looks good Mark!

johnhora
Nice Work Mark!
McMark
Looks great! Are you also doing the modifications to the steel rocker panels?

Sure am. cool_shades.gif
bulitt
Nice work!
914Sixer
Steel is always better ! Nice one.
rick 918-S
Are you having it re-chromed? Nice!
McMark
Yup. It'll head out to Ogden Chrome next week.
Mike Bellis
Want... wub.gif
Harpo
Very nice work Mark

David
maf914
Nice work!

What tool do you make the initial cuts with? The cut lines appear to be so smooth and straight. Nice job with the steel rocker flares.

What sort of front valence or spoiler will you mount under the modified GT bumper?
arkitect
Mark,
Your a magic metal man, along with all of your other talents.

Dave biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(arkitect @ Nov 21 2014, 06:04 PM) *

Mark,
Your a magic metal man, along with all of your other talents.

Dave biggrin.gif

Other talents??? blink.gif
wes
agree.gif Well done, real talent!
ConeDodger
as of this morning, it became mine! piratenanner.gif

Serious cheese in this though between the bumper, the modifications, and the straightening and rechroming! I'm very excited as I think this will be a very good edition to my car! Plus, it might solve a problem. I have high oil temps according to my new 'John' triple gauge. We have to figure out if it is a sender-match problem or simply not enough air to the front cooler?

Anyone want a perfectly good chrome front bumper with 914Rubber fake titties? biggrin.gif
cal914
Is this what you have planned for my next project
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 03:36 PM) *

Serious cheese in this though between the bumper, the modifications, and the straightening and rechroming! I'm very excited as I think this will be a very good edition to my car! Plus, it might solve a problem. I have high oil temps according to my new 'John' triple gauge. We have to figure out if it is a sender-match problem or simply not enough air to the front cooler?

Anyone want a perfectly good chrome front bumper with 914Rubber fake titties? biggrin.gif

Rob,
Beautiful 914 pray.gif Is it finished now?? first.gif
Tom
colingreene
Actually, i could use a front bumper.
Let me know what the story is, with shipping/payment stuff like that.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 8 2015, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 03:36 PM) *

Rob,
Tom

Blizz, there's always something! I plan on replacing the seats with GTS Classic Nurbergrings. Mark's going to do a top end rebuild and then, I'll put a bigger throttle body and a Steve Wong chip in it, but it is essentially finished.
laflaur
Start with the gauge...just sayin
raynekat
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Is there a link to your build....or additional pics anywhere? Thx
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 9 2015, 12:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Is there a link to your build....or additional pics anywhere? Thx

Yes. Most of the evolution of my car is contained in a thread called "just another damned project thread" which if you search with Conedodger as the member name should be in the top results.
NS914
Rob,
Tom

I was just going to say the same...beautiful car...really love those wheels!!!

Grant
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2014, 11:27 AM) *

We just did a steel GT bumper modification, and in fact we've done a few of these now and have a few more on the table. Thought I'd share pics, including a couple of the process. This one took 14h to do, but I think it's worth it. drooley.gif

They look real good. Can you post a mock up template with measurements? It would help others (like me) who don't have an original to work off of.

Next...looking to learn how to mold standard rockers into GT rockers. I'll be needing to do that soon enough.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jan 8 2015, 05:23 PM) *

Actually, i could use a front bumper.
Let me know what the story is, with shipping/payment stuff like that.

Hey Colin,
send me a PM...
McMark
Just got it back from chrome. Used Ogden Chrome. Not cheap by any means, but it looks super fantastic in person and it'll last as long as the original bumper. drooley.gif
JmuRiz
Very nice!!!
scotty b
wub.gif
Cairo94507
That looks very familiar to me. Mine is just not in chrome yet.... McMark- what did it cost to chrome that baby if you don't mind saying.
eric9144
Allrighty so when does the group buy start? first.gif poke.gif
ConeDodger
Must be close to time for my 914 to come down to the OC! w00t.gif
McMark
A stock bumper is cheaper to chrome because they don't have to 'work' the part as much. Good chrome shops will address the steel condition first, then 'copper strike' it a few times much like body filler before paint. Then the part is nickel plated, and finally chrome. The part is sanded and fully polished in between each step/coating.

Because of the welding involved in making this custom bumper, the steel needs a fair amount of attention before the 'chroming' process even starts. So this guy was about $1k to chrome.

I know about half of you just fell over. yikes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 06:50 PM) *

A stock bumper is cheaper to chrome because they don't have to 'work' the part as much. Good chrome shops will address the steel condition first, then 'copper strike' it a few times much like body filler before paint. Then the part is nickel plated, and finally chrome. The part is sanded and fully polished in between each step/coating.

Because of the welding involved in making this custom bumper, the steel needs a fair amount of attention before the 'chroming' process even starts. So this guy was about $1k to chrome.

I was sitting down ...
biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 09:50 PM) *

One of the reasons I'm going satin black. But it does look nice.
Socalandy
Amazing work drooley.gif I want to have mine done!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2015, 06:50 PM) *

I was warned in advance... blink.gif
mgp4591
The last thing I had done at Ogden Chrome was a black chrome job done on the rear bumper of my 70 GTO. It was about 200 bucks in 92... plus it helps having friends that work there. At the time, it was only 15 minutes away and I'd trade exhaust work with him. Now it's about an hour away and apparently a bit more expensive! Don't know if there's anyone there I still know or not... idea.gif
Cairo94507
It certainly seems they did a nice job by preparing it between each step of the chrome. I have seem some pretty poor chrome jobs on these bumpers. I will be curious to see what it costs back on the east coast to get mine chromed. I actually was thinking around here it would be $750 so $1K is not that bad considering the extra work for the oil cooler opening.
McMark
We also did a pair of stock bumpers in this batch. These had the extra holes welded shut before shipment. They were $700 each. So I think you're right on Cairo.
e_artiles
Looks like great work! I've been looking for a place to repair/re-chrome my bumpers. I've got a slight dent on my front bumper and want to fill tit holes. Does Ogden provide repair work or only chroming? If not, any recommendations for SoCal area?
dadaDaveed
drooley.gif
McMark
Looks like great work! I've been looking for a place to repair/re-chrome my bumpers. I've got a slight dent on my front bumper and want to fill tit holes. Does Ogden provide repair work or only chroming? If not, any recommendations for SoCal area?

I'm pretty sure they can handle the whole process. Give 'em a call.
bahnzai
Mark,
Would you consider building another GT front bumper? If so, would you PM me a price for both, finished satin and in chrome?
There is a 3.6 conversion underway that this would be perfect for.
Thanks!
Danny
bahnzai
Hey Mark,
Any chance that you would tackle building another one of these?
Thanks!
McMark
Absolutely. thumb3d.gif
Harpo
I want one of those as well. PM sent

David
ConeDodger
Installed... Lovin' it! rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
Beautiful - absolutely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.