Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Budget 2.0 rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ice cold
I know that budget means different things to different people but since I have no history on the poor running motor in my 76 2.0 liter it seems time to consider a rebuild. I am trying to figure the best way to have a dependable 100 hp+ motor. I think I will probably drop the motor myself and find someone to rebuild it and take it to a local pro for tuning. What parts would you recommend, part numbers would be appreciated. The fuel injection is long gone and new 40IDF Webers will be used. My local Porsche racing shop said it is 30 hours to rebuild, aka $3200 not including parts. Suggestions appreciated, would like to keep the whole deal under 5k.
Cap'n Krusty
Better plan carefully. Head work with parts often exceeds 1500 bucks ...

The Cap'n
funk
if nothing else go with deves rings get a valve job and make certain you change up your cam to one that jives with carbs!!more or less a minimum top ender along with the bearing replacements of course. you could do that yourself exept valve job for around 1500$ including carbs!!
ice cold
As I stated in the original post I have no history on this motor. I suspect the cam was not changed when the fuel injection was removed. As the Captain said head work can be pricey on 30 year old heads, was hoping to replace the heads. obviously can't afford the best but how are Scat heads. If I am reading correctly they are about 1k. Any place to look for parts that is particularly good. I have seen that KEM offers rebuilt short blocks as well as turn key motors. Any advise is appreciated.
OU8AVW
I recommend tearing it down and going slow. Build the short block, then work your way out. Time can allow your budget to expand slowly and mitigate the pain.
Java2570
I'd carefully research Scat heads.....the info I've seen is that they are not great for Type 4 street motors.
The info I've seen was admittedly dated but at that time (early 2000's), they were actually Type 1 heads modified for Type 4 bolt pattern and lack adequate cooling fins. Maybe take your heads to an experienced Type 4 machinist to look at and find out how much cost it would be to rebuild them. Give Joe at Series 9 in Deland, Fl a call, he has lots of experience with our cars.....http://www.914rs.com/
JStroud
This is what you need. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42456
914werke
Or this HERE
saigon71
If you end up needing a lot of head work, you may want to consider this route:

http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/Type-4...-and-Parts.html
ice cold
Thanks for the responses. There are factors to consider. For work to be done outside my area shipping seems to be both an expense and a hassle. I believe my local machine shop would be competent to rebuild a vw motor. As I originally posted I have no history on this motor. Replacing the camshaft is a given and if the motor has the original pistons and cylinders replacing them would be required to achieve to 100 horsepower mark correct? What p&c sets should I be looking at and from who? OC's motor build looks excellent but wouldn't shipping add $1000 to the cost.
JStroud
You could have your 2.0 cylinders bored to fit the 96mm Keith black pistons, then pick a cam to match your fuel delivery ( FI, carbs). Makes a 2056, built one for my car a few years ago...lots of fun, better torque.
KELTY360
Seems like you got lots of good input and then threw cold water on it because shipping could be a hassle. No way is shipping going to cost $1k. You can end up spending more money on a 'budget build' by insisting on a local vendor instead of people who work with the T4 all the time. Is the search function also a hassle? If you haven't contacted Series 9, as recommended earlier, you're making a mistake. Good luck.
Cap'n Krusty
If your "local machine shop" isn't intimately acquainted with air cooled engines in general, and T4 engines in particular, the learning curve is steep and you might just end up as the customer with the sad results of failing to successfully reach the end of that process. Trust me, just because they can do primo work on a Chevy, doesn't mean they're a good choice for work on a T4.

The Cap'n
mr2by4
Shipping should be closer to $250.
ice cold
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 23 2014, 03:33 PM) *

Seems like you got lots of good input and then threw cold water on it because shipping could be a hassle. No way is shipping going to cost $1k. You can end up spending more money on a 'budget build' by insisting on a local vendor instead of people who work with the T4 all the time. Is the search function also a hassle? If you haven't contacted Series 9, as recommended earlier, you're making a mistake. Good luck.

I have dropped a line to Series 9 and will give him a ring tomorrow. The 3 hour drive could be worthwhile and I would prefer to use someone with intimate knowledge of the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.