Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Columns...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Hey Guys..

Are a 73 914 and a 75-76 914 Steering Column the same?

I hope so...

Thanks..

Steve
JeffBowlsby
Not 100%. In what respect?

73-74 are metal housing, 75-76 are plastic housing
76-914
different switch's, also.
quadracerx
So not the same electrical connections... And not a bolt in replacement?

Thanks...

Steve
bdstone914
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Nov 22 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Thanks...

Steve

If you have a complete column with ignition switch, turn and wiper switches, etc. yes I see no reason you could not swap them.
Some one correct me if I am wrong but I think the electrical connectors for the switches are the same for 73-74 and 75-76.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 22 2014, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Nov 22 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Thanks...

Steve

If you have a complete column with ignition switch, turn and wiper switches, etc. yes I see no reason you could not swap them.
Some one correct me if I am wrong but I think the electrical connectors for the switches are the same for 73-74 and 75-76.

I have a 73-74 & 75-76 column here and the connectors look the same to me.
quadracerx
Thanks for the help... I have to trade columns because my fabricator cut the splined end off of the stock 75-76 column. So I have two choices:

Weld a U-Joint to the "stub" of the stock column

Replace the column with one I took off of my "Project Rusty" 73 914 and use a splined coupler on the end of the 73 column.

If the wiring is the same and it bolts in, I'm leaning toward using the 73 column...

Thoughts?

Thanks again...

Steve
JeffBowlsby
Why was the splined end removed? If it was a mistake, just find another 75 column. If intentional, its custom work and its up to you....
quadracerx
It was removed by mistake....

I already own the 73 Column so IF I can use it I would like to? But if it is not compatible with the 75-76 wiring for some reason, I will try and locate a 75-76 Column...

Thanks..

Steve
JeffBowlsby
So sell the 73 and buy the correct part.
rhodyguy
If he didn't know, he might have just loosened the pinch bolt, failed to fully remove it, fought with it for a while, figured it was seized up and cut it off. confused24.gif . Why wouldn't the shaft from the earlier car work?
jsaum
I have a complete 75 column with key I'll make you a heck of a deal on PM me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 23 2014, 01:54 PM) *
Why wouldn't the shaft from the earlier car work?

There are differences in length and angle over the years.

Not sure about '73 to '75 but i do know that '74 to '70 is a major pain in the backside.
shades.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2014, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 23 2014, 01:54 PM) *
Why wouldn't the shaft from the earlier car work?

There are differences in length and angle over the years.

Not sure about '73 to '75 but i do know that '74 to '70 is a major pain in the backside.
shades.gif

I recently removed a 73-74 type column from a 75 car. I do not see any problems you would have to install the earlier column complete.
quadracerx
Thanks guys...

Time to get the steering working....

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.