Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More light needed in reverse. What's best modification?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
Now that it is really dark during my commute times, and the 914 is serving as one of my commute car options, AND we just moved into a new rental with a long, narrow, dark driveway I have to back out of every morning, I am thinking about doing some custom additions to the 914 to illuminate my path backwards while in reverse.

Here's my ideas so far:
1) Replace reverse lights in housing with mega-bright directional light
2) Tapping into the wiring, add a new LED light bar between existing license plate lights
3) Tapping into the wiring, add a new LED light mounted in back bumper tow-hook hole

# 1 seems difficult given diffuser. Perhaps there is a good "lightbulb replacement" that is bright enough?

#3 was my favorite at first, because I may be able to make it super stealth, but now # 2 seems like it might be easiest and produce best results.

Sorry, don't have the time or $$$ to source a "OEM rear fog light" biggrin.gif

Has anybody tried this?
There are lots of LED light projects lately, so maybe some of those gurus can chime in.
THANKS beerchug.gif
mikesmith
Pull your rear lenses off, clean the reverse portion inside and out. The diffuser isn't as bad as you think (IMO).

Pull the reflector assembly out (if you can) and clean the reflecting surfaces. If they are dull, you can re-spray them with 'chrome' spray paint, or you go cheap and wrap them with aluminium foil (shiny side out).

If you don't mind spending a little more cash, some high-power white LEDs like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-25W-White-1156-...s-/221422117270

will make a significant improvement. These are even better if you clean up the reflectors as well.
76-914
Back it inside the afternoon before. I always back my wife's car in the garage so she doesn't have to contend with that.
monkeyboy
I bet a rear fog light would throw out quite a bit of light.
OU8AVW
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Nov 21 2014, 11:42 AM) *

Pull your rear lenses off, clean the reverse portion inside and out. The diffuser isn't as bad as you think (IMO).

Pull the reflector assembly out (if you can) and clean the reflecting surfaces. If they are dull, you can re-spray them with 'chrome' spray paint, or you go cheap and wrap them with aluminium foil (shiny side out).

If you don't mind spending a little more cash, some high-power white LEDs like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-25W-White-1156-...s-/221422117270

will make a significant improvement. These are even better if you clean up the reflectors as well.

Those LEDs look cool
McMark
Cleaning connections and grounds can help too.
Chris Pincetich
Last year I took the rear lights apart and cleaned the lenses, cleaned contacts, replaced all bulbs, and repainted the reflector w chrome paint. It made a huge difference!

Those ones on eBay look good beerchug.gif

Just received my new 7-inch GE Nighthawk LED headlights. If it's not raining all day, they'll get installed tomorrow w00t.gif

I'm basically hoping to get "headlights" pointing backwards while I am in reverse. Unfortunately, it's usually dark when I leave AND when I get home.
rnellums
Buy spokes LED tail lights, they produce a ton of light when you tap the brakes!
Spoke
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 21 2014, 07:14 PM) *

Cleaning connections and grounds can help too.

agree.gif

Here's a brake light from my 930. Notice all the oxidation and crud on the base.

When I installed an LED replacement, at first it didn't even light up. After jiggling the socket, it lit up a little bit.

After scraping the socket with a file, it got better but was still not right. The most secure point of ground connection for these bulbs are the 2 posts on the sides of the base. They contact the under side of the socket away from what can be reached with a file or sandpaper.

I ended up getting a Dremel tool with a wire wheel and cleaning out the socket. Now the LEDs work correctly.
McMark
Once upon a time, I did a rear fog light that bolted to the rear tow hook. It's a nice way to add a light in the back without cutting into the body. You could also use the threaded holes on the bottom of the targa bar. There are some great and cheap LED spotlights on eBay.
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2014, 12:59 PM) *

Once upon a time, I did a rear fog light that bolted to the rear tow hook. It's a nice way to add a light in the back without cutting into the body. You could also use the threaded holes on the bottom of the targa bar. There are some great and cheap LED spotlights on eBay.

Uh Dude, how'd you get that car down off those ramps? WTF.gif
McMark
It's a pro-mechanic trick. I'm sworn to secrecy.
914forme
Jack car up, place it on ramps. Lower car back down in reverse. confused24.gif Other way is if they are a bridged ramp setup, so you drive up an all 4 wheels end up onto of a box. You then can remove the middle and gain almost unencumbered access to the under side of the car. A nice piece of carpet and it is game on. Many a people swear by this setup and stacked 2x4s quick search will find several pictures of people doing just this.

This YouTube video shows lots of different options.

Sorry for the Hijack!!!

I run dual 55watt driving lights off the back of my truck for backup lights. Chevy factory tinted the rear windows so extra light was a must. Once they die, I will go LED light bar, and maybe a backup camera. It would also make hooking up trailers in the dark much easier with one person.

Of corse you could just build a turntable in your garage, aka bat cave style, no need for backup lights then. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.