Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lug Nut Bolt Thread Count and Sizing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R_u_dd
What is the standard thread pattern for the lug nut bolts on 4 bolt wheels on a '71 914? I've got two stripped threads inside the hub that need to be tapped and rethreaded, but I don't know what size drill and tap to buy? Are german made nuts/bolts that are metric a different thread count than non-metric? What type of drill and tap set do I buy for those rusty bolts on a 914 that need rethreading?
914Sixer
14mm 1.5 pitch for the tap. Tap first, then see if you need to dill out. Make sure you use some lube. I keep some cutting oil around for such repairs.
bdstone914
QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Nov 22 2014, 07:46 PM) *

What is the standard thread pattern for the lug nut bolts on 4 bolt wheels on a '71 914? I've got two stripped threads inside the hub that need to be tapped and rethreaded, but I don't know what size drill and tap to buy? Are german made nuts/bolts that are metric a different thread count than non-metric? What type of drill and tap set do I buy for those rusty bolts on a 914 that need rethreading?

The thread is 14mm x 1.5. If the threads are stripped in the rear hub there is not much you can do but replace the hub and bearing. They should hold a torque of 90 ft lbs. If the bolts are bad just replace them. Lot of them around. If they have minor dings a thread file works well.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.