Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $70,000 "6" on Ebay w Reserve not Met
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
Never seen one like this so high without meeting reserve. No affiliation. VIN 9140432343

For you six owners, make sure your insurance is up to date and the value stated is correct.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141464071890
r_towle
It's at a dealer bumping the bids.
mikesmith
It was also on BaT.

Remember that eBay autos is a classified listing service with a bidding game; winning bids are not binding.
Johny Blackstain
Looks like a damned fine car, however my knowledge of sixes is limited compared to my knowledge of creamsicles.
Big Len
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Please explain Rich. I'm not sure what you mean.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2014, 07:43 PM) *

Never seen one like this so high without meeting reserve. No affiliation

For you six owners, make sure your insurance is up to date and the value stated is correct.

The seller has a current asking price of 80k USD. Why are you wondering about "RNM"?
mikesmith
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2014, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Please explain Rich. I'm not sure what you mean.

The allegations are:

1) the seller is a dealer of some sort
2) one or more of the bids was placed by the seller or someone else helping them

Sellers do this to make an item look more popular, or to force a single buyer to make a higher offer in order to 'keep' the item.

This is common on eBay and in the auction world in general. Much of the time the seller pays a fraction of the selling price to the auction house, so even though this makes buyers unhappy, as long as the seller 'bumps' in a way that buyers can't see most auction houses will turn a blind eye to it.
Big Len
I understand the concept of "shilling". But at the same time, couldn't that also risk alienating legitimate bidders with a price that's over market?

Maybe the better question is - Is this car, with reserve still not met, over market now?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2014, 03:50 PM) *

I understand the concept of "shilling". But at the same time, couldn't that also risk alienating legitimate bidders with a price that's over market?

Maybe the better question is - Is this car, with reserve still not met, over market now?

From what I can tell from the pics I'd say the price is spot on but the reserve is too high.
mepstein
eBay bidding not legit. I would have never guessed.... LOL
Cairo94507
So this is a nice looking Six - no doubt. But if I had that car and it was as represented, I would have posted up 1 or 2 pictures of the car stripped to bare metal as they have stated to support their claim. If that were mine, that is how I would do it to support the high reserve.

As I look at the engine compartment I find myself wondering why the firewall is textured. On my car it is perfectly smooth and finished. Granted mine is a '71 but both of my '70's were perfectly smooth and finished like the exterior of the car.

Also looking at the picture of the underside of the engine lid, where you can see the left edge of the rear window, the seal appears to have overspray in primer and color on it. Tough to tell but that is what I see.

Regardless, this is a very nice car and will undoubtedly bring top dollar.
Chris914n6
last legit bid was 66,500. the top two bidders are dealers with high retractions.
rick 918-S
Don't mean to pick on the car but anyone notice the floor pans?
Johny Blackstain
Hmmmm... I know I'm nitpicking here but the COA says nothing about Fuchs & the spare looks like a steelie. A possible case of cosmetic over restoration for profit? The window cranks don't match, it's had stainless steel fuel lines put in (a good thing) & I'm not sure what Rick wants us to look @ regarding the floors. Nothing in the COA about sway bars & the rear one isn't OEM mounted (bracket is bolted, not welded as it should be). Starting to change my mind regarding the current price. Still a very nice car but it's looking like too much coin required.
Michael N
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Good advise here Big Len. After having a conversation with Ferg at the Werks Reunion I thought I would take a look at where I was at on my insurance on my six since I had not looked at it since I bought my car back in 2006. My six was at $25k and I would have been a very sad camper if their was a major incident or total loss for my car. I fixed the value and can now sleep better knowing that it would be taken care of it something happened.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 21 2014, 12:38 PM) *

last legit bid was 66,500. the top two bidders are dealers with high retractions.

So ... if I'm reading this correctly, only six or seven of the 40 bids were legitimate?
siverson
It looks like a nice car, but not great. And I think the market for a GREAT car is $80k+.

There is lots of sloppy stuff on the car:

overspray on the front suspension parts looks really shoddy to me for a car in this price range

overspray on front suspension goop on top of strut

overspray on wiring harness hold downs

driver door panel falling apart (simple staples to fix)

missing gas tank expansion tank thing (right?)

front trunk cable latch not routed correctly (right? needs to go down into the hole below the headlights)

Big Len
QUOTE(Michael N @ Nov 21 2014, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2014, 10:43 AM) *

Good advise here Big Len. After having a conversation with Ferg at the Werks Reunion I thought I would take a look at where I was at on my insurance on my six since I had not looked at it since I bought my car back in 2006. My six was at $25k and I would have been a very sad camper if their was a major incident or total loss for my car. I fixed the value and can now sleep better knowing that it would be taken care of it something happened.

Based on the bidding here and others, my original intent in this thread was to notify six owners (and others) to adjust insurance to today's values. You don't want to get caught short God forbid something unfortunate happens, especially with the drastic appreciation of these cars, and to a lesser degree, any 914 in very good condition.

If shilling seems likely in this case, it is still stunning to me that this car would go this far. I guess the owner believes there's more upside in this sale, but I don't.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2014, 12:57 PM) *

agree.gif
The whole floorpan was replaced!

From the Ad when it was last on the market, the important piece is highlighted in bold:

Ebay Mar 2013: 1970 Porsche 914-6
Increasing values make this a great investment car.
It has 79K on the odometer. The engine and transmission have been rebuilt and not leak or smoke. It is the original color of metallic green and the numbers are matching. There is some rust on the floors, a small dent on the bumper and some small dings on the passenger door and on the cowl. The the hood and headlight doors have some slight imperfections with the paint. It has a sport exhaust, sway bars and has been slightly lowered for PCA events. It is a very solid, fun car that any Porsche enthusiast would love to drive.
The car also comes with a COA, original service book, handbook, tool kit and window sticker in the original pouch.
Please e-mail any questions before bidding.

shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2014, 02:57 PM) *

See anything different? Just a small detail.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2014, 03:21 PM) *
See anything different?

Yes, Rd replacement pans. According to last years ebay Ad for the car, it had some rust in the pans.
shades.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 21 2014, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 21 2014, 12:38 PM) *

So ... if I'm reading this correctly, only six or seven of the 40 bids were legitimate?

Hard to say for sure. Both of them are bidding on multiple higher end cars, both have multiple retractions. One of them may actually want it. But the 66,500 bid was just on this car pointing to someone that actually wanted it. The key will be at or near the end to see if someone backs out, or if a second chance offer is made, but we can't see that.

I've bid on stuff where someone bids high, retracts, then bids just under mine to push it up. I've also gotten a few second chance offers after a last minute bid or two, the next day, but ebay puts the amount at my max bid and not what it would have been if the other guy had not bid at all. ar15.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2014, 07:21 PM) *

Wow, I feel pretty dumb for missing that one. Not very concours but I do like it.
JeffBowlsby
If that is factory Metallic Green, its a drop dead gorgeous color. Our own Gustl's /6 is that color. I generally don't like green but this is a phenomenal color for a 914.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 21 2014, 07:22 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2014, 07:21 PM) *

Wow, I feel pretty dumb for missing that one. Not very concours but I do like it.

Ya, I like the car but that kind of jumped out at me. I really am not picking on the car. I guess it's not a big issue but it was an easy detail to add when the interior was out.
pete000
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 21 2014, 03:11 PM) *

It looks like a nice car, but not great. And I think the market for a GREAT car is $80k+.

overspray on the front suspension parts looks really shoddy to me for a car in this price range

front trunk cable latch not routed correctly (right? needs to go down into the hole below the headlights)

I agree, a good 6, not a great 6...

At that price that thing should be a trophy winner...I don't think it is there. Re Paint quality seems a bit off.
rgalla9146
Hey Len, great bit of advise .
Also, what great observation of details by all.
I noticed the careless overspray on the bottom and knew it would lead to other faults....
boy did that ever come true. But it is a beautiful car.
Almost makes me afraid to list a car......
Dave_Darling
The Fuchs look like 15s, and I don't think those were a factory option on standard-body cars. (14" Fuchs were, 15" Mahles, 15" steelies--but not 15" Fuchs. I think.)

No foot rest, either. EDIT: Whoops, there it is in the font trunk!

I agree, this is "stupendous car" money for a "good car" vehicle.

--DD
Spoke
Is this shifter coupling how it was done on /6's? Can this be done on /4's with tailshifter?
mskala
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 22 2014, 10:18 AM) *

Is this shifter coupling how it was done on /6's? Can this be done on /4's with tailshifter?

This is the setup on the -6 (missing firewall cover).
Gustl
the transmission housing is definitely from a /6
Dave_Darling
1- Yes, that is basically what the original Six used.
2- You cannot use it on a Four because the oil sump is in the way.

--DD
mskala
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 22 2014, 09:06 PM) *

1- Yes, that is basically what the original Six used.
2- You cannot use it on a Four because the oil sump is in the way.

--DD

Basically? I don't see anything out of place other than the missing
plastic cover at the firewall.
toolguy
The tailcone shifter arm and rod mechanism design for a six is completely different from a 4. . the plastic tail cover is specific to a six and is larger that the four tailshifter box. .
housepumpinpc
That's a nice 914. Not concours though. Definitely not 70k nice. I've seen better member cars than that.
SixerJ
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 22 2014, 01:30 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 21 2014, 03:11 PM) *

I agree, a good 6, not a great 6...

At that price that thing should be a trophy winner...I don't think it is there. Re Paint quality seems a bit off.

Also check out the poor masking around the vin plates, if that is the quality of workmanship then I hate to think what other corners have been cut. If it really is a bare metal re spray then I would have expected at least the front trunk tag to be removed and replaced, even order a new door tag from Andy. Bright and shiny for sure but I would be concerned what I was really going on under the paint / how well it's been put back together. That said beautiful looking car and my -6 was once that colour - shame it's not anymore!
Big Len
QUOTE(housepumpinpc @ Nov 23 2014, 02:36 AM) *

That's a nice 914. Not concours though. Definitely not 70k nice. I've seen better member cars than that.

agree.gif

Big Len
SOLD....$71,000.00....crazy.
rgalla9146

The old timer 356 people endured/hated/loved/profited/scrutinized/ screamed /rejoiced/about all the things that the rising market brought.
We are them.
Oh!, 911 people too.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 23 2014, 05:21 PM) *
SOLD....$71,000.00....crazy.

wacko.gif
Chris914n6
Looks like a dealer/collector.

v***d
eBay Motors > Porsche 2 Seller 1 <1h
eBay Motors > Datsun 4 Seller 2 <1h
eBay Motors > Datsun 1 Seller 2 <1h
Collectibles > Neon 2 Seller 3 <1h

I should be happy my car is finally worth more than I've got into it piratenanner.gif
bandjoey
Wow. So many issues for $71k! Simple things. Check out the balloon visors and the torn targa pad. For example. So many cleanup items could have been found here from members and the price might have gone higher.
All that said,
It's a great looking 914 and I'm glad it went so high. first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.