Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: De-Smogged 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Now that my 2.0 is no longer going to be equipped with any of the smog parts, does anyone know which ports on the plenumn can be plugged if any and how many will I actually need on the air cleaner? I know the one for the egr will be gone but not sure about the others. No charcoal canister either. Thanks.
SLITS
Plug in all the hoses you will use and them plug the remainder off with rubber caps.
Cap'n Krusty
Why would you ever remove the evap hoses and canister? It's NOT gonna make one iota of difference in the performance of your car, and helps keep the fuel fumes in the engine, NOT in the atmosphere. As for the EGR, it's used to control combustion chamber temps in the already-fragile heads. Just gonna increase the likelihood of cracks, guide wear, valve stem wear, and seat deterioration, ESPECIALLY if you have or are going to have increased compression. Eliminating the cat I can see, as well as the air pump. Gotta think these things out ........................ The Cap'n
Reiche
I'm with the Cap'n. Leave the evap can hooked up. It works just like he said. It is an emissions control device but it doesn't affect performance, and helps keep a few raw hydrocarbons out of the atmosphere.

You could disconnect the EGR but you will be further leaning out an already lean AFR. You should re-tune around the new configuration.
Allan
Okay, I'll leave the charcoal can in. What about these things? The round one at the top goes to the cat.
Reiche
The hose on the left is the air injection hose and check valve.

The vacuum can is on the EGR valve. When the valve opens it allows the exhaust gas to enter the intake stream at the air cleaner connection you are pointing at.
Allan
So if the cat is gone does the egr valve still work?
SLITS
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation = a poor attempt at recirculating a portion of the exhaust gas to fully burn the unburned fuel exiting the combustion chamber due to poor design of the chamber, ports, etc.......reduction of hydrocarbon emissions.

Yes, it will still work.

Burned cat tastes like chicken.

The catalytic converter reacts with various compounds in the exhaust stream....the catalyst is heat (combustion) which causes the Platnium, Rhodium and Paladium to react with other compounds and render them to a non-noxious state (can't remember the correct $025 college word I'm looking for).

I've had to much coffee today IPB Image
Allan
Where does it get the air from if it's plugged off. The PO had welded the line shut where it goes through the sheet metal towards the rear. The entire line back to the cat was also removed.
mattillac
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 1 2005, 07:31 PM)
The entire line back to the cat was also removed.

same with my car. the cat was missing too. no wonder it didn't pass smog. wacko.gif at least i don't have to worry about it now.
SLITS
It takes a stream from the exhaust and feeds it back into the intake. I haven't studied the system as I never owned a Teener with it. I would assume the blocked off tube was the supply back to the intake.

But

I don't really know.
Reiche
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 1 2005, 07:31 PM)
Where does it get the air from if it's plugged off.  The PO had welded the line shut where it goes through the sheet metal towards the rear.  The entire line back to the cat was also removed.

Without the tube from the exhaust to the valve, the EGR wasn't working anyway. It has to have the tube from the exhaust to the EGR valve to work. I guess you can go ahead and remove the rest since it's non-functioning at this point.
mattillac
you're air pump tube is probably clogged up solid. i sawed mine apart after trying to clean it. it was plugged solid with carbon. i had no chance of cleaning it out. that valve or whatever on the end of the tube also had some holes in it. i don't really feel bad about removing all that smog stuff because most of it was bad anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.